Priest to serve mass onboard?

dcl1710

I accidentally posted this twice on the Alaska site. I understand that it is Princess policy not to offer services. But if a Priest is onboard and wants to serve, does Princess allow this to happen? Would it be in the Patters? Just want to ask. Has this happened to anyone on Princess?

I accidentally posted this twice on the Alaska site. I understand that it is Princess policy not to offer services. But if a Priest is onboard and wants to serve, does Princess allow this to happen? Would it be in the Patters? Just want to ask. Has this happened to anyone on Princess?

Yes, it will be in the Patter. Locations & times vary.

You don't mention which ship or itinerary you are on. If you happen to be calling on Juneau on Sunday, you can go to Mass at 11am at Nativity Cathedral, 416 Fifth Street

www.juneaucathedral.org/index.htm

This precludes taking the ship's excursions, but we were able to arrange a taxi to pick us up at the end of Mass and take us to Glacier Gardens Rainforest Adventures

http://www.glaciergardens.com/

which was a terrific and unusual place!

If there is a priest on board most time they will let him say mass. I did run into a time that the CD did not want it. I know for sure because we were traveling with a priest, who had all the proper ID (he was a HAL Chaplin) and the CD tried not to let him say mass. He finally gave in for a Sunday mass. Father was willing to do daily mass, but was not allowed. All the other times on Princess he was able to do mass.

If there is a priest on board most time they will let him say mass. I did run into a time that the CD did not want it. I know for sure because we were traveling with a priest, who had all the proper ID (he was a HAL Chaplin) and the CD tried not to let him say mass. He finally gave in for a Sunday mass. Father was willing to do daily mass, but was not allowed. All the other times on Princess he was able to do mass.

The chapel has always been vacant when I have passed it on our many cruises. So to not let a cleric with proper ID use it is unfathomable. The CD needs to be taken behind the woodshed and taught a lesson.

Yes, if a priest is onboard they will let him say mass, however, it has been my experience (we know a retired priest who has done it) Princess does not give him much help setting and they will take his collection money to give to the charity of their choice.

The chapel has always been vacant when I have passed it on our many cruises. So to not let a cleric with proper ID use it is unfathomable. The CD needs to be taken behind the woodshed and taught a lesson.

How we ended up getting mass was that a lot of other PAX saw Father's Roman collar and and came to ask if he was going to say mass. We (him, I and a another friend) told them the truth about why there was not going to be any mass. And they went to the front PAX services to complain. A lot of people went to the service desk. Finally the CD (Dan) gave in. Dan was no way helpful and was rude about it.

By the way, Father also work on Celebrity & HAL ships when they had priest. HAL still does have priests. He is doing well. The last time we traveled with him was three years ago. He is 98 years young and still says mass in his senior home.

I've been on ships that conducted Mass, if a fellow traveler who is a priest is onboard. I was also on a ship that had a Catholic prayer service (no communion) conducted by a traveling Deacon.

We were on the Emerald Princess and it was posted in the patter.

Tony

It is too bad there are no longer Priests on the ships. I really miss Mass, especially on the longer cruses. It is nice when a Priest is traveling on the ship.

WCC

If that is a very important issue for you, consider cruising on HAL where there is almost always a Priest aboard...who does hold daily Mass....with the cruise line's blessing (pun intended).

Hank

Thanks for the responses. We will be on Glacier Bay on Sunday so we cannot go to a church on land. We hope a Priest will be on board but will go to any church when at port. All is good.

If there is no priest, there will be a non-denominational service led by a member of the crew.

• 2 weeks later...
If there is no priest, there will be a non-denominational service led by a member of the crew.

Costa cruises always had a priest onboard & the chapel looks like a chapel, also had a priest on MSC.

complain. A lot of people went to the service desk. Finally the CD (Dan) gave in. Dan was no way helpful and was rude about it.

By the way, Father also work on Celebrity & HAL ships when they had priest. HAL still does have priests. He is doing well. The last time we traveled with him was three years ago. He is 98 years young and still says mass in his senior home.

Is that Dan Falconer? Quite a few CD with the name Dan have been on Princess over the years.

We had a Catholic priest on board Crown Princess for our two week cruise ending last Saturday. He said Mass every morning in the Hearts & Minds room and also had a 5 pm Mass on Sundays.

Its also very usual for them to say Mass for the crew late at night, so many Filipino crew in particular are Catholics. So nice for them to have that.