Dress Code - Either Enforce it of Forget It

Djptcp

Food Is edible lol. Just not I would call fine dinning and yes food taste are very subjective. I am a steak lover and have never had a steak on a cruise that I would say was great even on Disney so I would never pay extra to have one in there steak houses!!!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Dang spell check, new it was wrong "edible" .

Have you tried the Specialty Restaurants on NCL? They are actually really good . And it a far cry from sitting in MDR's on any cruise line.

LOL as long as we are using the correct spelling it is " their".😂

We hate to dress up ourselves however we never dress like slops either.

On formal nights, would a nice polo shirt and nice kaki shorts work?

For us, no. I rock a pair of nice slacks, a button up shirt with a vest and some dressy shoes. On the 2nd formal night I pretty much wear the same except for a change in shirts. If the pants are still in good shape I will just Downy Wrinkle Release them and hang them up for the 2nd night. If not, I will send them out or I will have pack a 2nd pair.

I do believe shorts are on the "not permitted list" on Formal Nights . . . so it is up to the discretion of the Maitre D when you check in for dinner . . . but personally I have no problem with anybody rocking that on Formal night. Whatever makes you feel comfortable but definitely understand the rules and the potential of not being allowed into the Dining room if you are not complying with the stated "Not Permitted" dress code.

Dang spell check, new it was wrong "edible" .

Have you tried the Specialty Restaurants on NCL? They are actually really good . And it a far cry from sitting in MDR's on any cruise line.

LOL as long as we are using the correct spelling it is " their".[emoji23]

Sorry for the spelling errors I usually multitask and sometimes don't check before posting. Fyi committing on spelling errors can get you a demerit on cruise critic!!

Sorry for the spelling errors I usually multitask and sometimes don't check before posting. Fyi committing on spelling errors can get you a demerit on cruise critic!!

I know that! Just responding in reference to me being " corrected".

Like a few others have said, you might try a Specialty Dining Restaurant or Steakhouse on a cruise 🚢. They may not be as good as a Top Notch Steakhouse that you pay $$$$$ for, but they are pretty good for $$.

DH and I have been taking cruises since 1994 and have watched the dress codes lessen as society craved less formal options. I understand that people who have to fly to cruise ports have to pay for luggage or extra luggage and more formal clothes take up a lot of luggage space. However, after 44 cruises and 31 on Carnival, the dress code for elegant nights is pretty straightforward, but passengers still wear baseball caps and jeans with holes in them, women wearing short shorts, let alone t-shirts with offensive sayings on them. They are still allowed in the MDR on elegant nights. Is that what people really wear to restaurants that cater to elegant dining? Why even have a dress code if it is continually ignored? I just don't get it.

ITA. I love the formalness of the MDR. DH and I never get to dress up and go out like that. Its always a pleasure, even when the food is not always great.

How many cruise lines have strict formal night policies now?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are several of them (more than you can count on one hand but less than both hands).

They cost more than the shorts-wearing public can afford but who still want to be served like they can.

The most vocal self-appointed know-it-all here seems to think budget mass-market cruiselines should provide Michelin star dining to their guests who dress like they are attending a backyard barbeque at a price they feel they should pay. Carnival ain’t it... nor should it be and I couldn’t be happier it isn’t.

Carnival’s product is geared to a specific type of cruiser. To profess they should “up their game” to attract a different demographic by raising fares “5 to 10%” would change Carnival’s branding for a self-important motive.

It’s the epitome of hypocrisy to criticize a budget experience because it’s a budget experience.

Carmival has no trouble filling its ships with people who want to wear shorts to dinner and watch the servers shimmy/shake for entertainment.

The ones who have redundantly expressed angst are the ones who wish they could afford better but can’t.... and it apparently perturbs them to no end.

It is entertaining to watch them pontificate and even more fun to see them look foolish doing so.

There are several of them (more than you can count on one hand but less than both hands).

They cost more than the shorts-wearing public can afford but who still want to be served like they can.

The most vocal self-appointed know-it-all here seems to think budget mass-market cruiselines should provide Michelin star dining to their guests who dress like they are attending a backyard barbeque at a price they feel they should pay. Carnival ain’t it... nor should it be and I couldn’t be happier it isn’t.

Carnival’s product is geared to a specific type of cruiser. To profess they should “up their game” to attract a different demographic by raising fares “5 to 10%” would change Carnival’s branding for a self-important motive.

It’s the epitome of hypocrisy to criticize a budget experience because it’s a budget experience.

Carmival has no trouble filling its ships with people who want to wear shorts to dinner and watch the servers shimmy/shake for entertainment.

The ones who have redundantly expressed angst are the ones who wish they could afford better but can’t.... and it apparently perturbs them to no end.

It is entertaining to watch them pontificate and even more fun to see them look foolish doing so.

Our opinion from what we've seen is the other cruise lines charge more, but they ain't any better in their MDR's, so we're happy paying the lower price!:D

And 10% would not be enough. Think 300-400% to get the cruise some of these cheapskates seem to want.

And for those who "don't get a chance to dress up at home". Yeah..you do have that chance everyday. You just choose not to.

The DW, kids, and I get all prettied up for formal night. We don't get to do it often so we take the opportunity to do so. Only get to put the suit on for a few occasions and 1 of them isn't joyous.

I think it's respect. Respect for rules and others. If I didn't have the attire, I would hit the buffet. That's just me. But don't let it ruin your evening. People gonna do what they gonna do and all the fussing isn't going to make your cruise any better.

We tell our kids to respect the rules but question authority.......all while driving 70mph in a 60mph zone. We all have our set of rules we choose to follow.

I also love getting dressed up, love seeing my hubby and son looking fancy! My only complaint about this is that when rules aren’t enforced it gives my hubby and son ideas. First elegant night with son both in slacks long sleeve shirts and ties ( gorgeous). This last cruise no ties, hubby wore short sleeve shirt [emoji849] son had no choice but to wear long sleeve but left his bow tie in room. I’m fighting a losing battle [emoji30]. Afraid of what they’ll wear on our next cruise. As long as we look good other people truly don’t bother me, but I definitely think that rules should be enforced!! IMG_4989.jpg.ed45b98dbd4493a5d2a87f58b99c1165.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also love getting dressed up, love seeing my hubby and son looking fancy! My only complaint about this is that when rules aren’t enforced it gives my hubby and son ideas. First elegant night with son both in slacks long sleeve shirts and ties ( gorgeous). This last cruise no ties, hubby wore short sleeve shirt [emoji849] son had no choice but to wear long sleeve but left his bow tie in room. I’m fighting a losing battle [emoji30]. Afraid of what they’ll wear on our next cruise. As long as we look good other people truly don’t bother me, but I definitely think that rules should be enforced!! [ATTACH]414775[/ATTACH]

Your family looks great in both photos.

lololololol, if they eat next to us, I'll start sneezing, and they will quickly finish their meals!;p

OMG, my husband and I have been talking about this for upcoming cruise. Sneezing coughing almost barfing. And when someone asks what's wrong, they are going to be told. There's no way of avoiding it other than staying home. That's not happening.

I'm not bothered by dressing up, nor am I bothered by people that don't I usually just sail with my DW (just got back from our first cruise as a married couple on Saturday) so what other people are wearing is normally the last thing on my mind. We only did a quick 5 day out this time around, and our "elegant" wear was a guayabera shirt for me and a guayabera dress on her. Hers fit perfectly, I however had enjoyed my meals a little too much since the last time I wore the shirt out, ended up running back to the room and changing into what I had left, a minimally branded pocket tee. No one gave us a second glance aside from the couples we'd met earlier in the week wishing us well on our first married Valentine's Day.

• 2 weeks later...
As much as we do our best to stay within the dress codes regardless of the venue, I’m enjoying my own time, and my husband’s company, to give a damn what other people are wearing at the next table.

I so agree. I don't care what out people wear on their vacation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’ll start with I’ll be 41 this month so we are about that same age. I also have a daughter who used to exclusively wear Rocks. They are nicely made jeans. They look nice yes, they aren’t cheap, but they are still denim. Denim is considered casual. I didn’t have to tell her on elegant night to follow the dress code and put the jeans up. She put on a dress likely from Ross that may cost 15% of the cost of the jeans. The dress code isn’t by price of the clothing. Same as every job I’ve had has dress code by type of clothing not cost.

Now let me say personally I don’t care much about what someone wears to dinner. I would considerably care more about personal hygiene. One cruise our table was by a booth with a couple dressed appropriately but had a BO odor on couple evenings. That did affect my meal.

The dress code is part of the contract we agree to. Rules help to allow an enjoyable vacation for all. Personally I wish the rules that don’t negatively affect someone’s else were guidelines [emoji16]

Some people go on vacation to relax. I prefer to dress. I wear polo shirt and khakis and scubs for my jobs. Some people just don't want to dress up for dinner their vacation their choice. Every rule is not enforced I prefer that they enforce kids in the Solarium or babies in the pool with diapers. Passengers monitoring their children. Rather than worrying about what someone is wearing to dinner. So long as they are enjoying their vacation what do I care.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think what people really want is just for more people to just try a little. not like "I don't want to dress up", because khakis and a polo is suuuper dressed up? yeah right) just not your ratty cutoffs and stained up nascar t shirt. I think most people just want to be in good clean company, and if most of just tried a little, like 2% even. I'm by no means fancy (how many of us say that, before we proceed? lol....) but how hard is to put on something that looks decent? not like it's my vacay so, FU!!!!! but just "hey it's dinner, I threw on some clean clothes". I don't know, it seems like a personal thing for some people like "ahhhm not weeeerin yer fancy schmancy cloooos, I ain't doin' it!!!"

I will have been travelling for 3 weeks (from far away Australia via NYC and DC) before finally getting on our vessel.

It is a long way, and a long time, to carry formal attire to be used only only 2 nights in a full month of travelling.

What is the bare minimum you would say is acceptable for formal night on board? Eg. is a jacket absolutely necessary, or a tie?

I will have been travelling for 3 weeks (from far away Australia via NYC and DC) before finally getting on our vessel.

It is a long way, and a long time, to carry formal attire to be used only only 2 nights in a full month of travelling.

What is the bare minimum you would say is acceptable for formal night on board? Eg. is a jacket absolutely necessary, or a tie?

Not many people wear a jacket/tie anymore on Carnival. You're welcome to wear that if you want, but khakis and polo are just fine to wear.

Dress code is on Carnival's site. Pretty minimum dress if you ask me. Doesn't take much to look halfway decent.

Not many people wear a jacket/tie anymore on Carnival. You're welcome to wear that if you want, but khakis and polo are just fine to wear.

yes. even a nice pair of jeans and a polo or a Hawaiian style button up even. it doesn't take much. just a little effort really. That's sorta my point....it takes very little, so why not try a little?