Aaargh

Kitt Grey

Yes- I’m Aus too and when I read this I thought to myself-‘how can a boss deny you time off if it is in writing?’ I would definitely be taking this higher, probably to the union. This is definitely a case of ‘unfair working conditions.’ We’re very lucky here, more annual leave as well as long service leave. I feel for the OP as I don’t think it is acceptable what the boss has done. Approving leave, then denying it is just not on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No union and the hospital pulls out the patient safety line if we protest.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Forums mobile app

I had a coworker who had been with the company for over 30 years. Since we always get Christmas through New Years as paid holiday, he would save his vacation all year and would then “have to” take off Thanksgiving to Christmas to burn down his time to the maximum allowable carry over. :')

This is just a venting post but I am so frustrated right now. Ove a year and a half ago I got the okay from my boss in writing to take a longer than normal vacation. Our max time off is usually two week off at a time.

Before booking my B2B Med and transatlantic I discussed it with her and got approval. Now with it coming up in 126 day I am being told I might not get the time off. They won't know until 60 days out or so. I have explained to them about the cancelation policy etc. but no change in their time line.

I am someone who likes to plan hence the discussing the time off with the boss, early booking to get the room I wanted , researching the stops planning excursions etc. Now because others don't plan ahead I may get denied vacation.

Chances are with a little work I can get a coworker to help cover some of it and will go but I HATE uncertainty.

Rant over. Thanks for reading

Not very nice.

Not sure how it works there but if you have it in writing multiple times discussing booking some thing then they would have to honour it? I’m a people leader, once I approve it, it’s approved and especially when things are booked. This why we have fair work Australia.

Can you not reach out to your HR dept to get advice that this has been approved?

If this ever happened to me I’d take the holdsy and clear my desk.

Very unfair for you, hope you seek higher management or HR advice. I’d keep going higher and higher until resolved.

Let us know how you get on, fingers and toes!

It depends on the state. My state is a “right to work” state, which is a misnomer in that it really amounts to “we can fire you for any reason” state.

Ummm, yeah, that's a big NO. I asked for time off two years ago to do a 10-year anniversary repeat of our original B2B Med and Transatlantic cruises. It required I take 20 days off. I had done 30 days three times in the past, so thought this would be no problem -- but deliberately bought travel insurance with the work reasons coverage anyway and paid a nice hefty price. When my work denied my ability to go and refused to budge, I contacted the insurance and they refused to pay! We went back and forth for months, but to no avail. So I not only lost the extra monies I paid for that coverage, but they wouldn't honor it when it came into play. Their excuse: you knew you might not get guaranteed approval?!? How do they know that? Very bizarre and I guess they will find a way to wiggle out of it if they don't want to pay. :mad:
As my post says, "covered for work reasons" means if previously approved vacation time is later denied it would be a covered expense. Sounds like you just assumed it would be approved but never in fact got the vacation time approved. Big difference.

Likewise, I hope everything works out.

However, for the replies mentioning trip insurance...it seems like all of the policies I’ve seen cover “emergencies” and wouldn’t cover circumstances described by the OP. Am I looking for trip insurance in the wrong place?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR), which I was told (possibly incorrectly) that my CFAR would cover me if I just change my mind and cancel. Within the timeframe they stipulate.

No union and the hospital pulls out the patient safety line if we protest.

One person going on vacation should not make a hospital unsafe; if it does, they need to be reported to JCAH and the government.

This is poor leadership and management; vacation is part of your compensation package which you are entitled to take when you want, not when they think it is OK. You are not a slave, you are a professional. I would run it by legal.

Also, hospitals use temp workers all of the time to cover staffing.

One person going on vacation should not make a hospital unsafe; if it does, they need to be reported to JCAH and the government.

This is poor leadership and management; vacation is part of your compensation package which you are entitled to take when you want, not when they think it is OK. You are not a slave, you are a professional. I would run it by legal.

Except if multiple other staff already are approved for that same time off. I work in health care and have to deny vacation requests all the time. You can’t let everyone take the same time off. You have to be able to staff the building. We have a policy: Do not book any vacation plans until your request has been approved.

Except if multiple other staff already are approved for that same time off. I work in health care and have to deny vacation requests all the time. You can’t let everyone take the same time off. You have to be able to staff the building. We have a policy: Do not book any vacation plans until your request has been approved.

I work in healthcare (hospital RN, management) so I know what you are talking about, however she asked a year and a half in advance. It is highly unlikely that there are already multiple staff already approved. Something isn't right here.

It is a poor and unfair labor policy to make employees wait and see if they get approval, such a short time before the actual vacation. Poor management/leadership with little respect for their employee's work life balance.

I work in healthcare (hospital RN, management) so I know what you are talking about, however she asked a year and a half in advance. It is highly unlikely that there are already multiple staff already approved. Something isn't right here.

It is a poor and unfair labor policy to make employees wait and see if they get approval, such a short time before the actual vacation. Poor management/leadership with little respect for their employee's work life balance.

The big problem my scheduler is having is only 5 of us on the unit can scrub emergent cases and we have to cover 24/7 for emergencies.

They think we have cobbled together coverage but I will be working the three nights before I fly out. Guess i will sleep on the plane.

• 3 weeks later...
Received written confirmation I will be able to take vacation but will be working extended hours right up to it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am a nurse too, and have been a manager, so I understand staffing issues. However I would be looking for another job. Life is too short. I could not work like that. Too much stress even with travel insurance! You want your vacation! It caused me anxiety just reading about your situation. I am so glad you can go! Enjoy your cruise!!

Edited by Seminole1975

I will say I have some fantastic coworkers who are willing to adjust scheduling to help make this possible.

I work as a night surgical technician in obstetrics and we must have a team on at all times. That’s why I gave so much advanced notice of vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/

Received written confirmation I will be able to take vacation but will be working extended hours right up to it.

Good and since your vacation is vacation days...then they will be paying you overtime if those "extended hours" go over your pay period hours

Hospitals I consult at is anything over 40 hours equals o/t

Edited by maggie cruises

I am a nurse too, and have been a manager, so I understand staffing issues. However I would be looking for another job. Life is too short. I could not work like that. Too much stress even with travel insurance! You want your vacation! It caused me anxiety just reading about your situation. I am so glad you can go! Enjoy your cruise!!

Absolutely!!! Unless you live in a remote outpost where the nearest other nursing job is hours away...or you are approaching retirement or vesting or whatever is so incredible that you can't give it up...I'd be looking for a new job

A hospital i consult at is great pay and fairly understanding management but its 13 ...12 hour shifts a month....that easily turn into 14 hour shifts....that are paid o/t depending on why you stayed late...non union...

However, most nurses treated very well so no real issues but my point is that within a 10 mile radius there are hospitals that only require 12 shifts a month and pay better...that's just one example but there are so many places for a nurse or a tech to work in my area it's mind boggling Fwiw nurses at this hospital who are treated well still leave for greener pastures quite successfully

If benefits aren't at issue then any nurse etc treated poorly in my area can and should just walk away with no job worries

Good nurses are in high demand

Edited by maggie cruises

Her request was approved a long time ago. Any other employee who requests the time off that will interfere with her time off are the ones to be denied not her

Imho this hospital just ruined a good thing with this employee...who was pre approved way in advance...then told close to last minute she might not get the time off because others who requested it after her might get it off instead

If it were me I'd never be the same employee as before

Patients wouldn't suffer of course but my manager would especially when I handed in my resignation

26 years ago the best thing I ever did was quit a job after they gave me the day off to go to my real estate closing which was the day before thanksgiving and we weren't allowed to take the day before a holiday off (non medical job btw) and they told me I had to get a note signed by the attorney proving I was there.

I was with the company 8 years and took a total of 2 sick days and received glowing reviews all the time from the college students I taught at this school. I was a high demand teacher and students were clamoring to get into my classes. Oh and I actually taught a real estate management class at that time to boot

I was never asked for the note but I did get one

I waited until the perfect time to quit that yup put administration in a bind gave my notice and never looked back

They lost a great teacher over nonsense

I moved on to have an incredible family that I actually raised

Then moved into high level management consulting...in various industries..including hospitals and colleges.

Quitting that job was the best thing I ever did

Edited by maggie cruises

Thank you for the update, I am so glad that you will be able to take your cruise. Sorry that you will have to be working right up until the last moment, you will certainly be ready for your break by the time you go!

It depends on the state. My state is a “right to work” state, which is a misnomer in that it really amounts to “we can fire you for any reason” state.

FYI..

According to the Legal Defense Foundation,

right-to-work

laws prohibit union security agreements, or agreements between employers and labor unions, that govern the extent to which an established union can require employees' membership, payment of union dues, or fees as a condition of employment.

Every job carries the risk of being fired at any time for any reason.