TV Show "Travel Guides" on a cruise

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:13 AM.
Sydney, Australia
84 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Has anybody been watching this show? Tomorrow night's ep they are on the Pacific Aria. I was on that cruise with some friends, so will be interesting to see how they portray the ship, and how the 'characters' are in comparison to what we saw them being (or acting )
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Spirit - 30 April 2014 (10 nights South Pacific)
Dawn Princess - 22 March 2015 (2 nights Melb to Syd)
Pacific Aria - 26 April 2016 (9 nights South Pacific)
Pacific Pearl - 2 September 2016 (4 nights Mooloolaba)
Carnival Spirit - 26 April 2016 (10 nights South Pacific)
Australia
178 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
I have been watching it and am really looking forward to tonight's cruise episode. Will be very interested to hear your thoughts on it MadWoofter, there are certainly some interesting characters among the guides I'd love to hear how close they are to their real life personas!

Penny
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
January 2017 Princess Sea Princess - Brisbane to Sydney
April 2016 MSC Splendida - Brazil to Germany
March 2015 Celebrity Century - Singapore to Dubai
January 2015 Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas Sampler
April 2014 Carnival Inspiration- Mexican Riviera
September 2012 Carnival Spirit - Honolulu to Sydney
March 2011 Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas - Mediterranean
January 2010 Holland America Volendam - South Pacific
January 2009 Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas -Tasmania
Australia
178 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
In NSW it's Tuesdays at 9pm on Nine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
January 2017 Princess Sea Princess - Brisbane to Sydney
April 2016 MSC Splendida - Brazil to Germany
March 2015 Celebrity Century - Singapore to Dubai
January 2015 Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas Sampler
April 2014 Carnival Inspiration- Mexican Riviera
September 2012 Carnival Spirit - Honolulu to Sydney
March 2011 Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas - Mediterranean
January 2010 Holland America Volendam - South Pacific
January 2009 Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas -Tasmania
I come from a land down under
23,453 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by PJOZ
In NSW it's Tuesdays at 9pm on Nine.
Thanks I'll try and remember to have a look at it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rural NSW Australia
425 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
I've caught the ones in Tokyo and Nha Trang (or some other Asian beach resort) and enjoyed them.
Certainly a diverse range of groups of people.
Thanks for the heads up on tonights episode.
I'll go and set to record so I don't miss it.
596 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
The episodes so far have been interesting with the broad spread of personalities chosen. It will be interesting to see what type of accommodation they set them up with ie internal, balcony suite etc
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email us
Canberra, Australia
2,953 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
I must admit I haven't been watching this, as the first one I turned on was truly cringe-worthy. The program seems to promote the type of traveller who I spend a lot of time trying to avoid. Think I will pass on the cruise episode
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed on:
Superstar Virgo - Singapore, Avalon Tapestry - Rhine River - 2007, Azamara Quest - Western Mediterranean - 2008, Viking Sun - China - 2009, Silversea Explorer - Svalbard, Arctic - 2010, Celebrity Infinity - Round the Horn, South America - 2011, QM2 - Australia - 2012, Dawn Princess - Australia - 2012, Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos Islands - 2012, Radiance of the Seas - Australia - 2012, Celebrity Solstice - Australia - 2012, Celebrity Solstice - New Zealand - 2013, Radiance of the Seas - Queensland - 2013, P & O Arcadia - 2014, QM2 - World cruise sector - 2014 , Golden Princess - Australia - 2015, Mariner of the Seas - Asia - 2016, Sun Princess - 2016, Golden Princess - NZ positioning - 2016
Rovos Rail and South African safari in September 2015 - all on land - and it was fabulous

On the list:
Antarctica
Baltic
Eastern Mediterranean

Canberra Australia
38,823 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by Aussieflyer
I must admit I haven't been watching this, as the first one I turned on was truly cringe-worthy. The program seems to promote the type of traveller who I spend a lot of time trying to avoid. Think I will pass on the cruise episode
Agreed, there are more worthwhile shows to view or things to do than watch these characters go through their assessments of very subjective things during their travelling.
Yulara, NT Australia
834 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
I absolutely despise the show. It was an absolute disgrace seeing Australians embarrass us on the world stage with their disgusting and racist antics towards the Japanese. The show was cringeworthy and you could clearly see the visibly uncomfortable locals in Japan that suffered from their childish behaviour. Examples include that dumb woman shaking hands with a hotel receptionist and then commenting on the size of her small hands. Who the hell does that!!!! The woman who did that would have to have serious mental health problems to be behaving like that in public without any regard as to how the person is feeling that she was patronising. Even more bizarre is who on earth shakes hands with a hotel receptionist. It is not formal and is totally disrespectful in Japan. Their culture does not shake hands, they bow.

In my opinion the show was nothing more than a disgusting display of bogans and common trash damaging our international reputation by continued racist and childish behaviour all for cheap slapstick television. I was absolutely disgusted with the show and totally ashamed to be Australian watching how these pieces of trash behaved. It was cringeworthy and screwed up beyond any possible chance of repair. The first episode was enough for me to deem this trash television fit for being flushed completely down the toilet.

Rant over. Disgusting show.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
30 Cruises and counting...
Sydney, Australia
7,662 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Watching now, balcony cabins and towel animals. The cabins look nice.
The guides are an "interesting" bunch.
They run into a storm, it looks pretty wild.
Some of them go to play bingo.
The first port is the Isle of Pines. Nice promo for them but mostly for the turtle excursion.
They dine in Angelos and Dragon Lady. Some of the guides haven't had a dining experience like that.
One couple, frequent floaters, aren't happy with anything.
Another couple, sort of hippyish, get into the swing of things and really seem to be enjoying all the experiences.
Lots of people seemed to get into the spirit of the Gatsby party
Next port stop is Lifou. They do a cultural tour including trying local food. Some of them aren't impressed.
Final port stop is at Mystery Island. Some of them went snorkelling. Oh dear!
Most of them enjoyed the cruise more than they expected.
The Frequent Floaters think it would be a good cruise for first time cruisers.

I didn't think it was the greatest advert for cruising, at least the style of cruising I like. I think I'll pass!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

and Sea Princess Hawaii, Tahiti and South Pacific cruise in August 2019

Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean
Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Sydney, Australia
7,662 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by MicCanberra
LOL, just flicked across for a few minutes, cringe worthy is being polite for this show.
I couldn't believe some of the things some of those people said on camera.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sydney, Australia
7,662 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Not a show I'd ever bother watching again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Australia
1,280 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Laughed out loud that many times. That family with the son and daughter, I reckon they have a career on TV if they want it. They'd be a hoot on googlebox.
Brisbane
382 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Originally posted by OzKiwiJJ
Not a show I'd ever bother watching again.
Nor me.

This show is full of morons or else people in training to be morons. If I came across any of these folks while on board, I'd be running away as fast as my legs would carry me.

I'm assuming that it is all a put up job, because (I hope) nobody is that pig ignorant.

That said, while the Aria is quite a nice ship, I would only sail on her again if the price was right.
113 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Had a few laughs, it was ok. Those people were... interesting. Can't say I want to come across many of them either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Brisbane, Australia
796 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by Brisbane41
I absolutely despise the show. It was an absolute disgrace seeing Australians embarrass us on the world stage with their disgusting and racist antics towards the Japanese. The show was cringeworthy and you could clearly see the visibly uncomfortable locals in Japan that suffered from their childish behaviour. Examples include that dumb woman shaking hands with a hotel receptionist and then commenting on the size of her small hands. Who the hell does that!!!! The woman who did that would have to have serious mental health problems to be behaving like that in public without any regard as to how the person is feeling that she was patronising. Even more bizarre is who on earth shakes hands with a hotel receptionist. It is not formal and is totally disrespectful in Japan. Their culture does not shake hands, they bow.

In my opinion the show was nothing more than a disgusting display of bogans and common trash damaging our international reputation by continued racist and childish behaviour all for cheap slapstick television. I was absolutely disgusted with the show and totally ashamed to be Australian watching how these pieces of trash behaved. It was cringeworthy and screwed up beyond any possible chance of repair. The first episode was enough for me to deem this trash television fit for being flushed completely down the toilet.

Rant over. Disgusting show.
Looking for the like button. Totally agree, this must be an act no one is that ignorant. Are they?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2005, P&O, Pacific Sun, South Pacific Islands
2006, P&O, Pacific Sun, South Pacific Islands
2007, Celebrity Summit, Alaska
2008 P&O, Pacific Sun, New Zealand and Pacific Islands
2008 Celebrity Millenium New Zealand
2009 Dawn Princess, Sydney to Southampton
2010 Pacific Dawn - North Queensland
2010 Pacific Sun - comedy cruise
2010 Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
2011 Celebrity Infinity - South America & Antarctica
2011 P&O Sun, Fremantle to Sydney
2012 Pacific Dawn - South Pacific
2013 Diamond Princess, Beijing to Bangkok
2013 Pacific Pearl South Pacific
2014 MSC Orchestra and Preziosa - Mediterranean
2014 Sea Princess - Papua New Guinea
2015 RCI Mariner of the Seas - South East Asia
2015 Victoria Lianna - Yangtze River Cruise
2015 Diamond Princess Japanese Cruise
2016 Regal Princess - Baltics
2017 Voyager of the Seas - Hong Kong to Singapore
2018 Carnival Legend Hobart and Port Arthur
2018 CMV Columbus - Singapore to London
Canberra Australia
38,823 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Someone just told me it is the same people (groups) on every show going on different holidays and having differing places and experiences. IMO, that makes the show even worse, must be a put up job catering for the lowest category of viewer. Certainly not my idea of entertainment.