Vaccinations for Caribbean?

mcgratru

Most people don’t get any vaccines for the caribbean. If you are in the US though, both hepatitis A and B are not routine childhood vaccines and are free to get (at least they were a couple years ago, due to Obamacare so not sure if it’s changed) with insurance plans if you want to make them up as an adult.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have not needed or gotten vaccinations specifically for the Caribbean, though we have for other destinations, such as Africa.

In most cases, not needed on Caribbean cruises, but consult your doctor; it may be a good idea to be sure you are up on basic shots and ask about Hepatitis shots.

Most people don’t get any vaccines for the caribbean. If you are in the US though, both hepatitis A and B are not routine childhood vaccines and are free to get (at least they were a couple years ago, due to Obamacare so not sure if it’s changed) with insurance plans if you want to make them up as an adult.

Absolutely incorrect. Vaccination for Hepatitis A and B was added to the CDC routine list in 1994. Even prior to that we were giving Hepatitis B to infants of at risk populations as well as giving Hepatitis A to travelers. Any older adult who has not been vaccinated should just do so as a matter of routine unless they have a contraindication.

I still maintain you ask your physician. I have cancer and am in active treatment. I almost went and got myself a shingles vaccine; it was a good thing I checked because it is a live vaccine and I would have gotten shingles! I always maintain you ask your health care provider.

Absolutely incorrect. Vaccination for Hepatitis A and B was added to the CDC routine list in 1994. Even prior to that we were giving Hepatitis B to infants of at risk populations as well as giving Hepatitis A to travelers. Any older adult who has not been vaccinated should just do so as a matter of routine unless they have a contraindication.

We are saying the same thing. There was a typo in my post. Wrote ‘not’ when

I meant ‘now’. I meant it to read that they are routine childhood vaccines and adults who missed them can likely get them for free.

That’s what happened to me. I got hep b as child but not hep A. When we planned a trip to Africa they are both on the recommended list and was pleasantly surprised that since it’s NOW a routine vaccine it was free of charge with my insurance. (Unlike the typhoid vaccine that was also recommended but I had to pay full price for since it’s not routine in the US)

We are saying the same thing. There was a typo in my post. Wrote ‘not’ when

I meant ‘now’. I meant it to read that they are routine childhood vaccines and adults who missed them can likely get them for free.

That’s what happened to me. I got hep b as child but not hep A. When we planned a trip to Africa they are both on the recommended list and was pleasantly surprised that since it’s NOW a routine vaccine it was free of charge with my insurance. (Unlike the typhoid vaccine that was also recommended but I had to pay full price for since it’s not routine in the US)

Wow sure shows how one little letter can totally change what you mean.

Yes these were good additions to the vaccine armamentarium when they became available. I am old enough to have seen some diseases literally disappear from the world of pediatric practice. Retired now but did it for 40 years.

Hep A & B vaccines can be done 6 months prior to a cruise or Caribbean vacation. Updating tetanus can be a good idea as well.

At present, there are no vaccines for dengue or zika, just precautionary protocols such as DEET, light colored clothing, but I can't abide by the long shirt sleeves or long pants and sox. Maybe if it was a permanent move.......nah.

Wondering how many people get vaccinations for the Caribbean? Worried about Hepatitis.

You should be worried about HEP everywhere. I don't know the actual numbers but many people catch hepatitis when they are in the hospital.

DON

Most Hep vaccines are both A and B together. It is 3 shots over 6 months for the full series.

Not necessarily for Caribbean, but they are now recommending a one time adult (after age 18) polio booster. And for some regions, a recent (IIRC 5 years) booster also.

I get a tetanus booster every 5 years, instead of the typical 10 years. But I travel to some strange places. :D

Thanks...from Canada so no worries about health care cost.

We have been to Caribbean before but thinking we will get updated vaccines this time.

In Canafa, you do have to pay for hep A and for Twinrix (both A and B) which is a good idea if you haven't had either. Most travel related vaccines are not covered by provincial health insurance, but if you have private insurance they might cover some or most of the cost. You can go to a travel clinic for the most up to date advice.

This response is vaccination related although not specifically cruise related. There is a new shingles shot available that is supposed to be much better than the old one. Even if you have already gotten one of the old shingles shots, it is recommended that you get the new ones especially if you are older.

Just a heads up.

DON