[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:42 AM.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,615 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by moki'smommy
Yes, you can get 2 lattes from one card, and the card will be punched twice. You can get one brewed coffee and one latte and the card will be punched once. AND there are 2 sizes of lattes. They are the same "one punch" cost, so may as well go for the bigger one!

Pam said it best--the brewed coffee or tea is for one person; hypothetically the person buying the card. You can give someone else a latte from your card, but you can't get two "free" fresh brews at the same time as they would not both be for you. And the free fresh brews are supposedly only while you have punches remaining on your card. Once that last punch is used, the card is dead.
The card is dead for unlimited brewed coffee only after the end of the cruise even if there are no remaining punches during the cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
League City, TX
41,595 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by roxievegas
since I will have some OBC - what staff can I purchase the cards from once on board ?? - any staff member? or at the coffee station ?
a) any bar
b) at special tables on embarkation day
c) from waiters hawking the card in the buffet on embarkation day
Sydney, Australia
1,370 Posts
Joined May 2007
I was consideri g the coffee card and the guy said just get one and share it. We sometimes both had latte and other times just both had tea or hot chocolate (no punch). No problem.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I decided to change my avatar so googled "cruise avatar" and my new avatar is what came up. Tom cruise in Avatar. haha!

2017- Sept - Carnival Legend- Hawaii to Sydney
2017-Aug- P&O Arcadia- Ireland
2017-July-NCL Jade- Norway
2017-May-HAL Maasdam-Canada/New England
2017-April- HAL Maasdam- Panama Canal
2016- Dec- Thomson Dream- Cuban Fusion
2016- November- Thomson Dream- Caribbean Horizons
2016- October - Celebrity Reflection- Mediterranean
2016- September- HAL Eurodam- Mediterranean
2016- April - Norwegian Epic - Italy, France
2016- March- HAL Rotterdam - Sing-Sthampton
2016 - Feb, Pacific Jewel - Vanuatu Explorer
2015 - Sept, Carnival Splendor- New England
2015 - Sept, Carnival Glory B2B East/West Caribbean
2014- July. HAL Noordam- Adriatic
2014- June. Azamara Journey- Baltics
2014- April Diamond Princess- Japan/Taiwan
2013-Dec Sun Princess- Pacific Islands
2013-May MSC Magnifica (not impressed)
2013 April- Norwegian Jade- Holy Land
2011 April- Uniworld River Beatrice- Enchanting Danube.
2008 Dec/2009 Jan -Rhapsody of the Seas-New Zealand
2007- Oct -Pacific Sun-Vanuatu, Noumea
2007- July -Pacific Sun-Vanuatu, Isle of Pines
2007- May -Diamond Princess-Alaska
2003- April -Superstar Leo- Suva, Noumea
Las Vegas, Nv
155 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by roxievegas
our first princess cruise is coming up and considering getting one coffee card. confused with the wording of "unlimited brewed coffee". My husband likes brewed and I like latte's. If he goes to get me a latte, can he get himself a brewed coffee at the same time, and is he just charged (or one punch) for the latte.

we are on a 28 day cruise, and would prefer not to have daily charges for one or two coffees a day on our acct - we are not getting a drink package.

if hubby goes to get a coffee for himself, gets a brewed, do they punch the card ?

thank you for any explaination

After reading all these posts i decided to get a coffee card!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

Holland America
Royal Caribbean
Carnival
NCL
Chicagoland, Illinois
24 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Fast question....I see you can purchase the coffee card prior to the cruise...and also the water package.,can you use your onboard free credits to pay for it, or do you have to "pay" for it, without your on board credit.......is the price different on the cruise? or the same?
13,140 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by debi1941
Fast question....I see you can purchase the coffee card prior to the cruise...and also the water package.,can you use your onboard free credits to pay for it, or do you have to "pay" for it, without your on board credit.......is the price different on the cruise? or the same?
My understanding and experience--the water package is not offered on board. If you want it, you need to purchase it in advance. Coffee cards are the same price whether purchased on board or in advance. If you buy it in advance, you pay with your credit card. If you buy it on the ship, you will make a crew member very happy (they get credit for selling it to you) and you can pay for it with your OBC.
Las Vegas, Nv
155 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by debi1941

Water package is only available prior to cruise but coffee card can be purchased on board and most likely you can use your onboard credits.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

Holland America
Royal Caribbean
Carnival
NCL
Perth, Western Australia
330 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
Originally posted by tailspintom
Hello Roxie,

May I suggest this? Just get two coffee cards. It amounts to a buck and a quarter a day on a 28 day cruise. You both can have a latte every other day and all of the fresh brewed, really good teas and hot chocolates that you want. It truly is a good deal for for those that enjoy a better cup of coffee, tea hot chocolate and the occasional specialty coffee. I was able to gift several cruisers with coffee that would otherwise go on their charge with the extra punches on my older card. I got the idea from someone else on the board. Getting the two cards really removes the guess work out of the equation.
As an Aussie, I always have a smile at the term "specialty coffee". To us, Cappuccino's, Latte's, Flat White's, etc are just normal coffee. That's all you will find in any cafe or restaurant here. When doing a tour of Canada and the US a few months ago, the Aussies in the group were always harrassing the poor tour guide as to where we could get "proper" coffee. In the end she was telling us before we had to ask! Then I had to giggle when in New York, I was walking down 8th Avenue and came across a cafe with a sign in the window "Yes we do have proper coffee". What really amazed me though was that when I could actually find a Flat White, it usually cost more than the Latte! Not sure how that works!

I found the coffee (both that stuff in the buffet and the brewed variety) on Diamond Princess to be undrinkable, and it would have been a coffee-free cruise for me if not for the Coffee Card. HAL and Celebrity I find to be a little better. At least it's drinkable, but to call it coffee is criminal!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2005: HAL Volendam,Alaska
2008: Explorer II, Antarctica
2010: Scenic Ruby, Budapest to Amsterdam River Cruise
2012: HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, Mediterranean Tapestry
2015: HAL Ryndam, Northern Isles & Midnight Sun
Last Minute Cancellation!
2015: Diamond Princess, Southern Australia & New Zealand.
2016: HAL Rotterdam, North Cape & Norse Legends
2016: HAL Rotterdam, Vikings, Fjords & Highlands

2017: Celebrity Summit, Canada & New England
Seattle
12 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Is the brewed coffee at the espresso stand far superior to what is offered at the buffet? I love dark roast coffee in the morning.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pamela
Chelsea MA
5,177 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by Navywife26
Do they do a punch for iced coffee or is that considered regular coffee?
I only drink ice coffee and never received a punch for it...
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
So CAL
3,522 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Lucky TGO
I only drink ice coffee and never received a punch for it...
Tony
I was "lessoned" on the difference between ice coffee and ice coffee.

One is brewed coffee over ice (no punches)...that is...if you are on the current voyage and have unlimited free brewed coffee.

The other one is expresso coffee with ice (one punch).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Displaced Local Girl

Norwegian Cruise Caribbean 1990
Carnival Jubilee Mexican Riviera 1995
Carnival Celebration Western Caribbean 1998
Sun Princess Alaska 1999
Sun Princess Panama Canal 2001
Regal Princess Baltic 2003
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaiian Islands 2006
Celebrity Infinity Alaska 2010
Carnival Paradise Ensenada: November 2011
Coral Princess Panama Canal: February 14, 2012
Golden Princess: May 20, 2012
Holland America Zaandam October 23, 2012
Golden Princess Hawaiian Islands: February 13, 2013
Sapphire Princess Pacific Coastal: April 13, 2013
Star Princess: 1 day (September 21, 2013)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (September 23, 2013)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (October 21, 2013)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (November 1, 2013/How could I not?)
Golden Princess: 3 Day (November 4, 2013/How could I not, again?)
Star Princess Hawaiian Islands (November 20, 2013)
Sapphire Princess (January, 2014)
Coral Princess (Alaska B2B2B 2014)
Golden Princess: October, 2014
Grand Princess Mexico: November, 2014
Golden Princess: November, 2014
Grand Princess Hawaiian Islands: February, 2015
Crown Princess California Coastal: October, 2015
Crown Princess California Coastal: January, 2016
Chelsea MA
5,177 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by cr8tiv1
I was "lessoned" on the difference between ice coffee and ice coffee.

One is brewed coffee over ice (no punches)...that is...if you are on the current voyage and have unlimited free brewed coffee.

The other one is expresso coffee with ice (one punch).
Thanks for the info. I never had espresso coffee with ice. On my next cruise I will give it a try thanks.
I have coffee cards to use up. Everyone is saying Princess is going to make the old cards expire .
Tony
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New Cumberland,PA, USA
29,981 Posts
Joined May 2000
Lets clarify something. There is free coffee/tea available in the lido buffet area (24 hours a day) which is completely free. The coffee card is only for use at the International Cafe and Amuleto Cafe. When you purchase a coffee card it will be marked (on the back) with your ship and voyage number/date. You can use that card for unlimited coffee and tea at those two venues. Unlike the Lido and Main Dining Rooms where coffee is brewed in very large machines, the cafes brew small batches of coffee...so theoretically it is higher quality. The cards also have 15 punch areas which are used for specialty coffee/teas purchased at only the International Cafe (or Amuleto Cafe on ships that have that venue).

What is confusing some new folks is likely all the discussion about end dates. Up until recently, Princess had a policy that a coffee card could only be used for unlimited coffee and tea...on the same voyage where you obtained the card. But if you did not use all the punches, you could simply keep the card and use the punches on future cruises. But now, there are some reports that Princess is putting a time limit (perhaps a year) on how long those punches remain valid. The problem is that most folks actually pay for the cards...so what Princess is doing is essentially end-dating money (similar to the controversy on end dating gift cards).

And to clarify (for new cruisers)...Princess does have various levels in their Captain's Circle (this is a club for those who have cruised on Princess). Once a cruiser reaches the Elite Level, they are entitled to one free stocking (per cruise_ of their cabin mini-bar...which has some beer, soft drinks, and hard booze. Elite folks can opt to trade-in their mini-bar items for either 2 coffee cards....or perhaps a bottle of wine.

Hank
679 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
I added the coffee card to my onboard reservations under name but my husband will be the one drinking the coffee. Will he able to use the card?
13,140 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by Flo71
I added the coffee card to my onboard reservations under name but my husband will be the one drinking the coffee. Will he able to use the card?
yes. There is no name on the card. He will be able to get the free coffee or tea, one cup at a time. And he will be able to get as many lattes at a time as he wishes (charged at a punch for each)
Trabuco Canyon, Caliornia
337 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
thank you to everyone who responded to my questions.
We are going to wait until we are on board and use our OBC to purchase one card. We will gone 28 days, so we may need to purchase a second card, but I will respond back after our trip.
side note: I was planning to purchase water bottles, but it disappeared from the website, after a day or two it came back on, so I purchased 3 cases - I am bringing powdered lemonade to mix in my own water container. We do not have a drink package. We are also planning to bring one 36 can case of soda with us when we board..
I will report back at the end of the trip whether all of this effort was worth it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2011 - Equinox 10 night Italy & Greek Isles - Veranda
2013 - Equinox 11 night Ultimate Caribbean - Veranda
2014 - Infinity 10 night Southern Caribbean - Ocean
2016 - Silhouette 13 night Transatlantic - Aqua
2016 - Silhouette 9 night Shakespeare Norway - Suite
2016 - Silhouette 12 night Scandinavia & Russia - Veranda
2017 - Solstice 7 night Alaska Tracy Arm Fjord - Veranda
2018 - Emerald Princess 28 night Hawaii/Tahiti - Veranda

2018 - Celebrity 10 night Vancouver to Hawaii - Veranda
2019 - Princess 7 day cruise 5 day Alaska tour
Missouri
45 Posts
Joined May 2017
I would like to thank everyone for their responses too. I didn't know there were two types of ice coffee either.

roxievegas......have fun on your trip. I'm assuming you are doing the one this month. I'm doing the 28 day in October. My sister just did the same cruise this past October and had a ball.

Tammy
New Cumberland,PA, USA
29,981 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Flo71
We will take it one step further. Most of the time we have used a single coffee card to get both coffee and tea (at the same time) at the International Cafe. On one cruise (a few years ago) the staff at the IC told us we had to use two cards for coffee and tea (at the same time). So DW (who is a tea drinker) simply grabbed a big handful of tea bags from the Lido and carried some with her all the time. At the IC I would get my coffee and she would just ask for a cup of Hot Water . Although the IC uses a "better name" tea bag....DW claims it tastes no better then the tea available in the Lido. But I do think that the IC coffee is a lot better then the hot dishwater called coffee in the Lido.

Hank
13,140 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by Hlitner
We will take it one step further. Most of the time we have used a single coffee card to get both coffee and tea (at the same time) at the International Cafe. On one cruise (a few years ago) the staff at the IC told us we had to use two cards for coffee and tea (at the same time). So DW (who is a tea drinker) simply grabbed a big handful of tea bags from the Lido and carried some with her all the time. At the IC I would get my coffee and she would just ask for a cup of Hot Water . Although the IC uses a "better name" tea bag....DW claims it tastes no better then the tea available in the Lido. But I do think that the IC coffee is a lot better then the hot dishwater called coffee in the Lido.

Hank
Easy to do...and I'm a heavy duty tea drinker. The tea available in the buffet beverage stations is good tea. They have Lipton plain tea, but also a decent variety of nice teas. And hot water is always available in the IC at no charge.
679 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by moki'smommy
yes. There is no name on the card. He will be able to get the free coffee or tea, one cup at a time. And he will be able to get as many lattes at a time as he wishes (charged at a punch for each)
Thank you