Any hints on Golden Princess?????

GUT2407

So the son and Daghter in law have book their first cruise.

Golden Princess out of Melbourne Hobart Port Arthur Philip Island.

Now I can (and have) given lots of general advice, but haven't been n Golden or boarded in Melbourne. I'm guessing they'll travel to the dock by tram.

They have ATD.

They know what they're doing each port, Melbourne to MONA, Port Arthur self guided and stay on the ship at PI.

I've teed them up on soda and more, they're got a bit of OBC from booking and I did a refer a friend which gave them a bit more.

They want to try Sabatinis and the Steakhouse.

So what else???

And boarding tips?

GUT, we were on Golden Princess for 30 days in 2014, Buenos Aires to LA. She is a good ship, typical Princess - Grand Class. Plenty of room, decent cabins but small bathrooms. We had a mid ship balcony cabin on Caribe deck from memory. Good food and entertainment, mostly Americans on our cruise. Good bars and lounges, plus the usual big theatre in the bow. Tried a couple of the pay eatieries, good, but not a big fan of them, already paid my fare !! Staff good. Ship was in good condition.

Not a lot more I can add, except that I would board her again.

We are Princess Elite, so got the laundry, internet, priority boarding, tendering etc which is always good.:halo:

Now I can (and have) given lots of general advice, but haven't been n Golden or boarded in Melbourne. I'm guessing they'll travel to the dock by tram.

They have ATD.

They know what they're doing each port, Melbourne to MONA, Port Arthur self guided and stay on the ship at PI.

I've teed them up on soda and more, they're got a bit of OBC from booking and I did a refer a friend which gave them a bit more.

So what else???

And boarding tips?

Been on the Golden twice - BA to LA was quite happy with the ship.

Done the Melb to Tassie with Hobart, Philip Island and Port Arthur on the Golden as well. Entertainment was not not as good as the Sth America cruise but generally happy I did the cruise. Booked on her again to do Adelaide, Kangaroo Island etc. in 2019.

Boarding (I was platinum) was a breeze, got ushered into the short line and it wasn't long to wait to board. The line for newbies was long. Disembarking, easy too. Walked a mile along Port Melbourne beach and someone picked us up. Traffic a little busy around the port but there seemed to be lots of taxis. If we were not being picked up, we would have caught the tram to the city.

Walked around Hobart. Enjoyed the cruising around Tassie. Did not get off the ship at Philip Island because it was the coldest day in Victoria for the Summer. The tours were very expensive and if you did get off at Philip Island, you needed to pay for a bus to get to Cowes (may-be $10 each way). It was easy walking around Port Arthur on your own. It was lovely sailing out of the bay.

Lots of people from Melbourne on board but also some from interstate. It was nice being on a boat load of Aussies for a change. It was very orderly, not too much whinging and/or pushing or shoving, or not too much drowning drinks for that matter. Did not try the pay Restaurants but we bought wine with our on board credit. Didn't spend it all and we received a cheque in the mail after 2 weeks for what we could get back.

Rosie

They have ATD.

So what else???

And boarding tips?

Have done this cruise and they seem to have things pretty well covered .

Recommend the tram they are considering taking.Short walk across the road to the dock and luggage drop off a short distance along.Just show boarding passes. Yes, no need for guided tour at PA. Easy to walk around. Fish and chips near wharf in Hobart worth doing.Takeaway with seats outside vendors. Hope they have a great trip.:)

Just checking

Golden

Soft serve ice cream and shakes??? check and check (lido near the pool)

I.C.??? International Cafe? check

We have done that Tas cruise from Melb and enjoyed it, only part that was not so great was having Phillip Is last. it was a late departure making it a rushed end to the cruise :(

We have been on the Golden a few times and have enjoyed each trip, both specialty restaurants we found to be pretty good though we wouldn't go frequently. Our preference is the Crown grill, I enjoy the steak and the better half prefers the lobster.

Buy a coffee card if they coffee drinkers. Sometimes the weather on the Tassie cruises not that warm.

They're more tea drinkers so I told them to check out the horizontal court selection and if that didn't suit then get the card.

Just checking

Golden

Soft serve ice cream and shakes???

I.C.???

Soft serve icecream on deck 14 midship on the starboard side. I have just been told that they also had hard icecream that was available at no charge, but only a couple of flavours. There is an international cafe on deck 5 in the atrium.

In our opinion the best way to enter the Princess Theatre is on deck 6. There is a row of seats overlooking the flat area near the stage that have a superb view. Otherwise we like about row 4 but this is personal preference. With four exits from the theatre it empties quickly after a show.

They have ATD.

So what else???

And boarding tips?

Great work GUT, you can live vicariously through their cruise.

Just note,

MONA is in Hobart not Melbourne and they will not need to tip when boarding.:p

All I can say is tell them not to sweat the small stuff and they will have fun.

Great work GUT, you can live vicariously through their cruise.

Just note,

MONA is in Hobart not Melbourne and they will not need to tip when boarding.:p

All I can say is tell them not to sweat the small stuff and they will have fun.

Oops meant Hobart, if it was Melbourne they'd probably be there every week.

I don't know which cruise they will be on, but they need to check which day of the week they will be Hobart. MONA is closed on Tuesdays. I mention this because we were disappointed the last time we were in Hobart on a cruise. Luckily we found out about the closure before we went all the way out to the Museum.:)

Depending on which cruise they will be on, they might be out of luck with MONA. The December 2017 cruise will be in Hobart on a Monday evening, then for the full day on Tuesday. Unfortunately, MONA is closed on Tuesdays. I mention this because we were disappointed the last time we were in Hobart on a cruise. Luckily we found out about the closure before we went all the way out to the Museum. If their cruise is next March, they will be OK as they will be in Hobart on a Wednesday.:)

I hadn't thought of that. I think they said December.

Been on Golden a couple of times now and like the ship much better than the Sun sisters. One thing that does annoy me on her though is the placement of the IC and the use of the area for onboard entertainment like mini magic shows etc. It means people sit there for hours on end and it is virtually impossible to find a table if you just want a coffee and cake. I swear some people must stake a claim in the early morning and sit there nearly all day. I much prefer the set up on Solstice where the cafe always has a reasonable turnover of tables.

Concur with NSWP - bathrooms are tiny but I still fit in the shower!

Hope the kids have a great cruise.

Been on Golden a couple of times now and like the ship much better than the Sun sisters. One thing that does annoy me on her though is the placement of the IC and the use of the area for onboard entertainment like mini magic shows etc. It means people sit there for hours on end and it is virtually impossible to find a table if you just want a coffee and cake. I swear some people must stake a claim in the early morning and sit there nearly all day. I much prefer the set up on Solstice where the cafe always has a reasonable turnover of tables.

Concur with NSWP - bathrooms are tiny but I still fit in the shower!

Hope the kids have a great cruise.

Luckily the boy isn't built like his old man, the shower will seem huge to a skinny thing like him.

LOL. Even for a skinny thing, the bathroom will be 'compact' as they say :D

Yeah I've told them that.

You ought to try them when you're my size.

Funny thing I know plenty bigger than me and last cruise we had some blokes well over 7 foot, no idea how they managed I'm a touch over 6 and my head nearly touches the roof in the shower.

I've learnt to cheat I just leave my clothes (and anything I don't want to get wet) in the robe area and use the whole bathroom as my shower.

I was going to comment that hitting the ceiling with my head was not an experience I have had in bathrooms.

However, having met Gut, I know is really is a family fun sized package. So very understandable.

That small?????