Maasdam to return to Port Alberni BC, Canada in 2019.

Alphen

From theport authority of Port Alberni;

PORT ALBERNI TO HOST CRUISE SHIPS AGAIN IN 2019

The Port Alberni Port Authority (PAPA) and West Coast Agencies is proud to announce the return of cruise ships to Port Alberni in 2019. Currently, Holland America Line (HAL Ms Maasdam) is scheduled to return to Port Alberni May 25, June 15 and July 6 of 2019. Port Alberni last hosted a cruise ship in May 2013; also a HALvessel.

While feedback from passengers, crew and the company itself was extremely positive about their experience with Port Alberni market conditions did not allow for a return since then. However, the Port, in partnership with the City of Port Alberni, remained connected to the company and within the industry to keep our community known as welcoming and a great cruise destination.

https://www.portalberniportauthority.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/Port-Alberni-2019-Cruise-Ships.pdf

Port-Alberni-2019-Cruise-Ships.pdf

The Port Alberni Port Authority (PAPA) and West Coast Agencies is proud to announce the return of cruise ships to Port Alberni in 2019. Currently, Holland America Line (HAL Ms Maasdam) is scheduled to return to Port Alberni May 25, June 15 and July 6 of 2019. Port Alberni last hosted a cruise ship in May 2013; also a HALvessel.

While feedback from passengers, crew and the company itself was extremely positive about their experience with Port Alberni market conditions did not allow for a return since then. However, the Port, in partnership with the City of Port Alberni, remained connected to the company and within the industry to keep our community known as welcoming and a great cruise destination.

https://www.portalberniportauthority.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/Port-Alberni-2019-Cruise-Ships.pdf

Cathedral Grove would be a great excursion from there.

Our Alaska cruise on the Maasdam shows us in Astoria, Oregon on June 15. The only cruise on the web site that shows going to Port Alberni is the May 7th voyage. Wonder if the other two cruises will change.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The Plan A Cruise section at HAL has this voyage being edited. The second version does list Port Alberni. 21 Day Ultimate Alaska & Pacific Northwest Adventurer June 18. Still should finish in San Francisco on July 9 where I board for the North Pacific Crossing. Whew. I will be watching to verify that July 9 in SFO remains solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got notice of the itinerary change to the June 2019 cruise. I am very disappointed that they are eliminating Victoria and Eureka, both places that appealed to me when I booked this cruise. I did a google search on Port Alberni and one article lists POrt Alberni as one of the worst places in Canada to live. Why would they go there instead of Victoria? I didn't get any notice that their port fee would change, hope that changes.

"To enhance the EXC In-Depth experience, cruising College Fjord will replace the stop in Victoria, BC, and cruising Alberni Inlet and a stop at Port Alberni, BC

will replace the stop in Eureka, CA. The order of the ports of call and times

have been adjusted due to these itinerary revisions."

This port change would reflect the new "InDepth" offerings for the Maasdam, going to less traveled ports. Other ships will continue to offer the more tourism impacted ports. The InDepth travel experiment for this HAL smaller ship will be interesting to follow.

Our Alaska cruise on the Maasdam shows us in Astoria, Oregon on June 15. The only cruise on the web site that shows going to Port Alberni is the May 7th voyage. Wonder if the other two cruises will change.

Just saw that they did make the change only 20 minutes after I first looked. Says we are still going to Victoria and Astoria on the May 28 voyage, unless that changes. Now Port Albernia on June 15.

I just got notice of the itinerary change to the June 2019 cruise. I am very disappointed that they are eliminating Victoria and Eureka, both places that appealed to me when I booked this cruise. I did a google search on Port Alberni and one article lists POrt Alberni as one of the worst places in Canada to live. Why would they go there instead of Victoria? I didn't get any notice that their port fee would change, hope that changes.

"To enhance the EXC In-Depth experience, cruising College Fjord will replace the stop in Victoria, BC, and cruising Alberni Inlet and a stop at Port Alberni, BC

will replace the stop in Eureka, CA. The order of the ports of call and times

have been adjusted due to these itinerary revisions."

There are too many ships in Alaska. HAL needs to mix it up and l’m glad they are. Maasdam is one of the smaller ships and going back to College Fjord is a great move. In 2005 College Fjord was part of the itinerary on our first Alaska cruise on the Ryndam. It was amazing. I missed the year the HAL ship went to Port Alberni but I’m happy the opportunity is back. You can choose almost any Seattle rt itinerary if you want to visit Victoria. British Columbia is beautiful.

Interesting cruise port! We had a cottage in the area for many years and while I wouldn't have thought of it as a cruise port initially, it does make sense on a west coast cruise. The area is beautiful. Barkley Sound is a spectacular location, showcasing the west coast coastal scenery. If you want to see miles of unspoiled rugged coastline, huge forests of cedar and Douglas fir, crashing waves and rocky cliffs, this is a great spot. The proximity to ocean, mountains, fresh water lakes and first growth forests is perfect. Tofino Ucluelet and Pacific Rim National Park with its breathtaking beaches, are all under a two hour drive from Port. The winding two lane highway can be a challenge in the summer if you are stuck behind an RV but it is a pretty drive. Fishing in Barkley Sound is world class. Nearby attractions include the McLean Mill - accessed by a ride on an antique steam train ride to the historic site. The train station is just a short walk from the pier. Cathedral Grove ( a stand of old first growth trees along a self guided boardwalk) is a 20 minute drive away. Wildlife is plentiful; cougar and bear sightings are common. The area is home to a huge variety of birds ( lots of eagles and owls too). Although it was a fishing and mill town for most of its history , times have changed and the locals are working hard to present a different side to visitors.

Edited by GeezLouise1
clarification

There are too many ships in Alaska. HAL needs to mix it up and l’m glad they are. Maasdam is one of the smaller ships and going back to College Fjord is a great move. In 2005 College Fjord was part of the itinerary on our first Alaska cruise on the Ryndam. It was amazing. I missed the year the HAL ship went to Port Alberni but I’m happy the opportunity is back. You can choose almost any Seattle rt itinerary if you want to visit Victoria. British Columbia is beautiful.
We have been to Alaska many times and looking forward to some new ports. I was excited about Eureka, as I have never been. Still a very exciting cruise!

Interesting cruise port! We had a cottage in the area for many years and while I wouldn't have thought of it as a cruise port initially, it does make sense on a west coast cruise. The area is beautiful. Barkley Sound is a spectacular location, showcasing the west coast coastal scenery. If you want to see miles of unspoiled rugged coastline, huge forests of cedar and Douglas fir, crashing waves and rocky cliffs, this is a great spot. The proximity to ocean, mountains, fresh water lakes and first growth forests is perfect. Tofino Ucluelet and Pacific Rim National Park with its breathtaking beaches, are all under a two hour drive from Port. The winding two lane highway can be a challenge in the summer if you are stuck behind an RV but it is a pretty drive. Fishing in Barkley Sound is world class. Nearby attractions include the McLean Mill - accessed by a ride on an antique steam train ride to the historic site. The train station is just a short walk from the pier. Cathedral Grove ( a stand of old first growth trees along a self guided boardwalk) is a 20 minute drive away. Wildlife is plentiful; cougar and bear sightings are common. The area is home to a huge variety of birds ( lots of eagles and owls too). Although it was a fishing and mill town for most of its history , times have changed and the locals are working hard to present a different side to visitors.

I am very happy to read this. Thank you for sharing your experiences

Yes, thank you for all the information!

Do they still have the food market with the goats on the roof? A bit east on the highway?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're on the second of the three three-week Alaska voyages. We got notice of the change today, although ours says we're losing Vancouver, not Victoria, as well as Eureka. I really was looking forward to Vancouver since I haven't been there but have been to Victoria (although didn't see much so okay with going back) and my mother was really looking forward to Eureka since a good friend lives there. Oh well. I'm sure the replacements will be scenic and interesting. Really looking forward to this cruise!

Wow!!! This cruise (6-18-19) just gets better in our opinion. I know not going to Victoria is tough for some folks but we have been there several times and will be there twice this year. Eureka never made any sense to me. :o

Looking forward to both College Ford and Port Alberni.

We booked an Alaskan cruise this summer with Princess since it is cruising Glacier Bay. 4 cruises to Alaska and we still haven’t been there.

Cheers, Denise

Wow!!! This cruise (6-18-19) just gets better in our opinion. I know not going to Victoria is tough for some folks but we have been there several times and will be there twice this year. Eureka never made any sense to me. :o

Looking forward to both College Ford and Port Alberni.

We booked an Alaskan cruise this summer with Princess since it is cruising Glacier Bay. 4 cruises to Alaska and we still haven’t been there.

Cheers, Denise

Maasdam is still going to Victoria, it is Vancouver that is removed from the itinerary.

Do they still have the food market with the goats on the roof? A bit east on the highway?

We stopped in about two years ago and the market at Coombs is still there. It has been enlarged and developed for tourism. The goats are still on the roof but, in my opinion, the charm has gone. Lots of T-shirts and souvenirs and a very full parking lot!

I apologize if this is a duplicate post, this is my second try at a response.

Maasdam is still going to Victoria, it is Vancouver that is removed from the itinerary.

Interesting since the itinerary is showing Vancouver not Victoria on July 5. I went I to our booking to check. Ours is the third cruise 6-18-19.

Cheers, Denise

Interesting since the itinerary is showing Vancouver not Victoria on July 5. I went I to our booking to check. Ours is the third cruise 6-18-19.

Cheers, Denise

You are right sorry, all 3 cruises have now small differences.