Gratuities & tips are not obligatory

Hi All,

I just wanted to share something with new cruisers (and old if they do not know this).

As I am sure you are aware each cruiser will have gratuities & tips added to their SeaPass account every day (unless you have paid these in advance with your booking).

I don't actually agree with these automatic tips, as I feel that I should decide who has earned this & most importantly how much I wish to tip.

As a family of 5 travelling the cost per day @ $13.50 for 7 days will be quite considerable at $472.50! Now I can honestly say that I would never tip this much during a weeks land holiday so will certainly not be forced to pay this at sea.

Now for those of you not in the know, please take note. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY. That's right, there is not obligation on your part to pay. The booking information and website will not highlight this as RC want you to pay. When reading their information is does make you feel like this is obligatory, however if you read the very, very small print you will note this is not the case. All you need to do is go to reception on Day 1 and ask that these gratuities & tips are removed from your account....and voila!

You can then reward the staff members that you want to reward.

Happy cruising.

Posts like these should include all the facts about the gratuity system so people can make educated decisions.

Please present them.

I always leave them as is but virtually never add to them. Just wondering what the misrepresentation is in the OP.

Perhaps not ALL the facts but at least some of them:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-service-gratuity-expense

What is Royal Caribbean's gratuity price and policy?

The automatic gratuity is $13.50 USD, or $16.50 USD for suite guests, applied to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. Yes, the gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories. Our daily totals are in the middle range when compared to competitors' suggestions. Any modifications or adjustments to your gratuities are required to be requested before you depart your cruise. Here's how it is shared between your onboard service team:

Standard Staterooms:

$6.35 - Dining Services

$3.45 - Stateroom Attendant

$3.70 - Other Hotel Services

Suites:

$6.35 - Dining Services

$6.10 - Suite Attendant

$4.05 - Other Hotel Services

In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services during their cruise. Guests have the opportunity to adjust this gratuity at their discretion until the morning of their departure. Guests who have prepaid their gratuity won't see a daily charge during their cruise.

The automatic daily gratuity is based on customary industry standards. Applying this charge automatically helps streamline the recognition process for the crew members that work to enhance your cruise. We hope you find the gratuity to be an accurate reflection of your satisfaction and thank you for your generous recognition of our staff. Should you have questions or wish to adjust the amount of the gratuity, visit the Guest Services desk onboard by the morning of your departure from your cruise.

Please present them.

I always leave them as is but virtually never add to them. Just wondering what the misrepresentation is in the OP.

I didn't say there was a misrepresentation. it is a fact that you can skip paying the auto-gratuities. In addition to the post above quoting the website, here are other points to consider...

1) The vast majority of service personnel income comes from the gratuities, not from RCI wages.

2) Cash in lieu of the automatic gratuities (as opposed to additional cash) must be "tip-shared" with non-front line service personnel in the same way as the automatic gratuities. Notice how the only individual service personnel called out in the list is the stateroom/suite attendant. The rest are groups of people, some of which you may never come into contact with. Yet the majority of their income is derived from the "gratuity".

3) Dining service personnel are providing their services beyond just dinner in the MDR... they also serve at other venues during mealtime. I guess you could "tip" appropriately at every meal, but that's a lot of work having to carry around cash at every meal and figuring out how many people helped you and what an appropriate gratuity would be.

4) If you have MTD in the MDR you may not get the same servers every evening, so it makes it more difficult to deliver the gratuity to "the right person".

I'll be honest, the people who work on the cruise ship deserve to make good money. It's a lot of hard work, more than I would ever want to do.

Now, with that being said, if I feel like I have received VERY poor service, I would definitely go down and ask them to have that portion of the gratuity removed.

But as an American, I know that a lot of the workers on a ship make very little money so I don't mind the automatic gratuities. I'll even give extra for crewmembers that I feel have done an excellent job.

Thanks for your comment nolesrules.

I get what you are saying, however staff wages should not be my concern.....there I have said it! Many will feel the exact same I am sure, but will not be brave enough say.

Having spent thousands on this cruise I do not feel it that I should automatically be forced to cough up almost $500 dollars.

That being said I always tip those I have had direct contact with that have given excellent service. Those behind the scenes will be missed, and that is something I honestly never thought about. Maybe I will offer something at the end to be shared, but most certainly not what that intend on adding.:(

Just off the Anthem. Met a guy in the Windjammer. He was from Guatemala. He Has 3 children who live with his mother. His wife passed away giving birth to their 3rd child. He was so happy to be onboard and very proud of the money he was sending back to support his mother and children. He said is is blessed to have such a good job. Meanwhile, I'm thinking - You have faced tremendous adversity, lost your spouse, spend 8 months away from your children, and get to clean plates of uneaten food that people let their children pile on plates(that's another conversation!), and you consider yourself blessed.

There is no way he would earn money to send home if he relied on "self tippers" for his wages. I'm just in awe(and not in a good way) of people who want to deprive these hardworking people of their tips.

I get what you are saying, however staff wages should not be my concern.....there I have said it! Many will feel the exact same I am sure, but will not be brave enough say.

Having spent thousands on this cruise I do not feel it that I should automatically be forced to cough up almost $500 dollars.

That being said I always tip those I have had direct contact with that have given excellent service. Those behind the scenes will be missed, and that is something I honestly never thought about. Maybe I will offer something at the end to be shared, but most certainly not what that intend on adding.:(

Just consider it a separate line item for service personnel wages that's part of the total cost.

I agree that staff wages shouldn't be your concern, but the fact is that's how service personnel receive the majority of their compensation on cruises, so it should be a consideration.

What you are saying is that you really don't care if the people taking care of you actually get paid or not unless you have direct contact with them in an ongoing manner.

:(

Out of curiosity, what do you consider an appropriate amount of a gratuity?

Thanks Biker19......sounds like the ship has hit the fan (see what I did there):')

TC1957...... RC have said I do not need to inform them prior to departure. As long as you go to the reception desk on Day 1 you can have these removed....no questions asked.

Tips will be paid to those individuals that I feel are deserving. My last cruise had an absolutely horrendous cabin attendant who actually ripped an expensive dress and left an apology note! Other staff were absolutely delightful & bent over backwards to help. Therefore I choose who should be rewarded with a tip & how much.:D.

Staff wages are not your concern? Really? Royal as well as others could build them into the cost of the cruise, but choose to let the cruisers do the right thing. Tip!

Those auto tips go to some that you never see, but provide a service to you and your family. If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford the cruise. If you can afford the cruise, you can afford to tip. You don't like the service from a particular person, then remove or cut them some. When you start a post like this you just sound like you are cheap!

Just off the Anthem. Met a guy in the Windjammer. He was from Guatemala. He Has 3 children who live with his mother. His wife passed away giving birth to their 3rd child. He was so happy to be onboard and very proud of the money he was sending back to support his mother and children. He said is is blessed to have such a good job. Meanwhile, I'm thinking - You have faced tremendous adversity, lost your spouse, spend 8 months away from your children, and get to clean plates of uneaten food that people let their children pile on plates(that's another conversation!), and you consider yourself blessed.

There is no way he would earn money to send home if he relied on "self tippers" for his wages. I'm just in awe(and not in a good way) of people who want to deprive these hardworking people of their tips.

Very valid. BTW...that average annual income of people in Guatemala is $1,619 (US)...so if he is getting $100 a week in base salary he is making three times the national average...before anyone pays "gratuities". I understand crew members work hard...but a lot of people work hard...and those people asked for those contracts.

I am part of the group that feels the cruise lines should just raise the rate to include the fee.

Nope, not going to be made to feel guilty.

Bottom line is if I have booked a land holiday in a hotel or apartment I would not be expected to pay almost $500 in tips. Yes, I would tip waiters, doormen, room service, room cleaners etc.... but this would not go towards the behind the scenes staff.

I assume mjkacmom, nolesrules & cruisinfanatic when staying at a hotel that you all are quite generous and leave a massive tip to be shared to all the behind the scenes staff? Can you confirm that is the case?

The comment about not affording the cruise if you cannot afford to tip is daft. We as a family have saved for 3 years for this cruise. We are not well off by any means, and can afford to tip. As stated in the OP this should be down to choice.

Don't always assume that cruisers are very wealthy people and that all staff are paid an absolute pittance and/or are living in poverty.

WOW! The stereotyping poverty police are out to play.

I just consider it part of my fare. Just like when I go out to dinner I consider the tip part of the bill. I know going in that I have to add $500 to the cost. If I'm not willing to pay it, I go on a different vacation.

If I had horrendous service that would be a different story.

Hi All,

I just wanted to share something with new cruisers (and old if they do not know this).

As I am sure you are aware each cruiser will have gratuities & tips added to their SeaPass account every day (unless you have paid these in advance with your booking).

I don't actually agree with these automatic tips, as I feel that I should decide who has earned this & most importantly how much I wish to tip.

As a family of 5 travelling the cost per day @ $13.50 for 7 days will be quite considerable at $472.50! Now I can honestly say that I would never tip this much during a weeks land holiday so will certainly not be forced to pay this at sea.

Now for those of you not in the know, please take note. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY. That's right, there is not obligation on your part to pay. The booking information and website will not highlight this as RC want you to pay. When reading their information is does make you feel like this is obligatory, however if you read the very, very small print you will note this is not the case. All you need to do is go to reception on Day 1 and ask that these gratuities & tips are removed from your account....and voila!

Happy cruising.

Thank You for the information.

I just consider it part of my fare. Just like when I go out to dinner I consider the tip part of the bill. I know going in that I have to add $500 to the cost. If I'm not willing to pay it, I go on a different vacation.

If I had horrendous service that would be a different story.

I fully agree with you, if I can´t afford to pay the gratuities, I´d stay at home, but it´s always the same on these tipping threads, someone will post he has every right to not tip (which is correct) and nothing is going to change those peoples opinion anyway.

See this line from the OP:

Mostly these people are just looking for supporters to justify their stiffing of the cew members.

Anyway, this will go back and forth forever and nothing will change. There are likely hundreds of threads like this one.

Really nothing new the OP posted.

Thanks Biker19......sounds like the ship has hit the fan (see what I did there):')

TC1957...... RC have said I do not need to inform them prior to departure. As long as you go to the reception desk on Day 1 you can have these removed....no questions asked.

Tips will be paid to those individuals that I feel are deserving. My last cruise had an absolutely horrendous cabin attendant who actually ripped an expensive dress and left an apology note! Other staff were absolutely delightful & bent over backwards to help. Therefore I choose who should be rewarded with a tip & how much.:D.

Bottom line is if I have booked a land holiday in a hotel or apartment I would not be expected to pay almost $500 in tips. Yes, I would tip waiters, doormen, room service, room cleaners etc.... but this would not go towards the behind the scenes staff.

I assume mjkacmom, nolesrules & cruisinfanatic when staying at a hotel that you all are quite generous and leave a massive tip to be shared to all the behind the scenes staff? Can you confirm that is the case?

The comment about not affording the cruise if you cannot afford to tip is daft. We as a family have saved for 3 years for this cruise. We are not well off by any means, and can afford to tip. As stated in the OP this should be down to choice.

Don't always assume that cruisers are very wealthy people and that all staff are paid an absolute pittance and/or are living in poverty.

So basically it boils down to the fact that you think the tips are to much,you will tip some people but not to the amount recommended. Obviously not being used to the American tipping culture, where "normally" tipped employees are paid 1/2 of the minimum wage, it may seem expensive, but if the 5 of you were to go to Denny's or Ihop for breakfast, you bill would probably be in the $75 range, standard 20% tip is $15.00, lunch probably about the same, maybe a little more, so another $15 - $18 tip, dinner is normally more expensive so for 5 a figure of $150 is reasonable, giving a tip of $30.00. So just for eating out, you are looking at a reasonable tip expense of $63.00 or $12.60 a person, where as on a ship for $13.50 per person you are taking care of all dining and hotel services, seems pretty cheap to a person used to tipping. Just add the recommended gratuities to you initial booking, treat it as part of the overall cost, just as you do taxes and fees, and ensure the staff are fairly compenstated for their work.

Hi All,

Happy cruising.

While "you do not have to pay", I will ask you these questions..."Do you not tip your waiter/waitress when dining out?" Do you not tip for drinks served to you? Why would it be any different on a ship where you are eating up to 5 or 6 times daily and having your cabin serviced?"

MARAPRINCE

Land vacation and hotel compensation is handled differently from cruise line service personnel compensation, so it is an apples and oranges comparison.

This is like comparing the base wage and tipping custom in a country where the base wage for a waiter is live-able and tips are really just extra vs. one where the base wage is minimal and it's the tips that make the earnings live-able.

Your "choice" is between paying those that take care of you and not paying those that take care of you. If you are making that choice based on whether or not the appropriate amount is more money than you are willing to spend because you've already spent thousands of dollars, then you should choose a different form of vacation that better fits your budget.

Land vacations and cruise vacations are two different things. Staff on land vacations here in the US get paid at least a minimum wage for those positions. Therefore, the cost of these vacations is higher. We also saved three years for our last cruise, family of 7, 1 income. When we go out to eat, I don't stiff the server because of the cost for the 7 of us to eat (and the minimum wage for servers here is $2.14 an hour). If I didn't agree with the pay structure, I'd stay home.