New menus in Britannia Queen Victoria

Host Hattie

These menus certainly look more interesting than those I had on my last Cunard trip (July 2017 on QM2). In fact, I remember saying in my cruise questionnaire, post cruise online survey and my Cruise Critic review that I thought Cunard really needed to re-think its evening menus. I haven't been on QV before so don't know whether some of the dishes look new because they are specific to QV, but I'm definitely looking forward to trying some on my short trip in November. (And good to see that some favourites like vanilla lemon soufflé are still being offered!)

Are these menus likely to be on QM2 now? Fingers crossed...

We had these menus (or at least very similar ones) on the QM2 at the end of August. Our table really liked them. We did ask the waiter whether the change in menus meant that the hidden always available options (chicken, beef, salmon) were still available but he didn't know and we forgot to ask again before the end of the trip.

The grouping of salads on the printed page in no way eliminates your ability to have a salad course. On our most recent QM2 voyage, we often had a five and sometimes six course meal in the dining room.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Do folk commonly ask for cheese as an additional post-desert course?

The new menus look interesting, some things a bit exotic or trendy for my taste, but certainly can find something agreeable each day.

Many thanks Hattie for posting.

Can I assume now that they are somewhat standardized and no longer dated with the evenings date that one can no longer obtain a set at the end of the voyage as in past years?

What is Cullen Skink on the Gala Dinner Menu?

I'm not familiar with Cullen Skink either, but Wikipedia came to the rescue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullen_skink

I'm sure some of our friends from Scotland on this forum will be happy to assist with how accurate that Wikipedia article is and/or expand upon it.

The new menus look interesting, some things a bit exotic or trendy for my taste, but certainly can find something agreeable each day.

Many thanks Hattie for posting.

Can I assume now that they are somewhat standardized and no longer dated with the evenings date that one can no longer obtain a set at the end of the voyage as in past years?

We were given the menus up to last Friday, the end of the cruise for a lot of our fellow passengers. Edited by Host Hattie

I can confirm that Cullen Skink is a thick, creamy smoked fish soup - usually containing haddock, potatoes and often cream originally from the fishing village of Cullen here in the NE of Scotland - a firm favourite for the winter :)

I'm not familiar with Cullen Skink either, but Wikipedia came to the rescue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullen_skink

I'm sure some of our friends from Scotland on this forum will be happy to assist with how accurate that Wikipedia article is and/or expand upon it.

We have friends who were on QE recently and unless they have changed how it is served since their cruise, it came liquidised a big NO NO.

It should come thick and creamy with chunks of smoked haddock and potatoes, you should certainly not be able to suck it through a straw! A good bowl of Cullen Skink is nearly a meal in itself and is truly delicious.

We had Cullen Skink on QM2 two weeks ago, but it wasn't. It was fish soup, brown in colour. It should be white.

Cullen Skink is the easiest soup to make. The basic ingredients are smoked haddock (in chunks), onions, milk, potatoes (chopped, not mashed) and seasoning. That's it.

As stated, it's very filling, and expensive if you are quite liberal with the fish!

Stewart