Cruise insurance

travelgirl45

We are going on the British Isles cruise in May on the crown. Looking to purchase travel insurance. Has anyone purchased Princess Travel Insurance and had to use it. Was it worth it?? Princess insurance is cheaper than others that I have looked at, but not really clear that you would get paid for your prepaid expenses, etc. and not just get a shipboard credit. Am not interested in getting a credit. What companies have you cruisers used and had good luck, if you had to use it.

Thanks for the info

There's plenty of threads regarding Princess Insurance. Here's a link to some good info on Princess Insurance. We never buy Princess insurance - it's like their own self interest to protect not yours. You can also go to Insuremytrip.com to look at various policies. We always use Travel Guard. We always get insurance the same day we book.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2567750&highlight=Princess+Insurance

We are going on the British Isles cruise in May on the crown. Looking to purchase travel insurance. Has anyone purchased Princess Travel Insurance and had to use it. Was it worth it?? Princess insurance is cheaper than others that I have looked at, but not really clear that you would get paid for your prepaid expenses, etc. and not just get a shipboard credit. Am not interested in getting a credit. What companies have you cruisers used and had good luck, if you had to use it.

Thanks for the info

In addition to Princess Insurance, you also need medical evacuation insurance

don't leave home without it.

Howard

Travel insurance has multiple elements to it:

• Cancellation for a "covered" reason
  • Cancellation for any reason
  • Trip delay/missing embarkation/lost luggage/any other unforseen changes to pre or post cruise travel
  • Medical expenses while abroad
  • Medical evacuation/transport back to the USA

If you anticipate the possibility of cancelling at the last minute for other than what Princess deems a "covered" reason:

1. sickness, injury or death to yourself, a traveling companion, or members of either of your immediatefamilies which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;

2. involvement in a traffic accident en route to departure that causes you to miss your cruise;

3. your home is made uninhabitable by a natural disaster such as flood, earthquake, hurricane, volcano,tornado, wildfires or blizzard;

4. being called to serve jury duty or subpoena;

5. you are called into active military service to provide aid or relief in response to a national disaster.

...then you must shop elsewhere for coverage that will result in a cash refund rather than a future cruise credit.

As for the prepaid expenses (I assume you ask about prepaying for the PBP or shore excursions or other cabin amenities) they can be cancelled and refunded up to the time your cruise personalizer closes 3 to 5 days before sailing. Offically if you do not cancel the PBP or Soda and More before the deadline the money is lost; again if you anticipate a possible last minute non-covered-reason no-show you need to find outside insurance that reimburses cash for both the cancellation penalty and any other payments made to Princess that they decline to refund.

There's plenty of threads regarding Princess Insurance. Here's a link to some good info on Princess Insurance. We never buy Princess insurance - it's like their own self interest to protect not yours. You can also go to Insuremytrip.com to look at various policies. We always use Travel Guard. We always get insurance the same day we book.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2567750&highlight=Princess+Insurance

I agree with getting 3rd party even if it is a little more expensive and sometimes it isn't.. The coverage is door to door whereas Princess only covers what they sell you. Getting 3rd party shortly after depositing, you can get pre-existing coverage whereas with cruise line there is usually a "look back" which will not pay if your reason to cancel or collect on another matter is due to an illness you (or your immediate family member) have had within a couple of months of buying (or paying) for it. Pre-existing covers not only you but immediate family. Third party medi-vac is usually higher, too.

with princess insurance,. twice got ill on ships and the entire cost of medical stuff was covered. Two couples with us on another cruise had the insurance and they ended up with family emergencies and going home was completely covered.

Well worth the cost

One thing you must remember with Princess insurance is that you must file with all other insurances first.

I got an ear infection once on the Royal Princess while in the pool and hot tub. I was seen by the ship doctor and treated. My ears were drained and I received medication which all came to just over $200.00. When I got home I had to submit a claim with Medicare, who declined the claim because they do not insure you on a ship that is not US registered, and with TRICARE for Life, which also does not insure you on a ship that is not US registered. Then I could submit the claim to the Princess Insurance along with a copy of both of the denials from my personal insurances before they would pay the claim, which they did in full.

Princess insurance doesn't cover much financially ($20K) for medical expenses. This is minimal with a real medical emergency. This is why it is cheaper than other insurance. Read the fine print and compare coverages.

It really depends on where you are traveling to, how old you are, do you have a health issue, what med. coverage you presently have, what credit card you use, what you want to be covered for and do you want primary or secondary coverage for medical.

I really research my insurance, sometimes I choose just to let my credit card be my coverage, but I have good medical that will cover outside the US.

Recently, when wanting to be covered for "canceled for any reason"....I have gone with Princess...have not had to use it yet. Knowing they are secondary, I know credit card/ my medical insurance will get billed first.

One thing you must remember with Princess insurance is that you must file with all other insurances first.

I got an ear infection once on the Royal Princess while in the pool and hot tub. I was seen by the ship doctor and treated. My ears were drained and I received medication which all came to just over $200.00. When I got home I had to submit a claim with Medicare, who declined the claim because they do not insure you on a ship that is not US registered, and with TRICARE for Life, which also does not insure you on a ship that is not US registered. Then I could submit the claim to the Princess Insurance along with a copy of both of the denials from my personal insurances before they would pay the claim, which they did in full.

I have had good service several times from Princess Vacation Protection, but I've only had minor medical expenses - not trip cancellation or significant medical.

I have never had to submit to Medicare or Tricare for Life before submitting to Princess Vacation Protection for medical care outside the United States. Medicare does not provide coverage, and the Princess Vacation Protection representatives know this - they have never made me submit a Medicare denial for treatment outside of the United States. Tricare for Life does provide coverage outside the United States, but it is secondary to any other insurance (other than a Tricare supplement) - I have never needed to provide a Tricare for Life denial for treatment outside of the United States. I have always received full payment for medical care on the ship or on shore with no problems and - for treatment outside the United States - without submitting denials from either Medicare or Tricare for Life.

When I was received dental care in Hawaii, I had to submit to my dental insurance first. Princess Vacation Protection paid all copayments and deductibles. When I was treated in the US Virgin Islands, I had to submit to Medicare first.

Not that I'm concerned with Princess' future, but another consideration is bankruptcy of a tour provider.

It actually happened to me. In 2000, three days into a cruise on Premier Cruise's Rembrandt, after dinner, the Captain made an announcement that the cruise line had just declared bankruptcy and we'd be returned to our last port of call, Halifax. Those who had insurance were SOL. I was covered by my third party insurance. (Since that event and another by Renaissance Cruises, provider insolvency is now a clause and often an exclusion - read the policy, if part of your vacation looks like it could be a consideration)

I second the recommendation for insuremytrip.com - I just went there after booking a repo cruise on the Golden Princess. (The best cancel-for-any-reason coverage is if you purchase it within a few days of your initial deposit)

Interesting, because I had multiple doctor visits on a transatlanic back to the states. I was incapacitated for a full seven days and recveived meds also. Both Tricare and Medicare paid the total bill. Someone was wrong on either your bill or my bill. Don't understand it.

Your ear infection sounds like it was a liability issue because it occurred by swimming in the pool. Now thats a whole nother' issue.