Viking, can you please change the opening time to sign up for excursions?

Viking Ocean
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:37 PM.
Nottingham, MD
508 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by RynoWally
What I meant by "laughable" was your condescending approach throughout this thread, as well as the elitist, wise decision to move to the UK, and furthermore that your previous post would be your last. Again, Laughable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app
As the original poster, I am relieved that someone else had the same perception. I thought I presented at most a mild complaint, with an attempt to see if there was an alternate schedule that could suit the majority of Viking customers. Somehow though, I seem to be deemed responsible for "petty selfish bickering". I'm not sure how we ended up here.
United Kingdom
870 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
It's a sorry state of affairs when something like this particular thread heads for the waste bin.
I am not elitist, nor am I condescending; so whilst I can see that your request would suit you, it might not suit other people. It was perhaps a frivolous thing to bring up in the first place.
If a person selects a holiday which means that they may experience a minor inconvenience, then firstly they should put up with it (as so many of us do) and secondly they shouldn't go on about it maybe?
I have tried to point out that there are many, many people who have to put up with inconvenient hours - and believe you me, without such people there wouldn't/couldn't be (for example) such things as cruise holidays etc.

Enough said.
New Hampshire
990 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2018 Uniworld Portugal, Spain & Douro River Valley June & Viking Sky Med Odyssey October
2017 Viking Sea Viking Homelands May/June & Viking Forseti Chateaux & Bordeaux September
2016 Viking Lofn Amsterdam to Basel October 2016
2015 Viking Buri Portraits of Southern France April & Silversea Silver Spirit Mediterranean (Istanbul) September
2014 Viking Freya Romantic Danube September
New Hampshire
990 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Originally posted by lackcreativity
As the original poster, I am relieved that someone else had the same perception. I thought I presented at most a mild complaint, with an attempt to see if there was an alternate schedule that could suit the majority of Viking customers. Somehow though, I seem to be deemed responsible for "petty selfish bickering". I'm not sure how we ended up here.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2018 Uniworld Portugal, Spain & Douro River Valley June & Viking Sky Med Odyssey October
2017 Viking Sea Viking Homelands May/June & Viking Forseti Chateaux & Bordeaux September
2016 Viking Lofn Amsterdam to Basel October 2016
2015 Viking Buri Portraits of Southern France April & Silversea Silver Spirit Mediterranean (Istanbul) September
2014 Viking Freya Romantic Danube September
Homosassa, Fl and Colunbia, MD
3,027 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by Jim Avery
I agree with enough said. This thread is beginning to sound like something over on the Princess Board......
I was thinking Carnival, but with much better grammar, spelling and vocabulary.
260 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
We have a Viking cruise booked. Funny, after looking over the Viking threads for awhile, I'm kind of losing interest in the whole thing.

I've played the "compete for reservations game" too many times when planning trips to Disney World. It's tedious. I don't want "tedious" from a cruise line. And I don't want winners and losers. And I don't want to have to book an expensive suite in order to have a decent vacation -- especially since those expensive suites are snapped up quickly by "competitors" who are first out of the gate to book and so I can't get one anyway.

Weird to me that people are okay with this. Whatever.
Surrey, England
1,022 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
On our Viking cruises we have been in the lowliest grade. There is no stress. You will get your included tour in each port.
If there are any problems they are addressed on board in the most charming and helpful manner.
If there is a 'must see' then often a visit to the relevant roll call will find other like minded people and a private tour is often the best.
The Viking shuttles are excellent if you just want to do your own thing.
On my last cruise I was indeed disappointed that one tour was marked as 'sold out' (to the Puccini Villa). When I enquired it appeared that the owner of the property had died and there were no tours available at all for a few months. Reasonable enough excuse I think !
Charleston, SC
4,651 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
I have to be at work at 5AM Mon-Fri, so I have to get up 2AM-3AM every morning to get my dogs fed and walked before leaving for work at 4:30AM.
So I was excited to finally see something come along that was convenient for my schedule for a change.

Now if I could just get activities on the ships, shifted to my early hours.(I usually walk around the ship in the wee hours exploring)
United Kingdom
870 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by bguppies
I have to be at work at 5AM Mon-Fri, so I have to get up 2AM-3AM every morning to get my dogs fed and walked before leaving for work at 4:30AM.
So I was excited to finally see something come along that was convenient for my schedule for a change.

Now if I could just get activities on the ships, shifted to my early hours.(I usually walk around the ship in the wee hours exploring)
You comment about activities on the ships, and I have read that the gym is open but is this only during attended hours? I think if I have to wait to use the gym, I could always use that time for downloading photos and amending them; however it would be nice if the gym was open - otherwise I'll end up having to jog around the deck.
RAMSEY, NJ
1,147 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Can't help but think majority of passengers are first time on VO and unless they're members of cc or other social media have no idea they should be waking at 3am. Rather than complaining, embrace early opening as an insiders edge.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
FUTURE:
Viking Star - NY to Carib 10/18/18
Celebrity Silhouette - Carib 3/15/20

PAST:
Celebrity: Zenith '93, Century '95, Millenium '02, Eclipse '14 '16, Reflection '14, Infinity '15 (PC), Summit '16, Equinox '17 (2x) (Mardi Gras), Expedition '17
Royal: Grandeur '97 '99 '00 '18, Mariner '08, Explorer '06 '08 (Xmas) '10 '11 '12 '13, Oasis '12, Quantum '15, Liberty '15, Anthem '16. '18
Princess: Caribbean '05, Crown '07, Island '10 (Alaska)
Carnival: Victory '03, Legend '04
Staten Island ferry: thousands and thousands of sailings
Nashville, TN (we moved, again)
21,183 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Apparently SOME folks have trouble booking excursions. We waiting a month or so to book ours and had no problem. Guess we were lucky. And, as to dinner - I have no idea what mood I am going to be in 3 months from now. Heck, once we FINALLY picked a restaurant to go to last night, it still took 20 minutes for folks to make a dinner selection. LOL!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RoundTheWorld Blog and Recent Cruises : www.rtw40.com

NCL Jade NYC to Quebec 10/6/17.............Viking Sky 2/25/17 Rome to Barcelona
Viking - Paris to Prague 10/20/16 ..............Allure the Seas-FTL to Barcelona 4/19/15....NCL Pearl -Seatle-Alaska 6/22/14
NCL Dawn - Tampa to Boston 4/27/14.......NCL Dawn-Boston-Bermuda RT 7/26/13 ........[Celebrity Reflection-Carribean 12/8/12
NCL Spirit New Orleans 3/28/10.................NCL Jade - Med to Miami 1/25/09...................NCL Pearl Miami-Panama-Seattle 4/13/08
NCL Spirit New Orleans 11/25/07...............NCL Spirit New England 9/30/07.....................NCL Spirit -NYC , 9/29/07
NCL Sun from New Orleans 3/25/07..........NCL Jewel Barcelona-Miami 10/21/06.............QM2 from New York to England 4/15/06
Alaska via Princess Dawn 5/30/05...............Seabourn Pride: NY-FL-Nassau, 10/17/04......Alaska via Carnival Spirit 6/2/04
United Kingdom
870 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Woke up of my own free will today (just like last week when I did the excursions). Jogged to the gym, did all I needed to at the gym, jogged home. Then we did our dining stuff and had breakfast - nice routine.

However, we just can't settle to anything in the Chef's Table - mainly we simply selected Manfredi's and we'll duck and dive when we are on board for the rest.

However, I understand that there's no lunch in the mdr on embarkation, and no lunch in the mdr on a port day. We've obviously been spoilt in the past, with always a wonderful lunch on embarkation day in the restaurant, and always some form of afternoon tea available (either in the accommodation-specific lounge or in the suite). Well, it's always good to try something new, and so far this Viking cruise is full of new experiences for us.
Hope everyone else - on whatever cruise - get the dining and excursions of their choice.
4,058 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by Parsley Cruises
Woke up of my own free will today (just like last week when I did the excursions). Jogged to the gym, did all I needed to at the gym, jogged home. Then we did our dining stuff and had breakfast - nice routine.

However, we just can't settle to anything in the Chef's Table - mainly we simply selected Manfredi's and we'll duck and dive when we are on board for the rest.

However, I understand that there's no lunch in the mdr on embarkation, and no lunch in the mdr on a port day. We've obviously been spoilt in the past, with always a wonderful lunch on embarkation day in the restaurant, and always some form of afternoon tea available (either in the accommodation-specific lounge or in the suite). Well, it's always good to try something new, and so far this Viking cruise is full of new experiences for us.
Hope everyone else - on whatever cruise - get the dining and excursions of their choice.

Viking does a very lovely afternoon tea in the Wintergarden daily.

Lunch in the World Cafe is equally lovely.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kath ...

Upcoming Cruises

Viking Modi -Grand European- 9/17/18
Azamara Journey - Bermuda & the Old South - 4/10/19
Viking Sea - Eastern Seaboard Explorer - 9/26/19

Past cruises
Viking Sea - West Indies Explorer- 3/17/18
Carnival Sunshine - Canada & NE - 9/9/17
Viking Mani - Rhine Getaway - 8/26/16 - photos & review
Carnival Pride - Eastern Caribbean - 4/23/16 - photos
Carnival Pride - Eastern Caribbean - 6/14/15 review & photos
Carnival Splendor - Canada - 9/1/14 photos
Carnival Splendor - Eastern Caribbean -6/10/13 review & photos
Carnival Miracle - Eastern Caribbean - 6/7/11 photos
Carnival Victory - Canada 6/12/07 Photos
Carnival Legend - Eastern Caribbean - 6/5/06 - Fabulous! Photos -
Voyager of the Seas - Bermuda - 5/15/05
Carnival Legend - Cruise to Nowhere - 2004
Carnival Victory - Cruise to Nowhere - 2003
Carnival Triumph - Cruise to Nowhere - 2002

New England
481 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
I'm not going to complain about times. I just have difficulty with the whole idea that the "upper classes" get first crack at the excursions. Most cruise lines do just fine with letting first come first serve even if you are in steerage. We have gotten all our excursions (we are "middle level") but were on a Viking Med cruise on which we met people who could not get any included tours in Algeria--and you could not get off the ship without a tour.
It would also be nice if we could prebook a restaurant reservation for four. We are a party of four but prebooking is limited to one table for two. Yes, we can usually book on board, but it does feel like a put down.
It is what it is, but I wish it were different.
Jay
Nottingham, MD
508 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by jnjcruz
I'm not going to complain about times. I just have difficulty with the whole idea that the "upper classes" get first crack at the excursions. Most cruise lines do just fine with letting first come first serve even if you are in steerage. We have gotten all our excursions (we are "middle level") but were on a Viking Med cruise on which we met people who could not get any included tours in Algeria--and you could not get off the ship without a tour.
It would also be nice if we could prebook a restaurant reservation for four. We are a party of four but prebooking is limited to one table for two. Yes, we can usually book on board, but it does feel like a put down.
Jay
It's funny, this thread has certainly reminded me that we don't all see things the same way. We book the least expensive cabin, and don't object at all to the hierarchy for booking, only that I must get up at three in the morning to maximize my chances of getting an optional excursion!

We can not justify paying for a more expensive cabin, even if we lose out on an optional excursion. Once on board, everyone on a Viking ship is treated to the same wonderful experience, with access to all the same parts of the ship.

On your earlier Mediterranean cruise, whoever you heard claiming that they could not get an included excursion in Algiers was mistaken. Everyone is guaranteed a spot, and if all slots appear to be booked, then a call to Viking customer service will resolve the issue. If they waited until on board to try to fix such an error, then perhaps that could result in an inability to get a spot.
4,058 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by jnjcruz

Jay

You can now link your booking with another for dinner reservations. This is a recent change.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kath ...

Upcoming Cruises

Viking Modi -Grand European- 9/17/18
Azamara Journey - Bermuda & the Old South - 4/10/19
Viking Sea - Eastern Seaboard Explorer - 9/26/19

Past cruises
Viking Sea - West Indies Explorer- 3/17/18
Carnival Sunshine - Canada & NE - 9/9/17
Viking Mani - Rhine Getaway - 8/26/16 - photos & review
Carnival Pride - Eastern Caribbean - 4/23/16 - photos
Carnival Pride - Eastern Caribbean - 6/14/15 review & photos
Carnival Splendor - Canada - 9/1/14 photos
Carnival Splendor - Eastern Caribbean -6/10/13 review & photos
Carnival Miracle - Eastern Caribbean - 6/7/11 photos
Carnival Victory - Canada 6/12/07 Photos
Carnival Legend - Eastern Caribbean - 6/5/06 - Fabulous! Photos -
Voyager of the Seas - Bermuda - 5/15/05
Carnival Legend - Cruise to Nowhere - 2004
Carnival Victory - Cruise to Nowhere - 2003
Carnival Triumph - Cruise to Nowhere - 2002

260 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Too bad Viking requires full payment so early. I'd prefer to know that my "essential" tours are available before I'm fully committed to go on the cruise.

Not sure I'm ready for that "leap of faith" as there is so much travel effort and money involved.

The cruise we're looking at is to see the Northern Lights -- where tourist accommodations are probably limited, and we're only there for one purpose, to get to see the Lights. If the most advantageous tours were unavailable, I would not be a happy camper!
United Kingdom
870 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Our date for payment for our cruises is about 80 days roughly before departure, so we can’t grumble. We prefer paying after the excursions are published so we’re happy.
Having visited Iceland several times, there is plenty of accommodation available; we usually go February or March. Beware there’s no guarantee of seeing the lights; and there’s no point paying out for special excursions to see them. We’ve known people pay for such excursions and fail. However we’ve been lucky. We don’t go to Iceland because of the lights; just love it there.