Feedback on Embassy Suites near cruise port

Janie1229

Totally agree with you iancal. We stayed there in March. We are not fussy but found the hotel dated. There was nothing horrible about ES. It was convenient to the port, the breakfast was decent but we were there early in the morning. As we were finishing eating it became crowded to the point of you could not find a place to sit. I believe we paid around $350 for one night (including tax). I was looking at it for next March and it looks like prices went up at the ES.

I decided to stay at Hyatt Place for our next cruise. It's nearby the ES so convenient stores are still nearby, HP is much smaller in size, reviews are better and it appears to be much more updated/modern in comparison. I think I'm getting a much better deal as the price is much less..

$350 for 1 night!! I think we paid $150 in may, and thought that was high.

Like others we are HHonors people and stay free at Embassy. Not our favorite buts its only one night and free so we stay there. Shuttle to port can sometimes be an issue in the mornings depending on what time you leave. Maybe Sunday's are better since Allure is the only ship in port that day.

Like others we are HHonors people and stay free at Embassy. Not our favorite buts its only one night and free so we stay there. Shuttle to port can sometimes be an issue in the mornings depending on what time you leave. Maybe Sunday's are better since Allure is the only ship in port that day.

Allure is the only ship in on Sundays? Really? We last sailed out of Port Everglades on a Sunday, and there were 7 ships in. Perhaps you are talking the "off season" in Ft Lauderdale?

We booked the Hyatt Place convention center, close to Embassy Suites, for $153 in October. Free shuttle from airport to hotel. Not sure about breakfast or shuttle to cruise port, but even if that's not included it's fine. Close to grocery to purchase big bottle of sunblock, etc. before heading to ship :-)

Add me to the list of Hilton Honors members who can't beat the price - free. ;)

The hotel is in a convenient location, no rental car needed. Breakfast included, and a variety of nearby restaurants and stores. Yes, a bit dated, but my room has always been clean which is more important to me. I'm not sure I understand the dark comments, because the only time the living room was dark was when I pulled the curtains for privacy. But that's why there are lamps and lights.

I wonder what the plans are for the hotel long term. A few years back the atrium was re-done, but as far as I know nothing's been done to the guest rooms. Sometimes when a hotel is past its useful life, it will be sold to another hotel chain that operates at a lower price point. The problem with Embassy Suites is that their design is so distinctive - large open atriums with inward facing guest rooms and all suites - that I don't know that another chain would take it over and adapt it to their model.

Roz

As long as it is clean, the Happy Hour is nice and the breakfast is good, I don't care if it is dated.

Bimini Boatyard is good for dinner

And that is why we liked it...plus we got an early check in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We find the Hyatt Place next door or the Ren up the street to be much better rooms, better all around value given our preferences.

We would never, ever pay $350. for the ES. It simply is not worth it. It certainly does not compare well to some of the other ES's where we have stayed.

This one reminds me of an old cruise ship where the cruise line is trying to squeeze every dime of profit out of the place based on the reputation of the chain rather than that of the actual property before selling it or doing a complete renovation.

Edited by iancal

Uber to port was 7.00 total for 3 people last winter.:)

I stayed there for one night a few years ago and had a great experience. The evening free drinks and the big breakfast in the morning are nice. We went to Southport Raw bar right near the hotel for a great meal. We are going on a cruise again in June 2019 and already made out hotel reservation for there again. They have a military rate and any way of saving money is a plus for me

A couple of years ago we stayed at Embassy Suites and thought it was a bit run down. I liked the breakfast and the happy hour was so so, nothing great.

We then started staying at Hyatt Place Convention Center and booked it through Valuetrips.com. The rooms are far more updated and comfortable than the ES. There is a free breakfast, albeit not one like the one at ES, but that's not a big deal to us as we board the ship early and can go to lunch.

I think for the difference in price between the 2 and the rooms themselves, I'd rather go to Hyatt Place. There is a tiny bar there and if I want to get some wine, there is a happy hour and that works for me. The hotels are very close to each other, so the restaurants are close by, if walking, and easy to drive to if one has a car.

I also like the front desk people at Hyatt. In January we stayed there 2 nights. We went to the bar and I ordered a wine and was told about the happy hour. In talking with the bartender, who was also a front desk person, I asked about the waffles as in the past they had a do it yourself waffle machine. He said Hyatt had done away with them and I was fine with that as the first morning we were there, they had pancakes that just came from the kitchen.

The morning of check-out, we went down for a quick breakfast as we knew we would have lunch early on the ship, and the same person who was the bartender the night before, came up to me to tell me he had been watching for me because they had waffles that morning. I thought that was great and we stayed there again in June when we sailed on Allure again.

I know we can't book yet for our January cruise, and I will keep looking for the availability and book with them before I would consider another hotel.

We feel exactly the same way as you do about the Hyatt Place rooms. The rooms make the difference for us. We far prefer them to the tired, dark ES rooms. We feel exactly the same way about the ES happy hour and breakfast. For us, the room is our primary decision point. We can get a happy hour drink or a breakfast (if we wish) anywhere.

We have stayed probably 8 times in Fort Lauderdale for cruises. Embassy Suites is the last hotel I would pick as far as what is avaialble. The rooms were not clean, just many things very disorganized. We have stayed at much better for less money in that area. It’s about a 2 out of 10 for me.

If we were doing 2 or more nights in FLL prior to a cruise we would stay at a beach resort close by, but for just one night, arriving around 5:00 PM, Embassy is just fine. Happy hour, dinner, Publix near by...it's just one night!

I am trying to book a room for one night on Jan 5, and haven’t found anything less than 300$ per night. Hyatt Place is 410$. We stayed there a couple of years ago, and loved it...but....I can’t believe the rates for a one night hotel stay are nearly half the cost of a cruise! I am open to any suggestions for alternative hotels- We don’t care about proximity to grocery store and/or shopping, restaurants,etc. Just need a comfy bed and a quick ride to the port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am trying to book a room for one night on Jan 5, and haven’t found anything less than 300$ per night. Hyatt Place is 410$. We stayed there a couple of years ago, and loved it...but....I can’t believe the rates for a one night hotel stay are nearly half the cost of a cruise! I am open to any suggestions for alternative hotels- We don’t care about proximity to grocery store and/or shopping, restaurants,etc. Just need a comfy bed and a quick ride to the port.

Another reason we stay at Embassy...FREE, i.e. Hilton Honor Points!

When I visit Tripadvisor, their site shows rates somewhat less than what you are finding for hotels on the SE 17th St strip. right near the port. For your January 5, 2019 date, they show the Hyatt Place at about $US300 through Booking.com, the Extended Stay is only $US212 through a variety of sites, and the big Renaissance at around $US270 (I see the prices in Canadian dollars and I'm converting to US $$$s so there may be a little variation in prices). Our usual fallback area when 17th St prices are high is Plantation, just up the 595, but at the time you are looking at, right after Christmas, the prices aren't that much lower and would be offset by higher transport costs to Port Everglades.

You could also wait until September, when the Valuetrips.com rates for the Hyatt Place are due to come out according to posts here on CC. We just booked the Hyatt Place at $153 for our early November stay.

Best of luck in your search.

When I visit Tripadvisor, their site shows rates somewhat less than what you are finding for hotels on the SE 17th St strip. right near the port. For your January 5, 2019 date, they show the Hyatt Place at about $US300 through Booking.com, the Extended Stay is only $US212 through a variety of sites, and the big Renaissance at around $US270 (I see the prices in Canadian dollars and I'm converting to US $$$s so there may be a little variation in prices). Our usual fallback area when 17th St prices are high is Plantation, just up the 595, but at the time you are looking at, right after Christmas, the prices aren't that much lower and would be offset by higher transport costs to Port Everglades.

You could also wait until September, when the Valuetrips.com rates for the Hyatt Place are due to come out according to posts here on CC. We just booked the Hyatt Place at $153 for our early November stay.

Best of luck in your search.

Very helpful. Thank you! [emoji4]

You can book Hyatt Place thru, http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm

for a considerable discount. Some dates are blocked from the discount. The rates for next year have not been posted as of yet. If you can wait it should be no more than what they were last year.

This is exactly what I’ll do. Thank you! [emoji4] You would think after 39 cruises I would have the hang of things...[emoji6]