Help - Any advice? Broke my Ankle Today 2 Weeks From Sailing!

cheaperts

Assuming Dr. clears me to go ahead and go, anyone had or traveled with someone on a knee scooter? So mad at myself, if Im not cleared then we have travel insurance, but if cleared we will go, just wondering what I can even do with a boot and a scooter, Star out of LA to Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta fyi.

So sorry to hear this, and hope you are well soon.

In Mazatlan, you can hire one of the famous pulmonias (sort of like a golf cart taxi) to drive you around the old and new cities for a couple of hours, then have a wonderful lunch back in the old part of town. I'd recommend this even if you didn't have a broken ankle! (If you are able to get yourself into the Cathedral in the old city, it's worth it.)

I hope you are cleared to go, and have a great cruise!

My husband was an amputee and we travelled with his scooter. I would suggest that if you go to a beach and you have a boot (hope so) that you take some sort of waterproof covering. Go on the beach or whatever and relax. Get pampered by everyone and enjoy. Have a wonderful journey. Enjoy!

cant see ortho till mon or tues, Im sure if I need surgery that means not going. But if not just wondering what to do other than sit on the ship and drink! And we don't even have UBP so that's gonna get pricey! I know Cabo is a tender port, not sure how that would go, can't remember if Puerto V and Mazatlan tender?

what were you planning on doing in the ports before you broke your ankle? Since you thankfully have insurance, you can cancel and reschedule if you aren’t physically able to do what you want. It is true that people travel with scooters, but if you expect to be physically well soon and have insurance you should take this trip when you can participate in whatever it is you wanted to do. But it’s possible you will be able to participate in your planned excursions - just let us know what they are and people can probably help you determine if they are accessible.

There’s also a chance that your ankle will fall in a grey area in terms of trip cancellation. You should also think about whether or not you want to cancel since the doctors might leave that choice up to you if you don’t need surgery (if you are physically well enough to go but can’t enjoy it they’d probably be willing to write you a note for your travel insurance stating that you shouldn’t go).

That is the direction where the leaning canceling if possible as far as our plans in the ports we were going to be riding horses in Mazatlan that can't happen beach in Cabo don't know how I get in the ocean and no particular plan yet for Porta but even on board how can I use the pool?

That is the direction where the leaning canceling if possible as far as our plans in the ports we were going to be riding horses in Mazatlan that can't happen beach in Cabo don't know how I get in the ocean and no particular plan yet for Porta but even on board how can I use the pool?

LOL...yea, you don't want to be around beaches and water with a cast.

Assuming Dr. clears me to go ahead and go, anyone had or traveled with someone on a knee scooter? So mad at myself, if Im not cleared then we have travel insurance, but if cleared we will go, just wondering what I can even do with a boot and a scooter, Star out of LA to Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta fyi.

you might be surprised how well you can handle it. I know how you are feeling: many years ago I broke my foot about 5 minutes after arriving in St Marten for a week's land vacation. Of course I couldn't do as much as I had hoped, but I was able to do some excursions and learned to appreciate the relaxation most of us do not take advantage of. I did a lot of sitting watching the world go by. one thing you will want to do for sure is take advantage of the wheel chair assistance when boarding the ship. Walking up the ramp would be a pain using the boot and the knee scooter.

Tendering might be a real challenge,but otherwise you would be surprised how many people using walkers, crutches, scooters, etc cruise and they do fine.

Please keep us posted. I am sure you will. good luck

So sorry that you came up lame. Personally for me, if the insurance covered it I would cancel. I've been there done that and it's not fun. I would reschedule when I was whole again.

Hope you feel better.

Agreed! Been there, done that. It's no fun.

I'm always surprised at how much walking we do on a cruise ship. And with the crowds it isn't easy walking.

I broke my leg a couple of weeks before my trip to the Mexican Riviera. I was fortunate to be in a walking boot and not a wheelchair or scooter. Surprisingly, I was able to to all of my planned excursion--las caletas, salsa and salsa dancing (in Matzalan) and whale watching in Cabo. Personnel on the ship were great and helpful--just be sure to ask for assistance.

I found that some of my fellow cruises were not so considerate of my limited mobility though--certainly gave me a new perspective on people with permanent issues. A number of times I had to ask people to let me get by--off elevators, through doorways, etc. uh, hello, can you see my boot?!?! My companion one time had to ask a woman to vacate a handicap area for my use.....

My advice if you do go is to make sure to bring your sense of humor (every day tasks will get comically difficult!) and patience. I found it took me twice as long to get things done. I'm glad I went--had a fantastic time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Recently cruised the Breakaway with a broken foot in a boot....no issues....was able to remove to go in ocean but we never made it to the private island....also saw another women who had just broken her foot before thecruise and she was zipping around with her knee scooter. The staff and crew are always willing to assist so as long as cleared by your doctor, I would go and enjoy as much as possible....good luck...contact cruise line if you may need a wheelchair so that can be arranged ahead of time...

We error on being overly conservative.

Get a wheelchair push in the terminal and up into the ship. Don’t struggle, ride.

Rent a battery powered scooter for use on ship and potentially shore (a knee scooter is ok on solid floors but sometimes exhausting on miles of carpeted surfaces on a ship).

At least one of your ports will be a tender port. Use knee scooter there.

Get the ship’s crew to help you up gangways, etc

See if they can put you in an accessible room. Trying to bath in a tiny shower and keeping the foot dry would be a challenge.

Anyone have the name of the company that rents power scooters for cruises, knee scooter is not going well, I have one bad/weak leg, and broke the good one. If we can go Im going need the power scooter

Anyone have the name of the company that rents power scooters for cruises, knee scooter is not going well, I have one bad/weak leg, and broke the good one. If we can go Im going need the power scooter

We use SpecialNeedsatSea to rent power scooters for my dad and have had only good experiences with them. Make sure to call NCL too, most scooters will fit through the door but you might want to see if there are any accessible rooms that you can change to. My parents usually get suites so space is not an issue with them :)

I decided to break my ankle years ago, it did require 2 surgeries but I was able to go without a cast. Hopefully no surgeries for you as well as no cast :) I just had the boot which made it easier to get around and in and out of tubs.

www.specialneedsatsea.com

I would go for a regular 3 wheeled scooter.

If you are round trip LA, search for scooter rentals in that city. Check prices for delivering it to you at your hotel and picking it up after your cruise. I have done that twice and was able to get a much better price than Special Needs At Sea.

The advantage of Special Needs is that the scooter is in your cabin when you embark and you just leave it in your cabin.

Four years ago 2 weeks prior to my cruise I was in an accident & fractured my knee & was in a full leg cast ....my first words to the ER doctor was can I still go on my cruise ? I went & still had a great time, never used a scooter or wheelchair just hopped around the ports on my crutches. The staff on the ship were fantastic i.e. at meals they always asked me if I wanted a chair to rest my leg on....airport no waits in security line

I would sadly cancel and rebook for 6-8 weeks later. I broke my foot and had a boot. It isn't fun getting up and moving at home, let alone on a cruise. It sucks now, but you will be glad you waited.

If possible, I would reschedule the cruise. Sure, it's doable, but will it be as enjoyable for you as it would after you are healed? Probably not. As long as you're spending the money, you'll want to get the most out of it.

Oh no!

My husband broke his ankle, but 7 weeks out. He goes for another x-ray tomorrow and hopefully will be walking with a boot cast by cruise time (2 weeks).

He has an iWalk knee walker - works fairly well. He can manage stairs and cruise around the house (winter, so hasn't been outside much because of snow and ice).

Not sure if this would work as I see your unbroken leg isn't very good? But may be worth a look.

Good luck and I hope you can enjoy your cruise!