RCCL Cancelled Cruise-They refunded everything but Cruise Care Travel Insurance!

Our September 30, cruise on Adventure out of San Juan was cancelled by Royal Caribbean due to the hurricanes - they refunded all of our money paid EXCEPT the Cruise Care Insurance we paid them - does this make sense? We have never had a cruise cancelled by Royal before - seems like we should get the insurance money back also!

Thoughts or comments or past experience appreciated......

Our September 30, cruise on Adventure out of San Juan was cancelled by Royal Caribbean due to the hurricanes - they refunded all of our money paid EXCEPT the Cruise Care Insurance we paid them - does this make sense? We have never had a cruise cancelled by Royal before - seems like we should get the insurance money back also!

Thoughts or comments or past experience appreciated......

The insurance is provided by a third party company, and is generally not refundable. I might call the Crown & Anchor desk and see if a supervisor or the Resolutions Department can get it refunded to you.

Presumably RCL paid your monies over to the insurance company. The commission insurance companies pay for insurance sold in this way is up to half of the total premium paid (in NZ anyway). I'd at least want to get that back from RCL but I'd not be hopeful of succeeding in getting it.

No, you should not get your premium back.

Think about it. Do you get any of your insurance premium payments back when you make a claim? Do you get your insurance premiums payments back when you don't make a claim?

Travel insurance is no different.

Would you have been refunded even if you didn't have insurance? If so, then I think you should have gotten your insurance money back if you didn't use it to make a claim for anything else. Unless there is a clause in the purchase agreement that says it won't be refunded no matter what.

As another person asked, did you have hotel or airfare that you had to make an insurance claim for? If so, you should not get your insurance money back. If you did not have insurance and RC cancelled the cruise, you would get your money back from RC for the cruise, but not for hotel or airfare. You'd have to make an insurance claim for those things, and people without insurance wouldn't get their airfare or hotel money back, but you would because you had insurance. In that case, insurance was still needed and used, so you shouldn't get the premium back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would call and talk about it with them.

But remember that car insurance isn’t paid back just because you give the car away before driving it. At least I don’t think it is. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I arrange to purchase a car and then the dealership has to cancel because they did not receive delivery from the manufacturer, I will never be charged for insurance on that car. Similarly, if the cruise line has to cancel a cruise before I embark on it, I would not expect to have to pay for insurance on that cruise.

If I arrange to purchase a car and then the dealership has to cancel because they did not receive delivery from the manufacturer, I will never be charged for insurance on that car. Similarly, if the cruise line has to cancel a cruise before I embark on it, I would not expect to have to pay for insurance on that cruise.

Actuarians know about these things, a word to the wise is sufficient.

Apples and Oranges.

If you don't receive the car, then the insurance company is not at risk.

However, in the case of the OP, if the cruise passed final payment, then the insurance company was at risk to pay in case the OP cancelled for a covered reason.

Apples and Oranges.

If you don't receive the car, then the insurance company is not at risk.

However, in the case of the OP, if the cruise passed final payment, then the insurance company was at risk to pay in case the OP cancelled for a covered reason.

I agree that it is not a fair comparison. However, the comparison was originally made by Mollyeilis and I was simply responding to it. Nevertheless, the insurance company only assumed a small part of the risk. For example, when RCCL cancelled the cruise, the insurance company no longer had the risk that the OP would become ill during the cruise. A better comparison would be if I purchase a car and insure it for 12 months and then I sell the car after only one month, without ever making a claim on the insurance. The insurance company will then refund me for 11/12 of the price of the 12 month policy. Even this comparison is not really fair since the car owner sells the car by choice whereas the OP had no choice about having the cruise cancelled.

Read the insurance contract.

Since the company assumes a risk as of day one of coverage, you will not get a refund.

More like buying a car, but not driving it. You do not get a refund on your insurance.

My in-laws just canceled a cruise a few months ago. They were informed that the cruise insurance was not refundable, but could be applied to a future cruse. When they booked their next cruise last week the cruise insurance was credited at that time.

Maybe you can call Royal and see if that is the case with you?

My in-laws just canceled a cruise a few months ago. They were informed that the cruise insurance was not refundable, but could be applied to a future cruse. When they booked their next cruise last week the cruise insurance was credited at that time.

Maybe you can call Royal and see if that is the case with you?[/quot This sounds like the logical answer. Insurance is just that . Don't think any company would have paid it back to you.

I remember on one of the hurricane updates, Royal stated that they would not be refunding the insurance premiums (I don't remember which cruise), so that people could still file claims, presumably for other travel related expenses. Which makes sense.

As far as I know, trip insurance is NEVER refundable.

If you pay off your cruise and pay for the cruise insurance (RCCL's insurance) before final payment date. You get a refund of the full amount including the insurance.

Since the company assumes a risk as of day one of coverage, you will not get a refund.

Insurance risk is not constant over the term of a travel insurance contact; only a relatively small proportion of risk is borne over the pre-travel period in most circumstances. Such a contract could be designed to be cancellable in circumstances like the one here and pricing the refund would not be hard. Being able to process a refund at a low enough cost to leave money to refund to the customer is where the challenge probably lies.

Perhaps the real question here is why should RCL get to keep the commission for selling the insurance contract. In this part of the world for a contract sold in that way the commission would be in the order of half of the premium paid. It doesn't seem morally right to me for the retailer to keep the commission when they have decided not to provide the service.