Meals at Planks & Steamers on the Caribbean Princess?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:04 PM.
NJ
410 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by Thrak
We won't know until next March but will likely try them both - at least for breakfast and lunch.
We are on the March cruise as well and are really looking forward to trying these venues for breakfast and lunch. We may have some OBC to use up so dinner at one might also be an option.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~~~~~~Cruise History~~~~~~

Carnival Pride September 2013. Bahamas
Carnival Sunshine August 2014. Western Caribbean
NCL Gem October 2014. Eastern Caribean 10 Days in a SUITE!!!
Ruby Princess March 2016 Mexican Riviera
Royal Princess Nov 6, 2016 Southern Caribbean Medley
Royal Princess March 30, 2018 Eastern Caribbean
San Francisco
877 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Two cruises since April on the Caribbean Princess. Had dinner on both cruises at Planks. First time was during the TA and we were among the only folks in there. One of the servers, Magdalena, has been on many cruises that we have taken and she led us through the menu. That experience-Much more food than we could possibly eat and with the lack of other patrons, we felt like the serving folks were hovering. Kind of an unpleasant experience but food was good; just needed two more folks to eat what we could not. Second cruise a little over a month ago and place was more popular. We had daughter, son-in law and two granddaughters. Granddaughters could not find much they liked other than potatoes but again there was more food than we could eat.
Both locations are open during lunch and breakfast but just a little extra food that would have been in the Horizon court on other ships. More of extra (or what used to be) seating for early meals.No charge at lunch or breakfast.
IMO-ships are now charging for food that used to be standard (I started cruising in 1954 at a VERY YOUNG age). Before somebody tells me---Yes I know the price of cruises has stayed way below what the cost of living raise has been and I could probably get the meals I remember if I were to go Crystal or Silversea. To be honest, I am at an age where I can't even eat what I am being offered today.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Matson Lurline 1955 (to Hawaii), Matson Lurline 1955 (Return to Mainland), Matson Luline 1964,P&O Arcadia 1964, P&O Orsova 1965, P&O Oriana 1965, P&O Canberra 1967, P&O Arcadia 1967-68, P&O Iberia 1968, P&O Orcades 1968, P&O Chusan 1968, P&O Orsova 1969, P&O Iberia 1971, P&O Fair Princess 1971, P&O Arcadia 1972
OOCL Universe Campus 1974, P&O Arcadia 1977, Pacific Princess 1979, Fair Princess 1979, P&O Oriana 1981, P&O Canberra 1981, Sea Princess 1981, P&O Oriana 1986, Premier Cruise (Big Red Boat) 1987, P&O Fair Star 1994, Star Princess 1995, Sun Princess 1995, P&O Aurora 2002 B2B 1, P&O Aurora 2002 B2B 2, P&O Oriana 2004, Sapphire Princess 2005, P&O Aurora 2006, Golden Princess 2006, Golden Princess 2007, Norwegian Star 2007, Regal Princess 2007, Grand Princess 2007, Dawn Princess 2008, Dawn Princess again 2008, Coral Princess 2008, Grand Princess 2009 B2B, Island Princess 2009, Star Princess 2009, Coral Princess 2009, Sapphire Princess 2009, Diamond Princess B2B 2010, Sea Princess 2010, Golden Princess 2011
MA
6 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Originally posted by fishywood
The online descriptions of those venues appear to have been recently updated:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-e...bean-princess/ (click 'Specialty Dining')

STEAMERS: Our new family-style seafood restaurant offers dinner served by wait staff for a nominal fee. Choose from Black & Blue Mussels or Classic Clams “Steamers” or the Broiled Platter which includes scallops, shrimp and crab-stuffed flounder. All come with generous sides and dipping sauces as well as starters and dessert. At lunchtime, help yourself to a buffet that includes Gourmet and Ramen Bowls with regionally inspired broths—all at no charge. And join us for breakfast, also at no charge, for specialty egg dishes like omelets, fried eggs and eggs Benedict.

PLANKS: Drop by for a classic American-style dinner, served by wait staff for a nominal fee. Our casual BBQ restaurant gives you a choice of "Planks" loaded with four meats, chili, coleslaw and seasoned fries along with starters and decadent dessert. Planks BBQ also serves a buffet-style lunch at no charge, with signature soup and freshly tossed salad, as well as regionally inspired fork-and-knife sandwiches. Buffet-style breakfasts, also at no charge, include savory breakfast bowls customized for you.

But the latest revision of the Dining Options doc:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/food-and-dining/dining-options.pdf

...while repeating that Breakfast and Lunch are no charge. lists only the opening hours for Lunch and Dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
South Carolina
28,493 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Originally posted by fishywood
.................................................. ..
But the latest revision of the Dining Options doc:
https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/food-and-dining/dining-options.pdf
...while repeating that Breakfast and Lunch are no charge. lists only the opening hours for Lunch and Dinner.
I'd love to know how late Steamer's is open for Breakfast.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,732 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by OCruisers
I'd love to know how late Steamer's is open for Breakfast.
Based on their dining venue information, Planks & Steamers for breakfast shows N/A...not applicable. It shows the World Fresh Marketplace is open for the breakfast buffet from 0600-1130. On ships with Cafe Caribe breakfast hours are 0600-1000 and that's the same area used to create the Steamers/Planks on the Caribbean.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/p...ng-options.pdf

Hopefully someone has recent experiences they could share but based on the Princess dining venue information Steamers/Planks is not open for breakfast.
Palmdale, Ca
33,616 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Shelly97060
We have eaten at Planks. We were on board shortly after the dry dock where they added it.

The restaraunt was not busy when we dined ( us and one other table) and the waitress explained that planks and steamers shared the same kitchen so she actually brought us both menus to look at and said if one or both of us preferred the steamers menu ( which is like the Crab Shack menu) we could order from that ( we chose to both dine from the Planks menu).

The meal started with some BBQ meatballs ( we didn't care for them) and corn bread that you could make a small slider out of. Then there was soup or salad and each person then selected three meats from the menu. We had brisket, chicken and sausage and there was baked beans and coleslaw as well. The meats are served on a large plank and there is a lot of meat!

We thought the meal was ok. The chicken was moist and tender. The brisket was a bit dry. Overall if we were only doing one specialty dinner in the future we would probably put our money toward a different option.

For breakfast and lunch- the area is like an extension of the buffet similar to Caribe Cafe. The best thing about breakfast there is the omelet bar. They take your omelet order, give you a number and once you are seated you give the number to the server and you get your hot delicious made to order omelet. I recommend trying the omelets.

Hope this is helpful... As always your experience may differ.
Looking forward to my next cruise on the CB where I can enjoy both venues.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future: Star Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 11/18
Future: Emerald Princess Alaska R/T From from Los Angeles 04/18
Pacific Princess Panama Canal Cruise 05/17 - 17 Days
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/15 - 16 Days
Golden Princess West Coast Getaway 04/15 - 3 Days
Royal Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/13 - 18 Days Inaugural T/A Crossing
Sapphire Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 03/13 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/11 - 18 Days
Golden Princess Hawaii R/T From LA 02/11 - 14 Days
Ruby Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/09 - 18 Days
Diamond Princess AUS/NZ 01/09 - 12 Days
Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08 - 18 Days
Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Alaska Repo 05/05 - 14 Days
Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02 - 14 Days
RCCL Rhapsody OTS Alaska 09/01 - 7 Days
RCCL Splendour OTS Baltic/Northern Europe 09/99 - 12 Days
HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96 - 7 Days
Carnival Holiday Western Caribbean 07/93 - 7 Days

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

My Cruise Pictures on Flickr

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
Texas
1,591 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
We ate at Planks for both lunch and dinner on our July cruise. The signature soup was Baked Potato Soup and it was great. Very limited options for lunch and nothing we cared for. Most of it was Asian dishes. Usually we filled our lunch plates at the main buffet then found a table in Planks where we got a cup of the potato soup.
We are from a big bbq area in central Texas so we appreciate good bbq. The bbq for dinner at Planks was surprisingly good and we got our choice of 4 meats from the menu of ribs, brisket, sausage, chicken, and meatballs. The only meat choice we didn't care for was the sausage and that is because we are used to spicy sausage and Princess wouldn't know a spicy sausage if one hit them in the face. We ate dinner at Planks twice on the cruise and will do so again next time we are on the Caribbean Princess. We hope Princess will remodel more of the ships with the old style Horizon court/Caribe Cafe set up into what they have done to the Caribbean Princess.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
USS Greenling SSN614
Atlantic Ocean/Barents Sea
Palmdale, Ca
33,616 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Astro Flyer
Bob...the $8 Ernesto burger & beer at the Salty Dog Grill also looks interesting to me.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/p...Grill-Menu.pdf
That does sound tasty.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Caribbean Princess Iceland/Norway T/A 09/16 - 17 Days **First Princess Elite Cruise**

240 Days At Sea: 167 Days Princess , 42 Days Celebrity. 19 Days RCCL, 7 Days HAL, 7 Days Carnival.....

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
Chico, California
9,479 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
The pictures make it look impossible to eat. Not all that big around and piled waaaaaaaaaaay tall. I think I read that somewhere here on CC as well. The poster wasn't impressed.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Thrak

Not Elite but having fun working on it...

18,732 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by Thrak
The pictures make it look impossible to eat. Not all that big around and piled waaaaaaaaaaay tall. I think I read that somewhere here on CC as well. The poster wasn't impressed.

Although I rarely see a burger (or many other food items) in any advertisement that accurately depicts what is actually served.

Since the beer list shows $6 for a beer, I'd try the burger for an additional $2.
Palmdale, Ca
33,616 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Although I rarely see a burger (or many other food items) in any advertisement that accurately depicts what is actually served.

Since the beer list shows $6 for a beer, I'd try the burger for an additional $2.
That definitely looks like something worth trying.....

Bob
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Roll Call Thread

Roll Call Thread
18,334 Posts
Joined Aug 2013

I'll try that.
Port St. Lucie, FL
2,743 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
Originally posted by nukesubsailor
We hope Princess will remodel more of the ships with the old style Horizon court/Caribe Cafe set up into what they have done to the Caribbean Princess.
I wouldn't be surprised if they do this on the other ships if it pans out on this ship. I would rather they rip out that area altogether and model it after the Royal Class ships.....but that won't or can't happen.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
31 Princess Cruises
Royal & Regal Princess Photo Contest Winner
View Our Baltic Voyage Portfolio https://gsnider2.myportfolio.com/

Regal Princess 3/92 and 2/94
Crown Princess 2/97 and 3/99
Norwegian Dream 3/00
Grand Princess 3/01
Coral Princess Panama 3/03
Sun Princess 2/04 and 2/05
Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean 6/05
Golden Princess - Greek Isles 5/06
Island Princess - Hawaii 4/07
Caribbean Princess - E. Caribbean 2/08
Tahitian Princess - Alaska 8/08
Island Princess - Panama 2/09
Caribbean Princess - New England 10/09
Princess Captain's Circle Elite
Emerald Princess - E. Caribbean 2/10
Crown Princess - New Year's Eve 2010
Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean 2/2012
Caribbean Princess - Canada/NewEngland 9/29/2012
Island Princess -Panama Canal 12/30/2012
Norwegian Dawn - Western Caribbean 12/08/2013
Royal Princess - E. Caribbean 4/6/2014
Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean 5/19/2014
Regal Princess - Transatlantic 10/17/2014
Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean 12/13/2014
Royal Princess - E. Caribbean 2/27/2015
Emerald Princess - W. Caribbean 3/22/2015
Royal Princess - S. Caribbean 11/20/2015
Royal Princess - E. Caribbean 2/22/2016
Regal Princess - Scandinavia & Russia 8/30/2016
Regal Princess - Norway Passage/British Isles & TransAtlantic 9/10/2016
Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean 12/30/2016
Royal Princess - S. Caribbean 2/28/2017
Caribbean Princess - Western Europe Passage 9/22/2017
Caribbean Princess - Circle Caribbean 10/07/2017
Pacific Princess - Caribbean Collection 12/22/2017
Viking Embla - Grand Europe River Voyage - 7/03/2018
Williamsburg, VA
405 Posts
Joined May 2011

Since I am not able to unhinge my jaw, I am not a big fan of stacked burgers. Having said that, I would try this one deconstructed without the bun..... with a knife and fork. As you mentioned, with the beer, it is a two dollar investment.
Chicago
1,052 Posts
Joined May 2013

That looks just like the $15 burger I recently had on Celebrity Reflection in the Lawn Club Grill. It was AMAZING!!! I see this burger in my future.
18,732 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by lola2013
That looks just like the $15 burger I recently had on Celebrity Reflection in the Lawn Club Grill. It was AMAZING!!! I see this burger in my future.
On ships with the Salty Dog Gastropub (Crown, Emerald, Ruby) that's included with other food for $12 (down from $19).

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-e...y-dog-menu.pdf