Very Loyal HAL'er Sailed DAWN

sail7seas

This is a very long thread and I caution in advance there are many interceding posts between what I wrote and what others posted on the thread I wrote on the HAL forum.

I never write formal reviews but prefer posting my impressions and comments of experiences on my cruises.

My DH and I sailed over 80 cruises on HAL and since his passing last year, I have not been able to board a HAL ship without him.

Good friends I think the world of asked if I wanted to sail DAWN with them from Boston to Bermuda. We have sailed with them before but never anywhere but HAL and I thought it the perfect way to try to get back 'to sea'.

Here's a link to our experiences on that cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2244691

Thanks to anyone who has the patience to read the long thread. :)

(I first posted the wrong link and sorry to anyone who tried it and was misdirected. I fixed it. :o)

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you so much for letting us know you'd posted in the HAL forum - I'd never have thought to look there for your review otherwise.

As a neophyte to the cruising lifestyle, I've spent the last three years seeing the world through the eyes of the more experienced here on CC. Your posts in the various forums (like "Ask a Cruise Question"), have always stood out for their elegance and grace, and I've been eagerly awaiting your thoughts on NCL since you first mentioned you'd be giving them a try.

Wherever your travels take you in the future, may you have smooth seas and calm winds.

I read the whole thread and while there were some misconceptions with some details by you and others in that thread, I think you wrote a really nice and balanced review.

Interesting to see how other people responded to it too, we all have our assumptions and ideas of different cruise lines and just like many there were impressed by your review, I was too about the fact that pretty much nobody questioned your cruise on a "lesser" cruise line but many were clearly open to the idea. :)

Dawn is an older ship, the Jewel class that was mentioned (Jewel, Pearl, Gem and Jade) in the other thread is an improved, newer and only slightly bigger version of Dawn class so there definitely are some things better on those newer ships.

I too wouldn't recommend new megaships (Epic, Breakaway, Getaway and soon Escape) for you, but would suggest sometime trying a Jewel class ship, maybe in Haven (altough perk wise the only difference between Haven suites and the suite you now had is the private outside area).

I read the whole thread and while there were some misconceptions with some details by you and others in that thread, I think you wrote a really nice and balanced review.

Interesting to see how other people responded to it too, we all have our assumptions and ideas of different cruise lines and just like many there were impressed by your review, I was too about the fact that pretty much nobody questioned your cruise on a "lesser" cruise line but many were clearly open to the idea. :)

Dawn is an older ship, the Jewel class that was mentioned (Jewel, Pearl, Gem and Jade) in the other thread is an improved, newer and only slightly bigger version of Dawn class so there definitely are some things better on those newer ships.

I too wouldn't recommend new megaships (Epic, Breakaway, Getaway and soon Escape) for you, but would suggest sometime trying a Jewel class ship, maybe in Haven (altough perk wise the only difference between Haven suites and the suite you now had is the private outside area).

I have to agree with you.:)

The HAL boards were very nice about NCL. :cool:

I as thinking the same thing...

:D

This is a very long thread and I caution in advance there are many interceding posts between what I wrote and what others posted on the thread I wrote on the HAL forum.

I never write formal reviews but prefer posting my impressions and comments of experiences on my cruises.

My DH and I sailed over 80 cruises on HAL and since his passing last year, I have not been able to board a HAL ship without him.

Good friends I think the world of asked if I wanted to sail DAWN with them from Boston to Bermuda. We have sailed with them before but never anywhere but HAL and I thought it the perfect way to try to get back 'to sea'.

Here's a link to our experiences on that cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2244691

Thanks to anyone who has the patience to read the long thread. :)

(I first posted the wrong link and sorry to anyone who tried it and was misdirected. I fixed it. :o)

I remember you well from my days aboard the ships of HAL, and on that board. I haven't been there in ages, but I would like to share my condolences on the loss of your dear husband. I hope that now you have taken the first step on another cruise line, we may see you aboard another cruise with us on NCL.

Thanks for sharing you trip with us. I am really happy you had a great trip. We sailed on the Dawn on her first trip from NY when she was new. At that time she was built to be the NYC ship and was there year round. She had less cabins then. There was a very large forward observation lounge on the top deck and game rooms that have now been turned into suites. She was built able to due 25 knots so she could get down to Florida in a day and half. On those trips in seven days she went to Port Canaval, Miami, Nassau, and the private island. As at every line now she goes slower to save fuel and the great public space is now earning money. Thanks again for posting.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much for the nice comments.

I especially appreciate you remarked the HAL group were kind about NCL. They should be, IMO. No reason to not.

Everyone here has been very polite and kind to me during my planning stage of my cruise and some of my questions I suspect might have been annoying. :o

The folks here on NCL/CC are a very nice bunch as are most of the folks I met on board Dawn. I met some very nice, very engaging people.

Edited by sail7seas

Having just been on HAL, I know why it was hard for you to change. The Dawn is a great choice for someone taking their first non-HAL cruise. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Having just taken my first HAL cruise, I've been lurking around and asking questions on the HAL boards since June. Everyone on the HAL boards is a lot nicer to everyone about everything. It might be worth changing cruise lines for the HAL boards alone. While there are many super-helpful people on NCL, there are some very short-tempered people on the NCL boards these days.

I as thinking the same thing...

:D

Yeah, I was thinking - "They are really rational and reasonable over there, can they replace the usual NCL complainers because I really like most of HAL board ones." They weren't jerky or getting personal regarding what they didn't like about NCL, they just stated it wasn't for them for whatever reason and kept it moving. They seem very sweet. :)

And thank you for the review, Sail7seas, it really was helpful in seeing the contrast between the 2 lines. Matter of fact, you describe part of what I didn't like about Carnival the line better in words than I could - It does seem like staff was rushing to get stuff done more on Carnival than on NCL and looked more frazzled and upset too. On NCL, the staff seem more smiling / cordial and were even happy to take the plate/cup away from the person even if the dirty dish bin was right next to the person. Yes, you're right, it does seem like there's more staff and service on NCL overall per passenger; can't say that's a bad - it more like a good thing actually, lol. Guess next trip, I'll find out if it been reduced or not, but doesn't see like judging from other review - sounds like its same old, same old service. :p

Glad you had fun on your trip and condolences - its not easy to travel by yourself when you been going as a couple for so long but it does get better, bit by bit as you travel more. So please, next time try the Jewel class ships or the Celebrity - they really do seem to fit you better than the bigger ships like the Breakawy or Oasis. Enjoy your trips on whatever cruise line(s) you sail on. :)

Thanks for your review, it was really interesting and, yes, I stayed until the end.

I'll be on the Dawn in December in an aft penthouse.

You might want to try the Pearl (I mention her, because she is my favorite ship), she has a Haven (the exception is that it doesn't have it's own restaurant, you go to Moderno for breakfast and lunch).

Sail,

Thanks so much for your post. I enjoyed reading it and am glad you enjoyed the Dawn. I will agree with many of the posters on the Hal thread that I believe you would enjoy the Jewel class ships if you were to sail on NCL again. Sending warm thoughts your way!

Carrie

Thank you for a lovely review. I read the whole thread and enjoyed the comments from your fellow HAL cruisers. So nice to see the real affection and kindness.

Someone in the thread wondered whether the balcony experience would be as good. I have sailed NCL many times in balcony cabins and once in a penthouse suite. Of course the suite was wonderful, and all the extra perks were amazing. But if I was sailing solo, even if I could afford the suite, I would sail in a balcony cabin, and save my money for excursions. The only real downside is that the balcony cabin is a little small for two people, but it would be roomy for a solo. If you are reserving a balcony cabin you might find more availability in mid-ship, be closer to the elevators, and avoid the rocking.

Staff are still incredibly nice and attentive--no matter what kind of cabin you have.

Edited by crayola1932

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for a lovely review. I read the whole thread and enjoyed the comments from your fellow HAL cruisers. So nice to see the real affection and kindness.

Someone in the thread wondered whether the balcony experience would be as good. I have sailed NCL many times in balcony cabins and once in a penthouse suite. Of course the suite was wonderful, and all the extra perks were amazing. But if I was sailing solo, even if I could afford the suite, I would sail in a balcony cabin, and save my money for excursions. The only real downside is that the balcony cabin is a little small for two people, but it would be roomy for a solo. If you are reserving a balcony cabin you might find more availability in mid-ship, be closer to the elevators, and avoid the rocking.

Staff are still incredibly nice and attentive--no matter what kind of cabin you have.

Thanks for posting about the balcony cabin. I wondered how the experience compares. I've been looking at both HAL and NCL cruises and don't know when or if I'll sail again but I am happy to be gathering more info about NCL. :)

Sail, that was my very first time visiting the HAL section of the board. I stayed with your review until the very end, and found it very nice. We have sailed the Dawn before, and are going on her again in November. I just wanted to tell you even though I don't know you, reading about how this was your first time back cruising without your DH, you had my heart. I agree with what others have said about living your life the way he would have wanted you to....and I am sure that was so very hard for you to do. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Thank you for sharing this with us. I think the HAL folks were very kind, and I'm so glad that you loved your first NCL cruise :)

I just came back last week from the Dawn in an aft penthouse. It's a "smaller" ship, but I had a friend as forward as you can go, and it sure was a hike! He was the only one who got a little queasy on the cruise too, so aft is likely easier on the tummy, though mid is always the best bet.

I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved husband, I'm sure this is a very difficult time.