$400, 10 weeks later, NO PICTURES from Black Label!!

aamechs2

We went on a Med cruise June 30. We were so busy off the ship that we didn't have a chance to get pictures. So a few nights before the cruise ended, a photographer talked us into a Black and white photo session. We did the session and then the night before the cruise ended, we went to view the pictures. They turned out beautifully so we decided to get a couple. We were STUNNED when the lady told us that it was $400 for 2 pictures. We declined and went back to our room but I was really bummed over not having a family picture from the cruise. So we went back and bit the bullet and bought 2 for $400. The photographer said that it would be no more than 8 weeks to get the pictures.

Now it's been over 9 weeks and no pictures!! HAL is absolutely NO help! Apparently Black Label is a contractor and so HAL just gave me a phone number to call. No other assistance at all. I called and so far they have not returned my call.

It really makes me mad that #1 the pricing is not made clear up front and #2 that HAL now says it's not their problem. I had no way of knowing that it was a contractor, it's on the ship, in my opinion HAL should help handle it.

I am having the same problem. Three months of phone calls and not a single one returned. I know all HAL's vendors are sub contractors ( including the gym and salon ) but HAL should step in when the customer is getting no satisfaction from the vendor.

I don't know that your position is well taken. If you were staying in a hotel and had purchased something from one of the independently owned shops, would you expect that it was the hotel's responsibility? I suspect that the HAL hAs no responsibility, but it certainly should be made known to the line so that it afffects HAL's future contracts with the independent contractors.

As a consumers, it is our responsibility to determine the conditions under which we buy. How was you communication with the vendor unsatisfactory?

I had no idea that Black Label was an independent contractor until I contacted HAL to find out where the pictures were. The photographer never once told us that. We have been on lots of cruises and bought tons of pictures so it never occurred to me that a picture taken in the ship, in the shops photography area by one of the ships photographers was a contractor!!! Completely and totally different than going in a shop at a hotel!!!

And there has been no communication from Black Label, except the 2 messages I've left!!

So if my "position" is not well taken then it would be by some on these boards who believe that a cruise line never is at fault!! But we are not independently wealthy, and $400 was ALOT of money for 2 pictures, that still have not shown up almost 10 weeks later!!!

Did you put in a dispute with your credit card company? Assuming that the cost was billed to your room, the dispute becomes Holland America's problem. It doesn't matter if it's a contractor. What matters is who charged you.

If you were billed by Black Label directly, it becomes their problem. Either way, I'd start the dispute process ASAP. Most credit card companies will credit back the charge temporarily, making the merchant fight to get the money back.

I had no idea that Black Label was an independent contractor until I contacted HAL to find out where the pictures were. The photographer never once told us that. We have been on lots of cruises and bought tons of pictures so it never occurred to me that a picture taken in the ship, in the shops photography area by one of the ships photographers was a contractor!!! Completely and totally different than going in a shop at a hotel!!!

And there has been no communication from Black Label, except the 2 messages I've left!!

So if my "position" is not well taken then it would be by some on these boards who believe that a cruise line never is at fault!! But we are not independently wealthy, and $400 was ALOT of money for 2 pictures, that still have not shown up almost 10 weeks later!!!

All the cruise lines we've been on all photography services have been an independent contractor. Is that not the norm?

Did you put in a dispute with your credit card company? Assuming that the cost was billed to your room, the dispute becomes Holland America's problem. It doesn't matter if it's a contractor. What matters is who charged you.

If you were billed by Black Label directly, it becomes their problem. Either way, I'd start the dispute process ASAP. Most credit card companies will credit back the charge temporarily, making the merchant fight to get the money back.

This is the way to go and will give you the quickest results. Two things will happen.. you finally get communication with the photographer and get your pictures or you get a $400 credit to your card.

We also did the pictures on a cruise and were blown away when we went to look at the pictures and got the price. Although the pictures were great I couldn't justify the price. We thanked them and refused.

Always asked how much when traveling, otherwise you can count on getting an inflated price as tourists are targets for easy profits. This is true for anything from taxi rides to ordering the off-menu lunch special in a restaurant (a couple in our tour group was burned by that one), or restaurants that don't list beer prices on the menu. I don't care how it makes me appear to others. I always ask how much.

igraf

...We were STUNNED when the lady told us that it was $400 for 2 pictures. We declined and went back to our room but I was really bummed over not having a family picture from the cruise. So we went back and bit the bullet and bought 2 for $400. .....It really makes me mad that #1 the pricing is not made clear up front ...

How refreshing it is to read a thoughtful and helpful reply on CC.

POA1 has is right. Disputing with your credit card company is the best way to handle it. I would suggest doing it ASAP as some of them have time limits to file a dispute. It should be handled pretty quickly because the money gets charged back to whoever charged it (HAL or Black Label) and they don't like charge backs. I've been thru this process twice. Once when I was overcharged on a car rental and once when my card was skimmed as a gas station. Both times I've disputed it's been worked out quickly.

Absolutely! Regardless if it is a contractor' date=' HAL should be taking the lead on this.[/quote']

Without knowing how HAL's contract with Black Label reads, it is impossible to say what kind of "lead", if any, HAL can utilize. OP was well advised in this thread to challenge her credit card expense for the $400, provided that the expense was charged. it does no good to encourage OP to pressure HAL if HAL is in no way legally responsible. And, I emphasize "IF". It may well be that the most HAL can do is threaten to break its contract with Black Label and perhaps sue for non-performance. Neither of which may benefit the OP. Or, conversely, perhaps the contract may render HAL partially responsible. The point is: Unless one has seen the contract, all of this "helpful" advice to the OP is purely speculative and based on the theory of what someone thinks "should" be done.

Isn't HAL one of the cruise lines that offers a guarantee on what you buy in the Caribbean (maybe other ports) if you shop in their "recommended" stores? I know I've seen that somewhere, but don't remember what line it was. They promise to help you get your money back if there's a problem with a purchase.

If so, HAL should offer the same support in resolving an issue with one of their contractors.

In any case, getting your credit card company involved is definitely a good move.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

This would be my choice. I'd leave another message to the effect that I am disputing the charge in 48 hours unless I receive a call back and corrective action.

OP, I am sorry you are having this problem. Thank you for informing the board about problems with this contractor. I knew about the subcontracting but did not know one does not receive the pictures while onboard. That would be a dealbreaker for many of us now that we know about it.

I finally got hold of Black Label. I was told that the pictures would be mailed at the end of next week, which would make it 12 weeks! I asked to speak to a supervisor and a guy with an English type accent came on. To his credit he was very polite and offered to refund my money or expedite the pictures. I asked for a refund since one was a picture that I purchased for my kids grandparents anniversary. (My ex in laws) He sent out an email that day stating that it would be refunded thru HAL.

I'm glad he did that because I really did not want to dispute the HAL charges since my issue was with the amount for the pictures (though maybe I could just dispute that amount, I'm not sure how that would work). I am sad that now we don't have an official Med cruise picture but lesson learned, I will never wait to take pictures again nor will I pay for something that isn't delivered on the ship.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I really appreciated it.

I finally got hold of Black Label. I was told that the pictures would be mailed at the end of next week, which would make it 12 weeks! I asked to speak to a supervisor and a guy with an English type accent came on. To his credit he was very polite and offered to refund my money or expedite the pictures. I asked for a refund since one was a picture that I purchased for my kids grandparents anniversary. (My ex in laws) He sent out an email that day stating that it would be refunded thru HAL.

I'm glad he did that because I really did not want to dispute the HAL charges since my issue was with the amount for the pictures (though maybe I could just dispute that amount, I'm not sure how that would work). I am sad that now we don't have an official Med cruise picture but lesson learned, I will never wait to take pictures again nor will I pay for something that isn't delivered on the ship.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I really appreciated it.

and we appreciate you posting your issue. It's a good warning for others.

I'm glad you have an email confirming and I would now be emailing HAL to make sure it is expedited.

Glad it has worked out (so far) for you.