Usage of VPN BLOCKED

Jim_Iain

I'm currently on Constellation and for security I use a VPN which is required by my employer. Constellation has blocked the use of VPN's and has even blocked the websites that sell VPN. I had never seen this before on Constellation and wondering if other have experienced this on other ships. :mad:

I'm currently on Constellation and for security I use a VPN which is required by my employer. Constellation has blocked the use of VPN's and has even blocked the websites that sell VPN. I had never seen this before on Constellation and wondering if other have experienced this on other ships. :mad:

Did you ask the guy in charge of the iLounge, "What's Up"? I would be interested in more info because I'm considering subscribing to a VPN for my next trip to Europe/TA back to the States.

I use a vpn for extra safety when paying bills, banking, etc when travelling. I’ve used a few different ones through the years, and found that some are blocked on Celebrity’s ships, and even more are blocked from accessing their website. Considering their general level of computer technology-related expertise, I’m slightly impressed that they are able to bar some vpns, although I’m not sure why they see the need.

I've not used VPN on a ship, but have always noticed that the documentation for the internet has said that VPN use wasn't allowed. I've also seen on here that different VPN set-up s have different results as far as actual use. My recollection is Celebrity said the bar to VPN use was due to the bandwidth.

Harris

Denver, CO

Is it a specific VPN that is blocked? I used a VPN on Constellation in April without an issue.

I'll be interested to see if this is fleet wide as I'm on Reflection next month.

I've not used VPN on a ship, but have always noticed that the documentation for the internet has said that VPN use wasn't allowed. I've also seen on here that different VPN set-up s have different results as far as actual use. My recollection is Celebrity said the bar to VPN use was due to the bandwidth.

Harris

Denver, CO

The bandwidth argument doesn't really make much sense, VPN bandwidth overhead nowadays is pretty negligible, especially as most websites are effectively VPN's with the prevalent use of TLS/SSL anyway. having said that I have yet to have any issues using my VPN's onboard. Guess I will see if that changes in September, though pretty sure I will find a way around it anyway.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Is it a specific VPN that is blocked? I used a VPN on Constellation in April without an issue.

I'll be interested to see if this is fleet wide as I'm on Reflection next month.

I had used my VPN - Express VPN and Nord on Constellation in February of last year but when on Constellation in July it was blocked. They had even blocked the websites for all the major VPN carriers. I tried all protocols to no avail.

I’ve tried a couple of VPNs the day with mixed success. Tunnel Bear wouldn’t work but my other one did ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

can you advise which one worked for you. If you don't want to post publicly an e-mail would be fine. My email is listed in my signature.

can you advise which one worked for you. If you don't want to post publicly an e-mail would be fine. My email is listed in my signature.

I can’t see the email address using the Cruise Critic app. I sent it to you when I get home in a few days and I can use my laptop.

Although I try to avoid working while on a cruise, I now have as part of my position a job that has no other available coverage. (What I mean, is no one else is trained or has access to do my job when I'm gone.) Since it is in healthcare, we are of course only able to access through a VPN. I know it would be hard to decide who qualifies, but I would wish there were some type of work around for critical situations--- I'm a physician caring for patients who are victims of assault, and it doesn't seem fair that they would have to wait for days to have follow ups done or questions answered because I can't get on a VPN? This does not sound promising for my upcoming 10 day cruise.

This brings up my next question- what is the other purpose of VPN? I have only ever used one to access work.

often also used to hide/obscure your location when downloading questionable content or movies or just to ensure your local ISP/ship network admin/government can't track and record what you are doing online.

This brings up my next question- what is the other purpose of VPN? I have only ever used one to access work.

- to enhance security on public WiFi hotspots

- to circumvent restricted access (e.g. to social media on some networks)

- to access geo-blocked content (e.g. subscription TV streaming services only available in your country of origin)