Upgrade Fairy for Australians

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:41 PM.
Western Australia
369 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
I just saw another lucky cruiser getting a visit from the upgrade fairy on an Australian cruise (RCCL) then I discovered they were from the US. I realised I've never seen a post from an Australian cruiser cruising in Oz, the Pacific, or NZ getting a visit from the fairy on this site. Perhaps I've just missed it or do the US cruise companies favour there own citizens with upgrades?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop.
Mid North Coast, NSW Australia
248 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
I was offered and accepted an upgrade on Celebrity Solstice next March, from a balcony room to Aqua Class for a total room cost of $200. I am an Aussie and my trip is to South Pacific for 9 days. This will be my 4th cruise on Solstice. I didn't loose any of my original perks either.
I come from a land down under
23,480 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
My first two cruises we got free upgrades.

Since then we mark our booking no upgrade as location has become paramount due to s9me health issues.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Orewa , Auckland , N.Z.
18,977 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
I had many upgrades over the years. They are usually not done for any feel good wouldn't it be nice reason, but rather to benefit the distribution and placement of passengers and the allocation of cabin service staff .
They used to be done for free , but they seem to offer them now for a fee.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DAVID

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

*Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask
Sydney, Australia
602 Posts
Joined May 2010
I have had an upgrade from inside to Concierge on Solstice, inside to balcony on Ovation and inside to outside on Voyager and Explorer
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

I have sailed on SS Oriana , SS Canberra, MV Sea Princess, Stella Oceanus, MV Pacific Princess, MV Island Princess, MV Royal Princess, TSS Fairstar, Southern Cross, Fair Princess, Pacific Sky, Regal Princess, Arcadia, Dawn Princess, Celebrity Century , Voyager of the Seas , Celebrity Solstice, Mariner of the Seas, Sea Princess, Quantum of the Seas, Carnival Spirit, Explorer of the Seas, Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl, Ovation of the Seas and hopefully many more to come...
Victoria, Australia
542 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
I have been upgraded on Princess from a mini suite to a vista suite. It was wonderful
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sitmar Fairstar.......South Pacific 1985
Sapphire Princess...Sydney - LA 2007
Sapphire Princess...Sydney - LA 2008
Sun Princess..........Fremantle - Cape Town 2009
Pacific Jewel...........South Pacific 2010
Sapphire Princess...SanFrancisco - Sydney 2010
Pacific Dawn..........South Pacific 2011
Diamond Princess...Sydney - Beijing 2012
Diamond Princess...Beijing - Singapore 2012
Diamond Princess... Singapore - Singapore 2013
Diamond Princess... Singapore - Sydney 2013

Emerald Princess...Southampton - Southampton 2014
Emerald Princess...Southampton - Houston 2014

Emerald Princess...Southampton - Melbourne 2016
Golden Princess...Sydney -Sydney via Hawaii 2017
Sydney, NSW Australia
531 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
It seems to me that you are either lucky or not lucky. We have done 6 Princess cruises (including 3 in non-Australian waters) and never got an upgrade but our next door neighbours got one on their very first cruise which just so happened to coincide with one of our cruises. These days it would seem that upsell offers are more frequent than upgrades although we have never been offered an upsell either.
Canberra Australia
2,863 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Ive had an up-sell early in the piece in Aust on Royal. And an upgrade in Sth America with Royal - OV to JS for a 14 night cruise Lovely.
We shall see if my Pinnacle status gets me any more.
Raina
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I don't have a bucket list! A bucket is much too small. I have a '44 Gallon Drum List!'

BLOGS -
I blog my trips. They can be found here RainaTravels.com Many of them are cruise trips.

6 continents on a Royal ship.
7 continents on a cruise ship.

Visited 79 countries. Still a long way to go!
630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Our first cruise with RCI (Rhapsody) we were upgraded without charge from a balcony to junior suite, great cruise. Also with Oriana we were upgraded to a balcony and the best was an inside guarantee upgrade to a balcony on Queen Elizabeth, also a great cruise.
We have had an offer of an upgrade for a fee with RCI which we declined as we had the room of our choice.
There used to be an option on your paperwork with RCI where you automatically declined an upgrade from your chosen room.
Possibly choosing a guarantee option, you may have a better chance of an upgrade. We did this with QE having chosen a guarantee option at a room grading where there were the least rooms available, hoping for an upgrade.
Doesn't always work though, have had a few rooms as forward as you can get! But you know this is a possibility when you book.
All good and we enjoy just being on a ship.
Have cruised a few times, statistically upgraded one in ten.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Fedor Shalyapin 1979 ........... Queen Elizabeth x 2
Dawn Princess x 5................ Queen Mary 2 x 1
Sun Princess x 1.................. Oriana x 1
Sea Princess x 1.................. Volendam x 1
Diamond Princess x 1........... Pacific Jewell x 1
Rhapsody of the Seas x 2...... Pacific Aria x 1
Radiance of the Seas x 7....... Celebrity Solstice x 1
Voyager of the Seas x 5 ........Ovation of the Seas x 1
Pacific Explorer x 1
Canberra Australia
2,863 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by megsie
There used to be an option on your paperwork with RCI where you automatically declined an upgrade from your chosen room.
There still is. You log into your profile and put your options there.

No upgrade
Automatic
Near friends and family
Same floor etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I don't have a bucket list! A bucket is much too small. I have a '44 Gallon Drum List!'

BLOGS -
I blog my trips. They can be found here RainaTravels.com Many of them are cruise trips.

630 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by AussieVisi2r
There still is. You log into your profile and put your options there.

No upgrade
Automatic
Near friends and family
Same floor etc.

Good to know it's still there. Have booked a family cruise in 2018 on Ovation with all rooms close by. Am now going to log into profile and check options as we have chosen a balcony room with a large balcony.
Although the children in insides might hope for an upgrade!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Fedor Shalyapin 1979 ........... Queen Elizabeth x 2
Dawn Princess x 5................ Queen Mary 2 x 1
Sun Princess x 1.................. Oriana x 1
Sea Princess x 1.................. Volendam x 1
Diamond Princess x 1........... Pacific Jewell x 1
Rhapsody of the Seas x 2...... Pacific Aria x 1
Radiance of the Seas x 7....... Celebrity Solstice x 1
Voyager of the Seas x 5 ........Ovation of the Seas x 1
Pacific Explorer x 1
Nelson Bay
1,153 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Last year on two Princess cruises, I was offered and accepted a inside to balcony. One was free the other was at a good price, but not a good a free.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Batehaven, Australia
10,189 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Never ever in about 27 cruises, including 460 days with Princess. No offers either.

I don't believe in fairies.

Some cruiselines seem to upgrade more than others.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Western Australia
369 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
Originally posted by reedy8
I just saw another lucky cruiser getting a visit from the upgrade fairy on an Australian cruise (RCCL) then I discovered they were from the US. I realised I've never seen a post from an Australian cruiser cruising in Oz, the Pacific, or NZ getting a visit from the fairy on this site. Perhaps I've just missed it or do the US cruise companies favour there own citizens with upgrades?
Thank you all, I am glad to know that I was wrong (I don't mind being wrong) we get them too, and I hope you get many more!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop.
Sydney, Australia
13,974 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by NSWP

Some cruiselines seem to upgrade more than others.
Agree with this.

I have the impression Princess/P&O upgrade more (as that's been my experience) whereas nothing with Celebrity or RCCL. I'm aware Celebrity/RCCL are bigger on upselling, and issuing last minute guarantees instead of upgrading early bookers.

Though I appreciate you haven't had the same fortune with Princess...
Sydney
652 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
Geez, hope someone is noticing Aussie cruisers getting less upgrades/up sells.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
A smile doesn't cost anything 😊

Voyager of the Seas 2014, 2015
Radiance of the Seas 2016
Explorer of the seas 2016
Ovation of the Seas 2017
Ovation of the seas 2018
Celebrity Solstice 2018
184 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
We did!
Booked an ocean view room on a transpacific last year to end 4 months of travelling. The day we got to LA (start of the trip), we received an email from out TA, $50 each (4 of us) to upgrade to a balcony. We emailed back yes of course! Had to wait a few days to hear back but we got it. Ended up being an extended balcony!
Canberra Australia
2,863 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Newby58
Geez, hope someone is noticing Aussie cruisers getting less upgrades/up sells.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
We also book a fraction of the rooms the rest of the world books. So pro-rata we probably get as many.
And the Royal ships usually sail full in Australia so very few rooms to upgrade people into.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

BLOGS -

Perth, Western Australia
90 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Originally posted by megsie
Good to know it's still there. Have booked a family cruise in 2018 on Ovation with all rooms close by. Am now going to log into profile and check options as we have chosen a balcony room with a large balcony.
Although the children in insides might hope for an upgrade!
We booked a deck 8 Promenade stateroom on Explorer and set our upgrade preference to: "will accept an upgrade but not to a deck lower than already booked".
12 hrs before we left Perth for Sydney we noticed we had been moved to an Oceanview on deck 2!!!. We had to wait until we boarded to sort it out. An email to RCI post cruise confirmed they concidered it an upgrade but admitted they didn't take notice of our preference. It is now set to NO upgrade.
Gold Coast
10,216 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Cruzbear24
We booked a deck 8 Promenade stateroom on Explorer and set our upgrade preference to: "will accept an upgrade but not to a deck lower than already booked".
12 hrs before we left Perth for Sydney we noticed we had been moved to an Oceanview on deck 2!!!. We had to wait until we boarded to sort it out. An email to RCI post cruise confirmed they concidered it an upgrade but admitted they didn't take notice of our preference. It is now set to NO upgrade.
An excellent example of when an upgrade is not an upgrade. What were they thinking?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam