MSC Armenia crashes into dock

AD5ZA

MSC Armenia crashed into the pier at Roatan, Honduras. Took out large section of the dock and briefly ran aground. Both anchors were dropped. Damage to the ship is unknown but somewhat apparent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

MSC Armenia crashed into the pier at Roatan, Honduras. Took out large section of the dock and briefly ran aground. Both anchors were dropped. Damage to the ship is unknown but somewhat apparent.

Thank you, but this was reported on these boards yesterday including video. The ship is MSC Armonia.

Yes, it is ARMONIA, sorry about the out of date post

No need to apologize! Quite often we miss things that come and go quickly. so it's fine to bring it to our attention. Thank you for posting the info. I re-read my initial reply to your post and it did sound a bit abrupt, so sorry if I came across that way.

Doesn't look like there is any damage to the ship, but we can't see what's under water. That would be an exciting port of call. Was it the beginning of the cruise? Must of been a bit of a panic going on, on the bridge. Wonder if that Capt. is still in command?

Allan

Doesn't look like there is any damage to the ship, but we can't see what's under water. That would be an exciting port of call. Was it the beginning of the cruise? Must of been a bit of a panic going on, on the bridge. Wonder if that Capt. is still in command?

Allan

That big bulbous nose underwater keeps a lot of this damage hidden from the above water view.

The video shows that it was very windy. That probably contributed to the ship's difficulty. But, it also shows that she was going too fast with "a bow wave" visible and was at an odd angle in relation to the dock.

Maybe a junior Officer being given docking practice?

Something that I am puzzled about in the video: why was all of that water being discharged from the site of where the anchor is housed? From what little I know, as the anchor is raised, the anchor chain is hosed down during the process. But, once the anchor has been deployed. Why then?

Something that I am puzzled about in the video: why was all of that water being discharged from the site of where the anchor is housed? From what little I know, as the anchor is raised, the anchor chain is hosed down during the process. But, once the anchor has been deployed. Why then?

Water from anchor housing: they might have been pulling in the chain at that point.

At the end of the video the anchors (they dropped both, you can briefly see the starboard anchor chain) are both pulled up into their receptacles. The water was while they were hoisting the anchors (after the ship had stopped).

At the end of the video the anchors (they dropped both, you can briefly see the starboard anchor chain) are both pulled up into their receptacles. The water was while they were hoisting the anchors (after the ship had stopped).

They were properly pulling up they slack before they hit in order to try to slow the vessel down. When ships are mooring or departing an anchor is ready to be lowered if need in emergency, even in areas of restricted maneuverability in case they lose steering or power. Those folks were really lucky in that building had it collapsed when bow went into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The video shows that it was very windy. That probably contributed to the ship's difficulty. But, it also shows that she was going too fast with "a bow wave" visible and was at an odd angle in relation to the dock.

Maybe a junior Officer being given docking practice?

Someone definitely needs more practice.

They were properly pulling up they slack before they hit in order to try to slow the vessel down. When ships are mooring or departing an anchor is ready to be lowered if need in emergency, even in areas of restricted maneuverability in case they lose steering or power. Those folks were really lucky in that building had it collapsed when bow went into it.

Thanks for the explanation

Someone definitely needs more practice.

Reports have they lost engine control.. when you approaching a pier and you close, you should be moving

Very slower and far enough away that the wind won’t act like a sail against side of ship and slam it sideways to the pier.

Typically it’s the Capt docking the vessel with the harbor pilot if required by the port giving commands. Even then when ship very close to pier, Capt takes over or the staff Capt giving orders. Or controlling it him self on bridge wing. Lot of this depends on weather conditions.

It was the bow thruster going at high speed to try and turn the ship in addition to the anchor deployed and main engines most likely full astern. The water churning had nothing to do with the anchor itself.

In these emergency situations the bow thrusters are used to help turn even though using them while the ship has forward motion can damage them.

It was the bow thruster going at high speed to try and turn the ship in addition to the anchor deployed and main engines most likely full astern. The water churning had nothing to do with the anchor itself.

In these emergency situations the bow thrusters are used to help turn even though using them while the ship has forward motion can damage them.

Sounded like he was talking about water coming from the hawser pipes that the anchor chain pass through. Yes the thrusters were working hard. They can be ran with vessel going forward or back, not recommend at high rate speed, often during maneuvering as you using thruster to get away from pier you may want to start making headway. Have overhauled and sea trial many of them, and they take a beating