Mariner Society bonus cruise day credits

We've just completed a Y3C 10 day Alaskan cruise tour, and earned 4 bonus credits towards our loyalty account. The website states that these credits are earned by booking a suite, and for every $300 in eligible onboard purchases.

We spent $200 onboard, $100 on a future cruise deposit, and $500 on excursions (prebooked), in a veranda. We didn't even know that bonus credits existed, which is a great feature, but I'm still unsure how I earned 4 of them. :confused:

Hotel service charges and a generous rounding up?

No complaints on the rounding up, and maybe it's just assumed average hotel spending. We purchased meals on the trains, a couple rounds of coffee, and maybe $20 in gift shops. $100 max, we never ate at the lodges once. ;)

Oh and I just did the math. We spent $350 on food the entire 7 day land tour. Price brought down by a couple free lunches included, a weak Canadian dollar, grocery store snacks, eating local meats, and going for bang per buck at the restaurants. The goal was to keep it under $700, a fraction of HAL's dining package of $1,500.

We were fortunate to do a 10-night in a Neptune on Zuiderdam about two years ago and I knew we'd get 10 credits for the cruise, and 10 bonus for the suite. I never expected to get 10 bonus for spending...because there's no way we spent an 'actual' $3k before or during the cruise.

We were booked under Explore4 so our drink package, gratuities and internet credit was all paid for. Our one specialty dinner in the Pinnacle was free as well. We did two HAL excursions that in total were maybe $375. We can only assume that because all our drinks, the gratuities and internet credit were actually 'charged' to our account and then credited off (as if they were then paid for) that we got the credits that way.

I happily took the 30 credits for that one trip. Puts me far closer to reaching 3-star status with just one more cruise.

yes what Krazy Kruisers stated is the case, the monies paid for Future Cruise Deposits are done directly to your credit card. Therefore, they do not appear anywhere on your shipboard account.

Also any excursions, packages, specialty dining reservations which are booked prior to sailing - will count towards earning bonus days at the rate of $300 worth of purchases equalling one bonus day.

HAL is usually very generous in rounding upwards.

yes what Krazy Kruisers stated is the case, the monies paid for Future Cruise Deposits are done directly to your credit card. Therefore, they do not appear anywhere on your shipboard account.

Also any excursions, packages, specialty dining reservations which are booked prior to sailing - will count towards earning bonus days at the rate of $300 worth of purchases equalling one bonus day.

HAL is usually very generous in rounding upwards.

Evidently, and it actually works in encouraging loyalty. We didn't have a package or get anything comped. Since they weren't keeping track of spend on the land portion, HAL must give a generous bump. Most people seemed to eat at the lodges by default or convenience.

What's funny is that after 15 days on Celebrity (OV & Aqua cabins), I am 36% towards tier 2. With 10 days on HAL, I am already 47% towards it!

• 1 month later...
The only item from what you listed that you won't get bonus days for is the $100 deposit on a future cruise.

Always appreciate your expert input!

1. Do you get credit toward the $300 for gratuities—and if so, what about if you have free paid gratuities as a perk? Does that count or not?

2. If you have $300 OBC, do you get one day for using it – or do you have to use it up and then charge another $300 before you get a bonus credit?

3. Do both of us have to spend $300 each ($609) – or does just one of us spending 300 give each of us a bonus day credit?

Thanks!!

Always appreciate your expert input!

1. Do you get credit toward the $300 for gratuities—and if so, what about if you have free paid gratuities as a perk? Does that count or not?

2. If you have $300 OBC, do you get one day for using it – or do you have to use it up and then charge another $300 before you get a bonus credit?

3. Do both of us have to spend $300 each ($609) – or does just one of us spending 300 give each of us a bonus day credit?

Thanks!!

1. Yes - prepaid HSC count IF they charge and then refund you.

2. You get one day for using it.

3. Just one person has to spend if you are in the same cabin and on the same booking. It's the amount charged to the cabin, so, if you have a total of $300 billed it's 1 credit whether one person charges or you both do.

We've just completed a Y3C 10 day Alaskan cruise tour, and earned 4 bonus credits towards our loyalty account. The website states that these credits are earned by booking a suite, and for every $300 in eligible onboard purchases.

We spent $200 onboard, $100 on a future cruise deposit, and $500 on excursions (prebooked), in a veranda. We didn't even know that bonus credits existed, which is a great feature, but I'm still unsure how I earned 4 of them. :confused:

If you received any gifts that were ordered through HAL, you get days credit for the price of that gift

If someone sent you flowers, wine etc, you get Mariner day credit for that.

1. Yes - prepaid HSC count IF they charge and then refund you.

2. You get one day for using it.

3. Just one person has to spend if you are in the same cabin and on the same booking. It's the amount charged to the cabin, so, if you have a total of $300 billed it's 1 credit whether one person charges or you both do.

Thanks, dear Jacqui! We will get the suite doubling on our 12-day Prinsendam transatlantic in October— but need just one more point for 25 days to hit 5-Star—so we don’t want to miss it.

Forgot to ask about PG bookings I make in advance online via credit card. I have been told (onboard) that these expenses do not count, and the only way to get credit is to cancel onboard and rebook…?

BTW: For a second, I got so excited when I saw in your signature lines that you are on the Spring South America cruise—meaning that David and I would finally get to sail with you after all these years! But we are doing the 34-day in March-April 2019–and yours, I see, is 2020. 😟

Maybe one of these days....

Warmest wishes,

Mary-Lou

Forgot to ask about PG bookings I make in advance online via credit card. I have been told (onboard) that these expenses do not count, and the only way to get credit is to cancel onboard and rebook…?

Whoever told you that was incorrect; hopefully it wasn't anyone who works for HAL.

Bonus days for spending are calculated based on spending attributed to that booking number. When the purchase is made (before or during the cruise) does not matter, neither does who made the purchase matter. So, specialty dining reservations, shore excursions, or anything else paid for in advance, will count toward your spending bonus. So will anything purchased for you by friends, relatives, or even your travel agent.

Whoever told you that was incorrect; hopefully it wasn't anyone who works for HAL.

Bonus days for spending are calculated based on spending attributed to that booking number. When the purchase is made (before or during the cruise) does not matter, neither does who made the purchase matter. So, specialty dining reservations, shore excursions, or anything else paid for in advance, will count toward your spending bonus. So will anything purchased for you by friends, relatives, or even your travel agent.

Thanks, dear Ruth!

I treasure the 17 days we finally got to sail with YOU ( after all the years of your gracious expert advice) on the Volendam from Kobe to Vancouver a couple years ago!

Warmest wishes,

Mary-Lou

Ruth, of course, is correct, :) Whomever on the ship told you 'No', is wrong.

Thanks! And thanks for your many years of marvelous advice from which DH Dave have definitely benefited.

Warmest wishes,

Mary-Lou

Agree 100%

Absolutely and positively. I prebook a lot of stuff and have always gotten credit.

Thanks! And thanks for your many years of marvelous advice from which DH Dave have definitely benefited.

Warmest wishes,

Mary-Lou

You are very welcome. :)

And warm wishes to you, Mary-Lou, as well

Judy

They are very generous. One time I contested the number of days (too many!) and was told that was the way it was done... I think perhaps they round up the days for anything pre-purchased, and then round up again for what is purchased on the ship!

Ok, gang, let's see if I get this right. Very important.

Trigger warning - math involved.

I'm currently 18 points short of 3*.

Seven day cruise scheduled in November in a Neptune suite.

So, I'm four points short of 3*.

Now, how do I get there by the end of this cruise? I need $1200 of onboard spending.

$200 HSC (approximately).

$240 Specialty Dining. (1 PG, 1 Tamarind, 1 Bento box, 1 Sel de Mer) For two.

$300 General Spending (nick-nacks-paddywacks, etc)

$720 Two Signature Beverage Packages)

That should do it, right?

That should do it, right?
Right. And if you don't think you can make $300 in General you can add an excursion or voluntarily increase your HSC. Plus with the generous round-up that they do you probably only need $1050 to $1100 for 4 credits.

Your next star benefits to not kick in until your subsequent cruise after amassing the necessary days.

if you enjoy wine have a nice bottle one or two night s with your Dinner :)

You will get days for total amount of your H otel Service charge. as noted in above message that was posted while I was typing

Have dinner in Pinnacle and/or a nice lunch

Buy a t shirt.. a few drinks and/or excursion ... an internet package

Edited by sail7seas

Right. And if you don't think you can make $300 in General you can add an excursion or voluntarily increase your HSC. Plus with the generous round-up that they do you probably only need $1050 to $1100 for 4 credits.

The $300 in General Spending shouldn't be an issue since we'll be paying corkage on four bottles of wine ($72). Plus wife always finds some stuff we need.

I'd rather not take a chance on rounding because we would like to be 3Star for our next cruise in 2019.