Galveston or New Orleans

cruiser20145

NOLA hands down. Go in a day or 2 early and explore. NOLA is my favorite cruise port. The people are friendly, the food is great, there are so many sights to see, and the downtown is very walkable in the daytime to see the sights and experience the culture. If you like to gamble, Harrah's is very near the cruise port. There is convenient shuttle service to downtown hotels from the airport which makes it convenient to play before you cruise.

I cruised out of Galveston once and said never again. Getting to the port is a hassle and the pre-cruise stay was not near as much fun.

JMHO.

Where do you usually fly from?

Edited by winddawn

I would say New Orleans, however I am biased since it is my home port. Sailing on the Mississippi River is really nice. You should spend time in New Orleans before or after the cruise.

If you stay in New Orleans the night before, I would splurge for a river view room at the Westin if you can afford it. You would have a perfect view of the ship coming around the river bend at around 6:00am. The hotel is at the intersection of the Riverfront and Canal streetcar lines so you could get around easily. Visit the WW2 museum. Walk around the French Quarter.

I have never sailed out of Galveston, but my parents did in 2008. My mom wasn't happy with Carnival and the port staff on embarkation day. Prior to getting there, my parents had requested a wheelchair for my dad for embarkation. He had heart problems and walking long distances could be difficult at times. They were never given a wheelchair. My dad had to walk. He ended up with a blister on his foot. The blister had burst, and his sock was soaked with blood. My parents were unofficially excused from the muster drill because there was no way my dad was going to be able to get to any muster station and stand through the drill. My parents wouldn't have been excused if that had happened today. Hopefully Carnival and the port staff have improved since then.

I have been to Galveston four times for a convention. I stayed at the Hilton three times and the Red Roof Inn once. Both are on Seawall Blvd. You can cross the street to get to the beach. I watched the water from the second level of the convention center several times. It is beautiful even in less than great weather. There are several restaurants within walking distance. There is a Kroger(with gas station) next to the convention center. I walked to Walmart(with gas station) and Sonic. I didn't think it was too far.

If you are driving west, take the car ferry in Port Bolivar. It is free and runs 24 hours a day. It is usually faster than going through Houston. It drops you off on the same end of the island has the cruise port.

Edited by Tiger0613

I've done New Orleans 5 times and Galveston twice. I have two future New Orleans cruises booked and one Galveston. I prefer New Orleans...and usually the cruises are cheaper. I only go to Galveston for a specific ship (Breeze, Vista) or if something big is going on in New Orleans the week I want to cruise...In 2017 they moved the NBA all-star game to New Orleans the week I wanted to sail so instead of going on Dream out of New Orleans I booked Freedom out of Galveston. If you're a cheers person you can't buy it day 1 out of Galveston but you can out of New Orleans. Obviously New Orleans is like an extra port. There are things to do in New Orleans that will be as good or better than any excursion on your cruise. I like the hotel/parking situation better in New Orleans. And then you get a bit of a river cruise going down the mississippi as well.

I would say New Orleans, however I am biased since it is my home port. Sailing on the Mississippi River is really nice. You should spend time in New Orleans before or after the cruise.

If you stay in New Orleans the night before, I would splurge for a river view room at the Westin if you can afford it. You would have a perfect view of the ship coming around the river bend at around 6:00am. The hotel is at the intersection of the Riverfront and Canal streetcar lines so you could get around easily. Visit the WW2 museum. Walk around the French Quarter.

I have never sailed out of Galveston, but my parents did in 2008. My mom wasn't happy with Carnival and the port staff on embarkation day. Prior to getting there, my parents had requested a wheelchair for my dad for embarkation. He had heart problems and walking long distances could be difficult at times. They were never given a wheelchair. My dad had to walk. He ended up with a blister on his foot. The blister had burst, and his sock was soaked with blood. My parents were unofficially excused from the muster drill because there was no way my dad was going to be able to get to any muster station and stand through the drill. My parents wouldn't have been excused if that had happened today. Hopefully Carnival and the port staff have improved since then.

That's horrible about your dad! That hotel looks beautiful, but I can't swing that hotel room!I've never been to NOLA, but have always wanted to visit.

NOLA hands down. Go in a day or 2 early and explore. NOLA is my favorite cruise port. The people are friendly, the food is great, there are so many sights to see, and the downtown is very walkable in the daytime to see the sights and experience the culture. If you like to gamble, Harrah's is very near the cruise port. There is convenient shuttle service to downtown hotels from the airport which makes it convenient to play before you cruise.

I cruised out of Galveston once and said never again. Getting to the port is a hassle and the pre-cruise stay was not near as much fun.

JMHO.

The cruise leaves on a Monday, so we will be able to fly in Saturday and stay a couple of days.

I've done New Orleans 5 times and Galveston twice. I have two future New Orleans cruises booked and one Galveston. I prefer New Orleans...and usually the cruises are cheaper. I only go to Galveston for a specific ship (Breeze, Vista) or if something big is going on in New Orleans the week I want to cruise...In 2017 they moved the NBA all-star game to New Orleans the week I wanted to sail so instead of going on Dream out of New Orleans I booked Freedom out of Galveston. If you're a cheers person you can't buy it day 1 out of Galveston but you can out of New Orleans. Obviously New Orleans is like an extra port. There are things to do in New Orleans that will be as good or better than any excursion on your cruise. I like the hotel/parking situation better in New Orleans. And then you get a bit of a river cruise going down the mississippi as well.

I've watched videos of ships going down the river, and it looks amazing! Like no other sail away!

That's horrible about your dad! That hotel looks beautiful, but I can't swing that hotel room!I've never been to NOLA, but have always wanted to visit.

If you pick New Orleans...post your dates on the big Hotels thread in the New Orleans forum..I may be able to help you get a better hotel than you think depending on the dates.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Make sure before your make your decision to check to make sure there is nothing special going on in either of the 2 ports because during certain celebrations/special times hotel prices can be expensive and difficult to find in either place.

Make sure before your make your decision to check to make sure there is nothing special going on in either of the 2 ports because during certain celebrations/special times hotel prices can be expensive and difficult to find in either place.

The Yep Fest is going on the day before we sail. Is that a major event?

The cruise/ airfare is about $300 more from NOLA than Galveston. Same itinerary.

Had me sold on NOLA just with the price. All of the other stuff people said is just a bonus. Texas also has some stricter laws too from what I can tell. I would probably only recommend Galveston if you lived by it or really wanted to travel to that area.

We have done several cruises out of Galveston, usually we just fly in the morning of cruise as we can get a 2 hour direct flight from Albuquerque. Twice we have spent the night before, just so we could spend the afternoon with our son who lives/works in Houston.

We are planning to do a NOLA cruise though, maybe in spring. That one we will fly in day before so we can spend a little time in town before.

Had me sold on NOLA just with the price. All of the other stuff people said is just a bonus. Texas also has some stricter laws too from what I can tell. I would probably only recommend Galveston if you lived by it or really wanted to travel to that area.

Houston is a bit more convenient for us to fly to, as more flights are offered to Houston than NOLA here.

The Yep Fest is going on the day before we sail. Is that a major event?

I'm not a local (I fly in just like you!), so I suggest you post the dates you're looking at and then let the locals respond. You can also check prices for hotels and that will give you good idea. If there's a major event going on, hotels will show unavailable or show outrageously expensive. Some hotels evoke minimum booking requirements during major events, such as requiring a 3 night minimum. That can happen in any city, so its a good rule of thumb to check for.

What would you prefer to sail from? I know that NOLA is an easier port to get to than Galveston. The cruise/ airfare is about $300 more from NOLA than Galveston. Same itinerary.

who annoys you more Texans sports fans or LSU fans?

:')

We have done several cruises out of Galveston, usually we just fly in the morning of cruise as we can get a 2 hour direct flight from Albuquerque. Twice we have spent the night before, just so we could spend the afternoon with our son who lives/works in Houston.

We are planning to do a NOLA cruise though, maybe in spring. That one we will fly in day before so we can spend a little time in town before.

Flying in the day of the cruise and the port is an hour+ from the airport is playing with fire.

Texas also has some stricter laws too from what I can tell. I would probably only recommend Galveston if you lived by it or really wanted to travel to that area.[/qu

Additionally, if you have the Cheers package, you can use it immediately upon embarkation in NOLA. Out of Galveston, you'll have to wait till day 2 to use it. (Granted, you only paid for 6 days, but hell, you're there to enjoy from day 1 right!! :p )

Also, as others have stated, the trip down the Mississippi is awesome!!

I'm not a local (I fly in just like you!), so I suggest you post the dates you're looking at and then let the locals respond. You can also check prices for hotels and that will give you good idea. If there's a major event going on, hotels will show unavailable or show outrageously expensive. Some hotels evoke minimum booking requirements during major events, such as requiring a 3 night minimum. That can happen in any city, so its a good rule of thumb to check for.

I am looking a the March 25, 2019 sailing of Carnival Glory. We would fly in on the 23rd, and spend Saturday and Sunday in the city. We would fly out the day the cruise returns.

Respectfully, I personally don’t care much for New Orleans. Have been there several times, both for leisure and for business. Just not my cup of tea. Just like some people love Las Vegas and others wouldn’t be caught dead vacationing there, the same can be said about New Orleans.

With that said, I’ve only been to Galveston once (I purposely went there to check it out when I was in Houston for business). Yes, the drive from the IAH airport is long, but the drive from the HOU airport is almost half the distance so I would recommend flying there.

I did like Galveston’s laid back and quaint feel. Much more my style. So if I had to choose, I would select a cruise out of Galveston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What would you prefer to sail from? I know that NOLA is an easier port to get to than Galveston. The cruise/ airfare is about $300 more from NOLA than Galveston. Same itinerary.

To each there own I guess.

I think NO is an armpit of a town. Dirty and very aggressive panhandlers. I certainly would not extend my vacation to visit the city.

As for sailing on the Mississippi, I have done that a number of times on a Riverboat cruise. Frankly after 30 minutes it becomes "meh"....just not as grand or inspiring as seeing nothing but water to the horizon on the gulf or ocean.

To me it would come down to the best trade-off of ship/itinerary/price. Luckily I am a very easy (two stops along the way) four hour drive from Galveston, so my choice is very simple.

I am looking a the March 25, 2019 sailing of Carnival Glory. We would fly in on the 23rd, and spend Saturday and Sunday in the city. We would fly out the day the cruise returns.

This is exactly what we did (think we flew in Friday and spent 3 nights) on the Triumph with our teen boys the week before Christmas last year. We really enjoyed the French Quarter, had begniets and chicory coffee just off Jackson Square at Cafe DuMonde, and a walking tour of the Garden District. We spent 5 hours at the WWII museum, which is truly not o be missed. We chose to stay at the Hilton close to the pier and I think it was under $10 to uber the 4 of us to the front door,

We are not city people but truly enjoyed this trip. And per your other post, we were in an l-shaped balcony with the kids across the hall. It was dark sailing down the Mississippi but fog rolled in thicker than I have ever seen and it was amazing.

We have sailed from both and had very good experiences. It is a couple of hours closer for us to drive to Galveston but NOLA has akways been much cheaper so we’ve gone there except for times we wanted specific ships it dates. Plus I get to go to Cafe Du Monde for beignets before boarding