Last minute cruises- how last minute?

Esilef

The best we've done is 15 days prior to sailing. That was the Carnival cruise we did last year. We could only do that because a friend was staying at our house during the period of the cruise so could house-sit and cat-sit for us. Usually we have to plan well in advance for that reason.

I booked a P&O cruise about 6 weeks due a great deal a selection of cabins and then had to move quickly to secure reasonably priced flights and pre/post cruise accommodation. Whilst on another deal I just had to take whatever cabin was offered.

There are a number of factors to consider when looking at pack and go deals as well as the points covered above if you are still working arranging leave from your employer at the last minute which can be a pain in the bum.

With Princess it’s not often I see many pack and go deals and would be loath to book any later than 4 - 5 months out for fear of missing out on the trip I was interest in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

3 weeks for the diamond princess Japan cruise. Was a busy time organizing flights and accommodation as the 9 night cruise became a 3 week holiday.

Have done other locals out of australia with 2 weeks but they are easy to do now the kids have grown and the pets have died!!

Felt like we really needed a break, so had been watching a domestic P&O Eden cruise for a week or so before the sailing date. But we had a medical appointment and didn’t want to book the cruise in case of cancelling.

Medical ok, tried to book with P&O 3 days out but sold out.

Tried an online agent who was still advertising but received an email that they were unable to confirm.

Tried another online agent and received a phone call confirming the booking on the Saturday before we cruised on the Monday.

When we booked on the Friday, 3 days out, confirmed 2 days out, our payment must have been processed immediately.

But when we were boarding, as a late booking, we had no cruise cards ready at the check in desk. After checking we were issued temporary paper cards and then we were met at the ship’s security check in by reception with our cruise cards.

Handled very efficiently by P&O in that instance.

On the Eden again with extended family, anchored at Tangalooma but expecting storms this afternoon.

When we booked on the Friday, 3 days out, confirmed 2 days out, our payment must have been processed immediately.

But when we were boarding, as a late booking, we had no cruise cards ready at the check in desk. After checking we were issued temporary paper cards and then we were met at the ship’s security check in by reception with our cruise cards.

Handled very efficiently by P&O in that instance.

On the Eden again with extended family, anchored at Tangalooma but expecting storms this afternoon.

Wow, that is late.

I don't mind the Eden, nice ship. Hope you have a nice day anyway and enjoy the rest of the cruise.:D

On 1 December we booked a Christmas cruise which departs next week (18 December).

We have been regularly checking this cruise for a few months and it had been showing "sold out". Then suddenly 0ceanview cabins were available.

We managed to get a guaranteed Oceanview (OH) for approximately $300 pp less than what I had originally seen insides advertised for. Three days ago we received our cabin allocation and were upgraded to OB - very happy !!.

Just for interest sake I decided to check the cost of a similar cabin for next year's Christmas Cruise and it is currently being sold for approximately $3100 more.

Carnival were very quick confirming our shareholder benefit that time.

It was turned around in around 2 days but this was at the time that some people were waiting a week or so. The last couple of claims have been done inside of the 1 business day (few hours).:D

For us it’s always been months. I think our shortest was book August sail December, but then I have to make sure there is a gap in the diary if I’m working flat out, and it has to be in HER holidays.

Maybe if we ever retire we’ll start looking at last minute bookings.

How last minute have you grabbed an el cheapo cruise, packed your bags and gone?

Booked 30 Dec - Sailed 12 Jan - Ovation's 3rd cruise.

Courtesy of THIS SITE

(please i need some more of those deals.... though... I've just had my contract extended to the end of Jan.. so something around there would be nice ;p)

(it's a tad 'annoying' seeing the emails / FB pages of our various 'friends' with nice deals that I just can't get on at the moment)

I booked about a week or so out for a December cruise. Our son was going to be away so I stalked a few cruises and booked a 10 nighter for about 650pp when the prices suddenly dropped. I wouldn't be game to do that if we needed a triple or if it was important to us to go but we had just decided we would go if we could get a bargain.