Etiquette Question

klfrodo

Going on a European cruise this summer.

Have scheduled Chefs Table on the night of our 25th wedding anniversary.

Was thinking of ordering a bottle of Dom for an early toast.

I’m thinking it would be appropriate to share a glass with everyone at the table. The other thought is that it’s a bit ostentatious to do so.

Your thoughts?

I think it would be very gracious to share.

Also, if you do share, I think it will take more than a single bottle.

As usual, I'm with Bob on this one. I don't believe it would be over-the-top at all, unless you truly can't comfortably afford it.

Ellen

I’m thinking it would be appropriate to share a glass with everyone at the table. The other thought is that it’s a bit ostentatious to do so.

Your thoughts?

Keep in mind there is champagne served before the dinner and it is a wine pairing dinner; if you want to share a glass of champagne with everyone that is very nice but be prepared to have enough for 12 people.

I don't think it is ostentatious, but it is a bit overkill considering the drinks served w the dinner.

No one expects folks to share their wine...so if you offer, it will be an unexpected treat. Personally, I'd decline as I prefer my drink of choice...not a fan of champagne. You may find that others will decline as well....but maybe not!

No one expects folks to share their wine...so if you offer, it will be an unexpected treat. Personally, I'd decline as I prefer my drink of choice...not a fan of champagne. You may find that others will decline as well....but maybe not!

We are another two that would decline, but we are tea totallers, but would still join a toast to you

Your thoughts?

Try too find out who will be joining you for the meal and arrange a meet up before hand where you can then share a bottle.

Ostentatious at the thought of it, nice touch posting it here to get some extra mileage out of it.

Ostentatious? Hardly.

If it were a cake and not champagne would you say the same thing?

If the couple were celebrating their anniversary and ordered a celebratory cake to be shared with the table, would that also be ostentatious?

Some people actually enjoy being generous and including others in their celebrations. Just because it may not be how you would celebrate such an occasion doesn’t mean that you should criticize others for doing so.

I don't think that's true. I was with a tour group, having dinner in the restaurant on the eiffel tower. Dinner came with wine but a limited # of bottles. I asked the sommelier about ME purchasing a bottle of wine (about 100 Euros) and all of a sudden EVERYONE at the table was saying they would LOVE to have a glass of THAT wine! Since the sommelier said I could NOT take the remainder of the bottle with me ... I did not order it. But I would NOT have shared that wine with the table.

The poster brought up the "O" word and asked for our thoughts, I gave them mine. Maybe the need to mention "Dom" set me off, "nice wine" would have done it. Cake is good, I can deal with "cake" but it certainly doesn't do me like "Dom".

My thoughts ...

First don't feel obliged to share your wine. Offering a glass to everyone else on the table would be a really good gesture but be prepared for some to decline your offer. For some it will be a matter of taste or preference.

My experience of living in UK and having done quite a few European cruises is that splashing out on an expensive bottle of champagne is not a big deal.