Reports of Triumph getting "Sunshine" conversion!

A&Jfamily

We were on the Triumph last week and had not only the Alchemy bartenders, but also the hotel manager tell us that Triumph is going into dry dock in 2019 to get the Sunshine overhaul. According to the bartenders, Carnival had sent them all a memo and the hotel manager even mentioned that the aft lounge on 5 would become cabins. I haven't checked for any official releases, and didn't see any threads on this, but this appears to be great news for those of us that love the Sunshine. Shoot - we really loved the Triumph as she is - it is one of the best run ships we have been on in terms of organization, traffic flow, quality control etc. Would said her again in a heartbeat!

I know that John Heald alluded to news about the Triumph in a FaceBook post recently. I haven't cruised the Sunshine, but I felt that the Triumph was pretty crowded already with out adding passengers and reducing public space. Of course it was a school break week which didn't help, but it was packed!

I read this as well about Triumph, but regarding traffic flow, I've been on sister ship Victory a number of times and my biggest pet peeve with the ship is the very poor traffic flow throughout and adding more cabins and going upwards doesn't seem to improve things; less space, more people, but I do think Sunshine looks quite nice.

Victory goes to dry dock soon for some 2.0 upgrades, will be interesting to see how they compare in 2019.

If true about more cabins and less public space it doesn't surprise me. Carnival has been all about cutbacks the last few years. The dry dock length is half as short as Sunshine was so I don't think they'd be able to do as much. They should call it Eclipse for what they might take away and because it won't have as much done as Sunshine.

I'm always entertained by folks who have an opinion on the Sunshine conversion who have never sailed on either Destiny or Sunshine.

Converting the Triumph is a great idea. The blueprints already exist. And Carnival can 'pick and choose' based on their previous experience with the Destiny conversion doing only what 'worked'.

I'm always entertained by folks who have an opinion on the Sunshine conversion who have never sailed on either Destiny or Sunshine.

Converting the Triumph is a great idea. The blueprints already exist. And Carnival can 'pick and choose' based on their previous experience with the Destiny conversion doing only what 'worked'.

The dozen or more people I know that have sailed both Destiny & Sunshine didn't like her. That ship has often received poor reviews about congestion & theater/club setup. Carnival certainly didn't learn what "worked" in regards to the theater as the Vista has a similar setup and gets horrible reviews. I've avoided Sunshine for the poor reviews and friends first hand experiences. Now they can Sunshine/Eclipse Triumph and bring it out west and I'd get back on her.

Probably be a tad easier since the Triumph ( and Victory), were designed with an extra deck forward (Panorama) that the Destiny didn't have. :cool:

Edited by Jamman54

The dozen or more people I know that have sailed both Destiny & Sunshine didn't like her. That ship has often received poor reviews about congestion & theater/club setup. Carnival certainly didn't learn what "worked" in regards to the theater as the Vista has a similar setup and gets horrible reviews. I've avoided Sunshine for the poor reviews and friends first hand experiences. Now they can Sunshine/Eclipse Triumph and bring it out west and I'd get back on her.

It's not perfect and negative reviews about the Comedy Club are accurate. Not a huge fan of the new main theater either. But she has the best top deck (especially Serenity) in the fleet. Looking forward to that being replicated on Triumph.

One of the things Carnival talked about during the Sunshine conversion was finding a way not to have total 'dead space' in any of the common areas of the ship (also defined as dead time). So I think the combining of the club with the main showroom was part of that multi-purpose effort. Mixed results for sure.

Huh,go figure, we loved the Sunshine a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the Destiny. When we cruised her (twice) she had exceeded our expectations, as from my view most people who sail her feel the same way (other then the twelve you mention). Not sure where you get all this negative info from....

Carnival knows what worked and what does not. Th main show room (and comedy club) has been repeated on the Vista and soon to be on the Horizon and Vista III. I think they have a grasp. Your dislike (pretty much of most things Carnival) must be falling on deaf ears....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One of the things Carnival talked about during the Sunshine conversion was finding a way not to have total 'dead space' in any of the common areas of the ship (also defined as dead time). So I think the combining of the club with the main showroom was part of that multi-purpose effort. Mixed results for sure.

Mixed review follow most ships, that said, I would be really interested in what they could and could not do in 2 months of dry dock which I assume will be stateside. Time will tell.

Huh,go figure, we loved the Sunshine a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the Destiny. When we cruised her (twice) she had exceeded our expectations, as from my view most people who sail her feel the same way (other then the twelve you mention). Not sure where you get all this negative info from....

Carnival knows what worked and what does not. Th main show room (and comedy club) has been repeated on the Vista and soon to be on the Horizon and Vista III. I think they have a grasp. Your dislike (pretty much of most things Carnival) must be falling on deaf ears....

jimbo, you've been across the whole fleet. Your thoughts on the different classes? We've liked each for different reasons but have only been on Conquest class, Splendor class, Destiny/Sunshine class, and Spirit class. Thoughts on Dream and Vista class? (Need to try out one of those Coves. Bucket list.)

I've been on the Destiny, Victory, Sunshine and Triumph. If Carnival can pull off what they did with the Destiny/Sunshine I am all for it. I was on the Triumph in Dec 2017 and yes it getting "Sunshined".

And there's no reason to think the can't.

jimbo, you've been across the whole fleet. Your thoughts on the different classes? We've liked each for different reasons but have only been on Conquest class, Splendor class, Destiny/Sunshine class, and Spirit class. Thoughts on Dream and Vista class? (Need to try out one of those Coves. Bucket list.)

My wife loves the Dream class, in particular the Breeze. As you know they add small things (but sometimes significant) to each ship in a class. We will be sailing on the Breeze for our 5th time on a Journeys 14 day cruise next November and she is very excited for that.

I am a big fan of the Spirit class and wish they could stay around forever. That said, the Vista is my fav ship ship and we have sailed her twice (I have reviews out there) and I plain out LOVED the Havana rooms. Our first sailing on a med sailing, we stayed in a regular balcony (due to the cost and amount of time out of the room) but had someone in our party stay in a Havana Cabana which we toured and I was totally taken with. Our next sailing (out of Miami) on the Vista we stayed in that very room and LOVED it. We are staying in a Havana Cabana suite on the Horizon this coming July. That said, Havana rooms are expensive. Coves are a unique cabin, if you like ocean sounds, it is really good. The balconies are a little restrictive.

Hope this helps...

I sailed Destiny twice out of San Juan and sailed Sunshine once. I was not fond of the Destiny, but I have determined never to sail the Sunshine again. Lines, crowded, almost impossible to get a seat in the comedy club, etc.

That being said, hopefully, they will learn from the Sunshine's shortfalls and it will not be too bad. triumph is one of the few Carnival ships that I have not been on.

I still like the Spirit class, and was excited to hear at a plat/Diamond party on a recent Miracle cruise that Carnival is building a new ship in Finland modeled on that class ship.

I sailed Destiny twice out of San Juan and sailed Sunshine once. I was not fond of the Destiny, but I have determined never to sail the Sunshine again. Lines, crowded, almost impossible to get a seat in the comedy club, etc.

That being said, hopefully, they will learn from the Sunshine's shortfalls and it will not be too bad. triumph is one of the few Carnival ships that I have not been on.

I still like the Spirit class, and was excited to hear at a plat/Diamond party on a recent Miracle cruise that Carnival is building a new ship in Finland modeled on that class ship.

True, they are returning to a Finish yard, but the two they have signed for are mega liners, so don't go thinking they will be Spirit class ships.

I would love to have the refurbished Triumph after leaving dry dock in May 2019, come to New York for the summer and early fall. I would book the 7 day Canada cruise the instant it went on sale! :cool:

This! Please! Sailed on the Sunshine and loved her, didn't get to sail on the Destiny but did sail on the Triumph and most recently the Victory, so I'm all for this. Would also mark 10 years since my first cruise which was on he Trimuph so it makes this even better.

Jimbo #13 couldn't be anymore, right? Same gripes...nuff said