Curious..are u really into Elegant night?

Kato27

Nobody is asking anyone to dress like a queen going to the ball! Just don't come looking like you slept on a park bench. A nice pair of slacks and a dress you would wear if going to a restaurant at home that doesn't allow casual wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree diva, it really is that simple....but alas, the contrarians will proclaim "It is MY vacation and if I want to show up any night, especially elegant evening, looking like I slept on a park bench, then I should be able to do it. It's about me and what I want" (hands clenched in a fist and stamp feet for effect) [emoji849]

Agree diva, it really is that simple....but alas, the contrarians will proclaim "It is MY vacation and if I want to show up any night, especially elegant evening, looking like I slept on a park bench, then I should be able to do it. It's about me and what I want" (hands clenched in a fist and stamp feet for effect) [emoji849]

On my cruise last week so many people in line who dressed correctly kept pointing and snarking on people who may have been better dressed if they wore one of those carnival robe instead of sweaty clothes they sat by the pool in all day.

On my cruise last week so many people in line who dressed correctly kept pointing and snarking on people who may have been better dressed if they wore one of those carnival robe instead of sweaty clothes they sat by the pool in all day.

I try to understand the mindset, but it escapes me....What possesses a person with even a shred of common sense to find out it's 10 mins before their MDR seating to roll off their lounge chair, smelling of chlorine, sweat and suntan lotion and say to themselves "Who needs a shower, I can go to dinner in the MDR like this" 🤤

Edited by First and Ten

I did not read all the posts. But I think CCL has a good approach. Leave it as is. Most dress up somewhat and the others get to do what they want. It all works out. Those who are extremely unhappy move to another line either more or less formal. But Carnival survives as the Fun Ship.

Our upcoming cruise is also our 25th anniversary so as we don't get to dress up often we will for the first elegant night and the next night for our actually anniversary just to make it a bit more special for us.

I`m just curious to see how many people actully enjoy having to dress up for dinner on elegant night while on a cruise.

I did dress up on my first cruise last summer for both nights. I

will do it again this time around also.

But...if i had the choice i would much rather not have to,i wear enough suits while i`m not on vacation.

While on vacation i would prefer to just be able to dress casual, so i could do without it.

What about u? Enjoy it, or could u do without elegant night?

I understand that u can just eat at the buffet if u wanted to, but let`s say that`s not an option.:)

I wore a more casual dress (sundresses) every night to dinner but then glammed it up for EN. I NEVER get to do anything fancy except my work Christmas party so I was all about it. My husband would go in shorts if I would let him but for dinner he had to dress nicely...Dockers and a Polo then for EN he had to wear a button up shirt.

On our first cruise we all did the dress up thing. It was fun. But now, we really aren't that into it, especially if we are flying to our port - there's a lot of extra stuff to pack. We get a little dressier but nothing like we did with the gown and heels for me and the suits for my husband and son. Nice slacks and a button down shirt works for them.

I just don't get it ... folks who sail CCL regularly have posted over and over again how lax the requirements are for the "formal night" which hasn't been "formal" for years.

There are those who take the "defiant" stand that they are NOT packing suits, ties, formals and dress shoes ..... and I'm not sure where the need for such adamant defiance comes from since none of those things are required by CCL. A dining room crowd from "formal night" on CCL would fit nicely into the crowd at a Red Lobster.:rolleyes:

NO, a carnival dining room crowd on elegant night would fit nicely in any New Orleans higher end bistro.

We like the food in MDR on Elegant Nights.....but have been dressing 'down' as of late. No more gowns, suits, tuxes....just nicer/dressier slacks tops/shirts for us. We, too, fly in to ports.....it's another way of bringing less and lighter luggage...we try to fit in one suitcase each these days with a 50 lb limit (including weighty toiletries etc).....sorry, no heavy suits/shoes/gowns any more for us!

That is wonderful that your dad was "complimented," and I'm sure it perked him up, which it does me. :)

I KNOW I'm going to be blasted by a lot of people on here, of what I'm going to say. As I stated earlier, I am 74, but most people think I look about 5 - 10 years younger, and normally I FEEL that way too. :) Maybe the reason I like to dress up, I just retired from a very large corporate office (Frito-lay, Borden, Star Bucks, etc.) as their receptionist, and being at the front desk, I was used to dressing nice. To me, now remember, this is just ME talking, I feel a lot of people are lazy, and don't want to dress up!!! Yes, cruising is for R & R, and I don't dress up when I'm doing my R & R, but when I got to a nice dinner, I like too. :)

That is wonderful that your dad was "complimented," and I'm sure it perked him up, which it does me. :)

I KNOW I'm going to be blasted by a lot of people on here, of what I'm going to say. As I stated earlier, I am 74, but most people think I look about 5 - 10 years younger, and normally I FEEL that way too. :) Maybe the reason I like to dress up, I just retired from a very large corporate office (Frito-lay, Borden, Star Bucks, etc.) as their receptionist, and being at the front desk, I was used to dressing nice. To me, now remember, this is just ME talking, I feel a lot of people are lazy, and don't want to dress up!!! Yes, cruising is for R & R, and I don't dress up when I'm doing my R & R, but when I got to a nice dinner, I like too. :)

I agree with your assessment that the people that dont dress appropriately are lazy in that aspect

I enjoy Elegant Night. I dress up for every evening. Before our cruise I decide the colors to be worn and go out buy a golf shirt best meeting our plan. Sometimes I will change it up a bit a buy a new tropical shirt. I Love dressing up for Elegant Night!

I can't stand dressing up so I would vote for Elegant nights to be a thing of the past. My husband and I wear work type clothes on the non-elegant nights and we dress up just a little more for elegant night with him in dress pants and a collared shirt and me in black pants and a top. I would never buy something new to wear once on a cruise.

I love the elegant nights. We don't have a lot of chances to dress up like we do on elegant nights on the cruise. My hubby would prefer jeans and nice shirt, but on elegant nights he wears a suit, with or without a jacket. I am thankful that he is willing to dress up a bit on elegant nights.

• 2 months later...

Both my husband and I prefer to get dressed for dinner, even on non formal nights. He does not wear a tux, but a nice suit for formal night and a generally a sports jacket the other nights. Yes - we love it :)and it seems to add to the experience of a nice dinner.