Price of bottle of wine in Celebrity dining room?

Seachange12

That's more than twice the price!!!! That's 5 times the price! And yes...you will pay a BUNDLE for mediocre wine. I'm not a wine snob, but I simply won't pay the price for wine on a ship. I'll stick to vodka tonic or beer...more "bang" for your buck.

That's more than twice the price!!!! That's 5 times the price! And yes...you will pay a BUNDLE for mediocre wine. I'm not a wine snob, but I simply won't pay the price for wine on a ship. I'll stick to vodka tonic or beer...more "bang" for your buck.

My husband used to own bars and restaurants. He's tried to explain this to me several times, but I admit that I have a hard time accepting it (and I'm an ex accountant!)

If one takes the price of wholesale liquor (vodka, rum, etc) and converts that liter into what is used to make one drink, the profit margin on that liquor far exceeds the profit margin on wine - even when wine is marked up 4X to 5X. Do the math - he's right.

Which is yet ANOTHER reason we no longer sail without an alcohol package. And that's one of the main reasons we stick with Celebrity.

I’d agree with others. Figure 3-5 X retail.

I haven’t checked onboard, but one of the “secrets” ashore is that higher end, i.e. more expensive wines, tend to have a lower markup. Onshore, that’s a combination of people won’t pay $500 for a $100 bottle of wine, and a $100 bottle was probably bought when it’s retail was lower. On the ships,they seem to sell things way too young, so the second part may not apply.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the best and cheapest way to use an unlocked iphone to ring from Italy to Australia? I have read that Vodaphone offer $5 a day deals for talk and text or is it better to take out my Optus sim card and purchase one for Europe when i arrive? I only need to makecand acess texts from home and make an occasional call.

You are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin on embarkation. Put them in your carry-on bags. Ask your cabin steward to bring wine glasses to enjoy the wine in your cabin. There is a $25 corkage fee if you bring them to the dining room.

You are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin on embarkation. Put them in your carry-on bags. Ask your cabin steward to bring wine glasses to enjoy the wine in your cabin. There is a $25 corkage fee if you bring them to the dining room.

Just for helpful clarification: there is a $25 corkage fee if you bring the bottle to the dining room.

A decent bottle of wine which sells for $15-17 in a wine store in the US will be in the $50+ range which isn’t much different from what we pay in a restaurant at home.

I paid $30 for a bottle of Beringer white zinfandel that I know I could buy for $15 in a liquor store (or less) BUT, I'm also paying for the service and for not having to store my wine, keep it chilled in a tiny fridge where it won't fit standing up, drink it alone in my stateroom and have it survive the plane ride intact.....and don't forget to bring your own corkscrew! We don't buy the beverage package because we don't drink enough to break even. It all depends on how many glasses of fresh squeezed juice, cups of designer coffee, glasses of wine, mixed drinks, cocktails and bottles of water you'd actually drink as to whether or not it's worth it. The wine list in the MDR was quite impressive, IMHO, but then I don't really know much about wine.

Is there a large by-the-glass list in the MDR or Luminae? How does the drink package line up with wine options?

I don't know about "large". There are a lot of options within the packages.

Our (1) experience in Luminae was that everything offered was within the premium package. There were a couple of dessert wines that would have exceeded $13. Everything else was simply poured with no card checking. We took the sommelier's recommendation based on main course. There were some that were mediocre, or not to my preference (very fruity Pinot Noir, for instance), but all were drinkable.

I paid $30 for a bottle of Beringer white zinfandel that I know I could buy for $15 in a liquor store (or less) BUT, I'm also paying for the service and for not having to store my wine, keep it chilled in a tiny fridge where it won't fit standing up, drink it alone in my stateroom and have it survive the plane ride intact.....and don't forget to bring your own corkscrew! We don't buy the beverage package because we don't drink enough to break even. It all depends on how many glasses of fresh squeezed juice, cups of designer coffee, glasses of wine, mixed drinks, cocktails and bottles of water you'd actually drink as to whether or not it's worth it. The wine list in the MDR was quite impressive, IMHO, but then I don't really know much about wine.

The store I shop charges $3.97 for a bottle of :DBeringer - but more important why would you even buy it?:D

The store I shop charges $3.97 for a bottle of :DBeringer - but more important why would you even buy it?:D

It's the only wine I like....I know nothing about wine and I put ice cubes in red wine, so $4 for a bottle of wine sounds good to me, :Dalthough when I saw the one that I had on board X it was closer to $15.

Can anyone give me an idea of wine prices in dining room please?

Here's one data point from our cruise in Jan 2018 aboard Solstice:

750 ml bottle of 2014 Conundrum Red was priced at $45 in the MDR. This doesn't include the 15% gratuity that's automatically applied. The $45 also doesn't include the 20% Capt Club coupon that was later applied.

The same bottle currently sells for $22.99 at Total Wine in Ft Lauderdale (pickup at the store). This doesn't include the 6% state sales tax.

A 100% markup is not unreasonable by restaurant standards. For example, the 2014 Conundrum Red bottle lists for $52 at the Boon Fly Cafe in northern California.

ee00cbfd5a6c96474c7940867fa22842.jpg

Edited by mahdnc

It's the only wine I like....I know nothing about wine and I put ice cubes in red wine, so $4 for a bottle of wine sounds good to me, :Dalthough when I saw the one that I had on board X it was closer to $15.

The Beringer White Zinfandel has the highest markup of any wine onboard.

$8 per glass (including gratuity).

$4 per bottle onshore.

Can buy two bottles onshore for the price of one glass onboard !!!

Absurd !!!

What is the best and cheapest way to use an unlocked iphone to ring from Italy to Australia? I have read that Vodaphone offer $5 a day deals for talk and text or is it better to take out my Optus sim card and purchase one for Europe when i arrive? I only need to makecand acess texts from home and make an occasional call.

Wups.

Edited by K12Guy

750 ml bottle of 2014 Conundrum Red was priced at $45 in the MDR. This doesn't include the 15% gratuity that's automatically applied. The $45 also doesn't include the 20% Capt Club coupon that was later applied....

Interesting variation in pricing on the same ship. We were on Solstice in Australia & NZ last month (March 2018) and we noted that the gratuity was indeed included. The price on the menu is what we paid. We paid attention to this because we saw that one of our frequently-ordered wines from previous cruises was quite a bit more expensive on the Solstice. The included gratuity accounted for much, not all, of the price increase.

Also, the Captain's Club discount was not necessarily automatically applied - sometimes it was, and sometimes I had to instruct the wine steward in this matter.

750 ml bottle of 2014 Conundrum Red was priced at $45 in the MDR. This doesn't include the 15% gratuity that's automatically applied. The $45 also doesn't include the 20% Capt Club coupon that was later applied....

Interesting variation in pricing on the same ship. We were on Solstice in Australia & NZ last month (March 2018) and we noted that the gratuity was indeed included. The price on the menu is what we paid. We paid attention to this because we saw that one of our frequently-ordered wines from previous cruises was quite a bit more expensive on the Solstice. The included gratuity accounted for much, not all, of the price increase.

Also, the Captain's Club discount was not necessarily automatically applied - sometimes it was, and sometimes I had to instruct the wine steward in this matter.

I am guessing, repeat, guessing, that this bundled pricing in Australia & NZ was designed to appeal to the local market, which is accustomed to paying the price they see on the menu. Seems similar to what we see on cruises departing Southampton.