Cabin size for family of four on Emerald Princess

Sub-Arctic Dweller

a) Someone posted that an oceanview is larger because what would have been a balcony is instead part of the cabin. This is not true. The inside part of a regular balcony cabin is about the same size as an oceanview.

b) The latch for the door to the balcony on a balcony cabin is about mid-way from the bottom to the top of the door. Yes, it can be difficult to open, but never underestimate the ability of a child to possibly open it. There is an actual key lock, but passengers do not have a key, only the cabin stewards.

(a) I almost replied to that one the other day... you are right, except there are a small number of such cabins on a small number of ships where the cabin is longer and no balcony. Two examples I know of are Island and Coral.

(b) I don't suppose Princess would sell me a balcony at OV price and then lock the door. But it would be nice to have all the glass. :hearteyes:

• 1 month later...
My parents want to do a big family cruise for their 50th Wedding Anniversary with their kids, kids’ spouses, and grandkids. If everyone goes, it will be 14 adults and 13 children. They have picked an expensive 15 day LA to Hawaii and back Christmas cruise in 2018 on the Emerald Princess. It is not my first choice, but I’ve committed to taking my family. I’ve had a lot of friends lose their parents in recent years and I want to make the most of the time I have left. They have given us lots of notice and we have been saving.

My question is with room size and configurations. My immediate family consists of myself, wife, and two daughters who will be 5 years and 18 months at the time of sailing. We don’t co-sleep with our kids. Can we all fit in a standard or ocean view room? Ideally, we want a double bed, single bed, and crib. My parents seem to think there’s way more room in an ocean view and we can fit there, but not from what I can tell on the Princess website. To me, it looks like we almost have to go for a mini-suite to be comfortable. A mini-suite versus ocean view moves the price from $7k USD to $12k USD, plus more gratuities are expected. I’m also worried about the safety of the balconies with the little girls. Is there a way to lock them up high?

I appreciate any advice experienced cruisers could provide. Thanks in advance.

If it's room you want, you will want to book a mini suite. Since you are leaning that way, I would do it. That way you and your wife can sleep together in the "same bed", your 5 year old in the sofa that converts to a bed and a pak n play for the toddler.

We travel with our family of 4 in one cabin all the time. It's very crowded in an inside room, slightly more space in a Oceanview because you have that ledge to put things on. However in both those configurations you and your spouse will sleep in your own twin bed, 5 year old in a bunk that either pops out of the ceiling or folds towards the wall when not in use and sticks out a bit, and infant in a pack n play. The balcony room, which feels similar in size to an OV or inside cabin has the benefit of the ocean breeze, but you are back to twin beds for adults. The mini suite will provide a little extra space, which is fabulous when traveling with small children.

If cost is the ultimate factor, then you will survive in an inside cabin, but you will want to spend minimal time in there. We do it every year. We have splurged on a couple of cruises with a mini suite and we love it!! However, if we can cruise more often in an inside, we will.

Rule of thumb, almost all standard cabins are the same size. Increase comes with mini and full suites.

HOWEVER if you go for balcony, book soon to snag Caribe deck cabin. 33% larger than standard. IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE

• 2 weeks later...
Did you decide? I'm sure I wouldn't pay the extra $5K for a few extra feet of space in the cabin where oyu spend VERY lttle time

A lot of my family is bailing on going. So nothing has been booked yet. We are now looking at the same cruise, but leaving on Feb 2, 2019 instead. There is conflicting info on how long the three for free deal is good for. The website says Nov 16, but a flier my parents received in the mail says Nov 30. Anyone know what is up with that?

If we do go ahead, we will be getting a mini suit. With young kids we will be spending a lot of time in the room.

My parents want to do a big family cruise for their 50th Wedding Anniversary with their kids, kids’ spouses, and grandkids. If everyone goes, it will be 14 adults and 13 children. They have picked an expensive 15 day LA to Hawaii and back Christmas cruise in 2018 on the Emerald Princess. It is not my first choice, but I’ve committed to taking my family. I’ve had a lot of friends lose their parents in recent years and I want to make the most of the time I have left. They have given us lots of notice and we have been saving.

My question is with room size and configurations. My immediate family consists of myself, wife, and two daughters who will be 5 years and 18 months at the time of sailing. We don’t co-sleep with our kids. Can we all fit in a standard or ocean view room? Ideally, we want a double bed, single bed, and crib. My parents seem to think there’s way more room in an ocean view and we can fit there, but not from what I can tell on the Princess website. To me, it looks like we almost have to go for a mini-suite to be comfortable. A mini-suite versus ocean view moves the price from $7k USD to $12k USD, plus more gratuities are expected. I’m also worried about the safety of the balconies with the little girls. Is there a way to lock them up high?

I appreciate any advice experienced cruisers could provide. Thanks in advance.

Please check out my page for some tips regarding the pack and play and travelling with little kids (we've done it 3 or 4 times). A minisuite is definitely worth it just so you can use your cabin when the little one is napping. If not, know that balconies are roughly the same size as oceanview cabins. The main advantage of the balcony is that if you are next to relatives, you can use the balconies to go between rooms.

Link to tips for cruising with kids:

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/home/cruising-with-little-kids

Edited by runnerodb83
forgot to include link

The 3 for Free promo is only good through November 16th. It would be a great deal for your family, especially with the free gratuities for all four of you (sometimes it only applies to two per cabin) and also if you do end up with a 15 day cruise that would be $150 onboard credit for all four of you as well, so $600 total. Not all Princess promos give onboard credit to all passengers in a cabin (vs. only to two per cabin). And the deposit is only $100 per person, whereas it can be ten percent of your cruise total. This promo deposit is refundable as well if your plans change.

A mini-suite does sound like best option for your family, especially on such a long cruise. On the Emerald, that would be on the Dolphin deck. I would avoid the mini-suites at the back of Emerald deck because they are right above the nightclub.

• 5 months later...
I finally just booked it! A lot of family members dropped out, but whatever, I'm going. I've got a mini-suite on Emerald Princess for the Jan 18, 2019 sailing to Hawaii from LA. It should be a good time.

Hopefully you got in a whole bunch of referrals before you did the booking!

Don't forget to keep checking for price drops; our SA cruise went down $500 pp after booking at what was already a good price. Do figure in whether you lose perks or OBC if you take the price drop. In our case, we didn't.

I use a shower curtain and magnetic hooks. Works for a dressing area near the bathroom and a room divider in a mini.

BTW....The Emerald Princess does not have Window Suites.

In the spirit of getting the most use from your space, here is my redneck mini-suite. Strong magnetic hooks from a hardware store and a movie blanket or towel (or two) - and the sleepers can sleep while the others do not.

suite-maker2.jpg

depending on your children-- you may want to consider this-- it worked great for us when on cruises to save cabin spaced the bed folded up or could just be moved out of the way during the day.

its a toddler cot.

On the island princess ocenview room forward cabin- this room was huge and we just left two of them made up all day long and the stewards would fold their bedding and gave them towel animals too one on each cot :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Regalo-My-Cot-Pink-Portable-Toddler-Bed/42340845?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1172&adid=22222222227030173287&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=59790681311&wl4=pla-86951610057&wl5=1013650&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8453398&wl11=online&wl12=42340845&wl13=&veh=sem

• 2 weeks later...
depending on your children-- you may want to consider this-- it worked great for us when on cruises to save cabin spaced the bed folded up or could just be moved out of the way during the day.

its a toddler cot.

On the island princess ocenview room forward cabin- this room was huge and we just left two of them made up all day long and the stewards would fold their bedding and gave them towel animals too one on each cot :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Regalo-My-Cot-Pink-Portable-Toddler-Bed/42340845?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1172&adid=22222222227030173287&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=59790681311&wl4=pla-86951610057&wl5=1013650&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8453398&wl11=online&wl12=42340845&wl13=&veh=sem

Thanks for the tip. The link doesn't work for me, but I think I know what you are talking about.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

Don't forget to keep checking for price drops; our SA cruise went down $500 pp after booking at what was already a good price. Do figure in whether you lose perks or OBC if you take the price drop. In our case, we didn't.

So when that happens, do you forfeit your deposit if you want to rebook or can you just transfer it over to the new rate?

So when that happens, do you forfeit your deposit if you want to rebook or can you just transfer it over to the new rate?

You are not rebooking if you are staying in the same cabin, you are re-faring.

No, I don't think so. We didn't, but then in this case we had the $1 deposit they were offering last year, so even if we had it would have only been a loss of $2. This is where a good travel agent will handle all of this. We did not have to cancel the cruise and rebook, it was more of a refare.

I would never book a cruise with a non-refundable deposit except possibly at the very last minute. You never know what will come up; we have had to cancel several cruises/vacations because of health problems of parents.

It is possible to loss some of the perks like OBC, etc., when rebooking or refaring; it depends on the rules of the sale. In our case, we didn't.