And this is why people fall off cruise ships!

rkacruiser

Watching Crown Princess sail from Port Everglades and I see two people sitting on the railing with their legs on the outside of the railing at the bow of the ship as the ship is sailing in the channel. They are in full view of the Bridge.

Someone on the Bridge needs to summon Security ASAP!

Where's the evidence? Was this the same day as the jet skiers were rescued by the Coast Guard as the HUGE ship was descending upon them in the channel (or a different ship)? I need to take a cruise soon. Missing all the excitement.

Watching Crown Princess sail from Port Everglades and I see two people sitting on the railing with their legs on the outside of the railing at the bow of the ship as the ship is sailing in the channel. They are in full view of the Bridge.

Someone on the Bridge needs to summon Security ASAP!

The bow area is off limits to passengers. These could only be ship staff, and they could have been there to keep watch for any jet ski users cutting close in front of the bow, which would be difficult for the bridge to see.

To think that the people in the bridge wouldn't have taken care of this if it were passengers is pretty naive.

The bow area is off limits to passengers. These could only be ship staff, and they could have been there to keep watch for any jet ski users cutting close in front of the bow, which would be difficult for the bridge to see.

To think that the people in the bridge wouldn't have taken care of this if it were passengers is pretty naive.

No, the people I saw were not ship staff; no uniforms and dressed casually as all of us cruisers usually do when we sail. I have no knowledge as to how on this Class of ships guests could have found access to this area.

Even if they were ship staff members, sitting on the rail. How can you explain such an approved action by the Officers on the Bridge for whatever reason?

There is no answer to your comment of me being "naive" or of my last question. Neither of us know what transpired after Crown Princess' bow left the range of the web cam.

No, the people I saw were not ship staff; no uniforms and dressed casually as all of us cruisers usually do when we sail. I have no knowledge as to how on this Class of ships guests could have found access to this area.

Even if they were ship staff members, sitting on the rail. How can you explain such an approved action by the Officers on the Bridge for whatever reason?

There is no answer to your comment of me being "naive" or of my last question. Neither of us know what transpired after Crown Princess' bow left the range of the web cam.

You can replay the video by searching here http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/replay.php

As I read it they are crew members in a crew recreation area and in no danger whatever of falling off the ship. The attached photo shows where they are. The photos is small, but that's due to the limits of this site.

crown.jpg.a43d0e613ec4ba5120bece628272f0b4.jpg

It may come as a surprise to you, but the staff do get some time off to relax, and like you and me, do not wear uniforms when they are doing so. Just like us, they wear causal clothing. Being crew members, they know how to handle themselves on a ship. I watched the video of the departure. Eventually one man and one woman were indeed sitting on the railing, and another man had one leg over it while standing behind it. The rest were standing behind the railing. But, if you look at the attached photo, you will see that they are not anywhere close to the edge of the ship. They are standing at the railing in front of the pool, with several feet of deck space between them and a short wall structure that walls off the recreational area. And even that short wall is several feet from the edge. Now that you see where they were standing, you might want to give up your argument that these are passengers that have sneaked out to the very front edge of the ship and are doing something dangerous and that security is not very good at their jobs.

On%20railing.jpg

On%20railing%202%20cs.JPG

grand_princess_f_007.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

I think they are drunk or want to commit suicide.

Quite often... but a cruise ship is also the perfect place to 'disappear' someone. The lines want to sweep as much as possible under the rug to avoid publicity; and if someone 'falls' overboard in international waters, an investigation is the responsibility of the government of the country in which the ship is registered. Even if foul play is suspected, no 'port of convenience' country (including the Bermuda) is going to fly a couple of detectives half-way around the world to do an investigation and bring possible charges.

Quite often... but a cruise ship is also the perfect place to 'disappear' someone. The lines want to sweep as much as possible under the rug to avoid publicity; and if someone 'falls' overboard in international waters, an investigation is the responsibility of the government of the country in which the ship is registered. Even if foul play is suspected, no 'port of convenience' country (including the Bermuda) is going to fly a couple of detectives half-way around the world to do an investigation and bring possible charges.

Oow oow , I can see it now . A TV show where each week a passenger is offed by a evil-doer .

A plucky assistant cruise director must solve this murder using only her wits and trivia game skills .

They could call it , are you ready ...... MURDER SHE BOAT !!! :eek:

Oow oow , I can see it now . A TV show where each week a passenger is offed by a evil-doer .

A plucky assistant cruise director must solve this murder using only her wits and trivia game skills .

How about an ever popular "reality series" where each week, 20 people try to make the others disappear until only the "sole survivor" is left.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Belly laughs.

Where's the evidence? Was this the same day as the jet skiers were rescued by the Coast Guard as the HUGE ship was descending upon them in the channel (or a different ship)? I need to take a cruise soon. Missing all the excitement.

Here's a link below to the video replay from the Ft Lauderdale "wave" webcam archive. You need to select the ship and sailing date and the video will play - the activity the OP is referring to is right at the beginning. I'm not familiar with the bow of this ship but it looks like there is deck space beyond the railing that they are perched upon. Regardless, probably not a very smart move.

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/replay.php

Here's a link below to the video replay from the Ft Lauderdale "wave" webcam archive. You need to select the ship and sailing date and the video will play - the activity the OP is referring to is right at the beginning. I'm not familiar with the bow of this ship but it looks like there is deck space beyond the railing that they are perched upon. Regardless, probably not a very smart move.

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/replay.php

Yep, and if you look at the photos provided by santafefan, you will see that the railing they are sitting on is about 12-15 feet from the bulwark around the forward deck, this bulwark (the solid steel structure around the perimeter of this open deck) is 6-8' high, and is faired back from the sides of the ship by another 8-12'. Could these people have fallen off the railings, sure. How far would they have fallen? 6-7 feet to the deck below (total from the top of the rail to the deck below).

To fall overboard from here, they would have had to climb up on the bulwark, in full view of the bridge, over the bulwark rail, and then let go to slide down the bulwark over the side. The PA or loud hailer would have stopped that long before it got that far.

It may come as a surprise to you, but the staff do get some time off to relax, and like you and me, do not wear uniforms when they are doing so. Just like us, they wear causal clothing. Being crew members, they know how to handle themselves on a ship. I watched the video of the departure. Eventually one man and one woman were indeed sitting on the railing, and another man had one leg over it while standing behind it. The rest were standing behind the railing. But, if you look at the attached photo, you will see that they are not anywhere close to the edge of the ship. They are standing at the railing in front of the pool, with several feet of deck space between them and a short wall structure that walls off the recreational area. And even that short wall is several feet from the edge. Now that you see where they were standing, you might want to give up your argument that these are passengers that have sneaked out to the very front edge of the ship and are doing something dangerous and that security is not very good at their jobs.

On%20railing.jpg

On%20railing%202%20cs.JPG

grand_princess_f_007.jpg

Yes, Yes, We can all see that now, but why the seriousness, the Op was only trying to bring it to our attention. Maybe you should tell the staff off then.:D:D:D

Yes, Yes, We can all see that now, but why the seriousness, the Op was only trying to bring it to our attention. Maybe you should tell the staff off then.:D:D:D

It was the title of the thread, "And this is why people fall off cruise ships!", that says it all. The op made an accusatory statement about these people, and the cruise line officers, especially in post #7, without any understanding of the actual situation. If he had titled it "Were these people at risk of falling overboard?", it would have been as benign a post as you are suggesting. Rather than jumping to conclusions that these people were passengers who sneaked out there and were at risk of falling overboard, it would have been much better if the OP had actually researched where they were standing by doing what I did, searching for photos of the ship on the internet. Facts, not assumptions.

The original post qualifies as "Fake News". Something we see way too much of these days! ;p

Edited by SantaFeFan