Congee in Buffet?

jlowe420

GF nagging me to ask you guys if congee is available daily in the buffet and is common on all ships? Is it only for breakfast or for other meals too?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my recent cruise on the 'GEM', congee was available in the 'Garden Cafe' at breakfast! :D

We saw plain congee in the morning buffet on the Gem earlier this year and recently on the Breakaway. Seemed to be a welcoming comfort food for some of those cruising.

Maybe someone can speak to the Escape since you are sailing on that ship next month. Your GF can then get creative by adding your own chopped eggs, peanuts, minced pork, etc. ;p

I had to google congee since I'd never heard of it.

"Rice porridge" or "gruel". Yes, I've seen gruel in the buffet -- watery oatmeal to me. :D

You might be speaking of the Muesli, which is made from oatmeal, yogurt and fruit. It's delicious, btw. :) But it's not made of rice.

"Rice porridge" or "gruel". Yes, I've seen gruel in the buffet -- watery oatmeal to me. :D

It's rice porridge. Not sure why Chinese restaurants often use the term "congee" though.

It's rice porridge. Not sure why Chinese restaurants often use the term "congee" though.

I can't say I've ever seen congee at the buffet, being a rice porridge. The other poster did speak of an oatmeal gruel though, and if it has oatmeal it's muesli. (No, not the dry boxed cereal you see in stores.)

The muesli is delicious, IMO. I get it every morning when we're cruising.

Now you've got me wondering. I'm not satisfied with Wikipedia's answer as they say the only part of China that actually uses the word "congee" is Guangdong, but Guangdong generally speaks Cantonese and later on in the Wiki article, it says that it's called "juk" in Cantonese. Congee sounds like an English pronunciation of a Chinese word anyways.

In any case, congee and miso soup sound like something I'm going to be looking for on my Alaskan cruise. Thanks for the suggestion.

Based on my recent cruise on the 'GEM', I enjoyed the oatmeal porridge at several breakfasts in the 'Garden Cafe & did not find it 'watery' at all! (I am quite fussy about oatmeal porridge)! :D

Now if one really desires 'watery' oatmeal porridge at their breakfast, one should consider cruising with HAL, where you may enjoy all the 'watery' oatmeal that one may wish to ingest in the 'Lido'! ;)

Now you've got me wondering. I'm not satisfied with Wikipedia's answer as they say the only part of China that actually uses the word "congee" is Guangdong, but Guangdong generally speaks Cantonese and later on in the Wiki article, it says that it's called "juk" in Cantonese. Congee sounds like an English pronunciation of a Chinese word anyways.

In any case, congee and miso soup sound like something I'm going to be looking for on my Alaskan cruise. Thanks for the suggestion.

Congee is the English word for “Juk” in Cantonese.

It’s great! You can add almost anything to it, and have it really complicated or super simple.

Most cruise lines I’ve noticed have just plain congee out. But if you can find soy sauce or some green onions to add to it. [emoji1362]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Probably will be the MAIN ATTRACTION for breakfast on the NCL JOY.

Other than that the American fare is bacon eggs hash brown potatoes

and everything else on the buffet is just overlooked.

While I have never had Congee and would not know what it looked like

or where to look for it at the buffet it is no doubt something that the Asian

taste buds hanker for like some folks like grits and a bunch of other

assorted breakfast taste items unique to their diet.

Must drive the NCL bean counters bonkers to have the variety of foods

available for the world general public.

NCL has wine tasting events and martini also - maybe they should have

a breakfast tasting event to advance the breakfast tasting culture.

Oatmeal - porridge - cream of wheat - grits - musesli - gruel - & - Congee !

Wonder what preference Goldilocks and the -3- bears would prefer ! LOL !

Something for everyone a breakfast delight this morning !

Well, I'm sure the bean counters would actually be happy to place oatmeal, porridge, cream of wheat, grits, museli, gruel, and congee all together on the buffet line. That's quite a bit of counterspace for incredibly cheap food. Congee is even cheaper than rice, as there's more water and less rice.

They can dial back the proteins and fresh fruits saving money.

Both times I sailed the Jewel there was congee every morning in the buffet. It's in the Asian section, not the oatmeal section, and has a variety of delicious savory things to add in like green onions, pork, etc. There was also absolutely incredible Indian breakfast foods, my favorite was a mild potato curry with mustard seeds and I would add the congee accompaniments to it. So goooood. I am not Asian but I thought the Asian section was the highlight of the buffet. While it's been awhile, I think it's very unlikely NCL has removed it as it's important to accomodate Asian customers.

Well, I'm sure the bean counters would actually be happy to place oatmeal, porridge, cream of wheat, grits, museli, gruel, and congee all together on the buffet line. That's quite a bit of counterspace for incredibly cheap food. Congee is even cheaper than rice, as there's more water and less rice.

They can dial back the proteins and fresh fruits saving money.

Actually, on the Spirit last week, they had oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits, and hot milk in one station, meusli at another, and congee at a third. So, to answer the OP's original question, yes, they have it on the buffet for breakfast--not sure about other meals. If it's not with the oatmeal, look elsewhere or ask about it.

--Michael