Misdemeanors and Cruising

Melipope

Hello wise cruisers!

Our group is having a panic moment because someone casually mentioned to us that you can't cruise if you have a misdemeanor. We have a group of seven and three of the people have misdemeanors. Two DUI's one over ten and the other over twenty years ago, and one fifth degree theft (bad check) about 18 years ago. Traveling to Mexico, do we need to cancel our trip???

Panicking!

The only things that generally prohibit cruising are sex offenders, and DUI's when entering Canada. I don't believe Mexico cares. As long as there are no outstanding warrants (and the jurisdiction wants to extradite), you'll be fine getting off the ship at the end as well.

There is no rule that says you canNOT cruise with a misdemeanor!!

IF you have an outstanding warrant for something then you may get arrested when you return but no one will stop you from getting onto the ship!

The only place you might have a problem with a previous DUI or drug arrest is if you have a shore excursion in Canada.

No worries, except as mentioned Canada with a DUI. You can be a cop with most misdemeanors, don't have to worry about getting on a cruise ship. Only felony that I would imagine would be precluded is sex offenders. Otherwise you did your time, that was your punishment to society and it's been paid.

Unless anyone has warrants out for their arrest or they are currently accused of a felony crime on going in courts they can not cruise. They are on parole and do not have permission from their parole officer they can not cruise. DUI, DWI certainly does not disqualify you from being able to cruise. if it, did that would disqualify a lot of cruisers in this country. LOL. passing bad checks doesn't really either. unless he/she is still wanted or on parole for it. then they have to get permission from their parole officer and Carnival before going.

The only things that generally prohibit cruising are sex offenders, and DUI's when entering Canada. I don't believe Mexico cares. As long as there are no outstanding warrants (and the jurisdiction wants to extradite), you'll be fine getting off the ship at the end as well.

OMG that is funny, but for the life of me I don't know why :'):D

And what is the policy with felonies? Nothing outstanding.

.... or so you think.

Many many many folks (per a 2016 NY Times article https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/opinion/have-you-ever-been-arrested-check-here.amp.html ) seeking things like "global entry" cards, positions with law enforcement, etc are surprised as hell when they are informed that there is a disqualifying "no disposition" of an ancient felony arrest in their FBI record despite a state case having been dismissed or tried with a finding of "no guilt."

Making it worse is the reality that some states or even counties destroy criminal records of dismissed or "not guilty" cases after X years (creating what is probably the best example of a "catch-22 that has ever existed).

Apparently, states are supposed to inform the FBI of judicial decisions (as they did with the arrests). But that doesn't always happen (especially if it was back in the day of "only paper" records). And, as to might expect, that federal record (no disposition after your arrest) trumps your state record in all sorts of situations.

Note that, if you're in a non-law enforcement position requiring a "background check"'with fingerprints, your state may only require a check of their own criminal record. That might mean that you can go for many years, thinking you don't have a record - even receiving clean background (statewide) checks - and still have a "no disposition" situation on your FBI record (actually not the FBI - rather some federal DOJ database).

Bottom line of this situation is that you can be denied things like global entry (I know several folks who have had this problem) and the only way you might know about it beforehand is to do your own federal background check (there are authorized private companies to do this) including the preferred submission of "live scan" prints which, ironically, you can't usually get from your local PD (unless you've been arrested).

Cleaning up this mess? It took one person I know almost a year to get the State of Connecticut to rectify the (destroyed record) situation and inform the Feds to correct/erase their record.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OMG that is funny, but for the life of me I don't know why :'):D

What made me go huh one time we flew into Cozumel and they brought the dogs around to sniff the checked baggage as it came off the plane. A friend asked if they were looking for drugs. The answer was no they were sniffing for fruits and vegetables being brought in.

What made me go huh one time we flew into Cozumel and they brought the dogs around to sniff the checked baggage as it came off the plane. A friend asked if they were looking for drugs. The answer was no they were sniffing for fruits and vegetables being brought in.

Why does that surprise you?