UBP Price Increase

TheDougOut

Who buys this outright? Maybe a 3rd and 4th adult sailing free in a cabin?

Next to no one. NCL raises the fictitiously-inflated face value to increase revenue from the service charge. They basically just raised cruise fares by $28 per week.

Edited by TheDougOut

Next to no one. NCL raises the fictionally-inflated face value to increase revenue from the service charge. They basically just raised cruise fares by $28 per week.

Pretty much....spot on. For us drinkers anyways.

Same thing I say about air fares, gas prices, grocery stores and cable companies.

There’s probably a difference, as this is being disguised as “tips” (which they’re not) levied against an artificially-priced “free” item. The increase has nothing to do with the item being chosen or the employees that provide the service. It’s a fare increase, again and again, to the point that the face-value cost of the package is laughable.

There’s probably a difference, as this is being disguised as “tips” (which they’re not) levied against an artificially-priced “free” item. The increase has nothing to do with the item being chosen or the employees that provide the service. It’s a fare increase, again and again, to the point that the face-value cost of the package is laughable.

Not to mention pretty horrible drink package with not much of anything included as compared to other cruise line's drink packages.

In a marketing sense, this actually accomplishes two things... First: the UBP as a promotion now looks even better to a new cruiser because the value of what you get for free is now 70 dollars more for the average cruise... Secondly: It allows NCL to claim they are giving you up to $X in promotions...

In reality, since you pay the gratuity at time of booking, this increase only applies to cruises booked after this announcement, and to people who selected the UBP... so I guess it's not such a problem.

Who buys this outright? Maybe a 3rd and 4th adult sailing free in a cabin?

No one has to buy it to feel the price increases because now gratuities also go up.

If people bought it, the drink package probably will cost more than the cruise.

I agree...it seems relentless...I don't cruise often but happen to be cruising soon and have been on the boards consistently for the past few months and don't care for what is happening. Of course it may be happening on other lines I just don't see it because I am on this board but man it is really putting a bad taste in my mouth.

Not to mention pretty horrible drink package with not much of anything included as compared to other cruise line's drink packages.

I have a mixed opinion on that. Unless we’re also comparing cruise fares, the NCL package only costs $20pp/pd, and comparing to RC, the cost difference buys several waters and coffees each day. It’s unfair to compare the NCL package cost (which nobody pays) to the RC package cost (which you have to pay if you want it). Then there’s Celebrity... which is a great deal, so long as you can stay awake.

I just saw the “new to me” Bliss DBH beer list... and I’m impressed. They’re not going a cheap-way-out there.

I have a mixed opinion on that. Unless we’re also comparing cruise fares, the NCL package only costs $20pp/pd, and comparing to RC, the cost difference buys several waters and coffees each day. It’s unfair to compare the NCL package cost (which nobody pays) to the RC package cost (which you have to pay if you want it). Then there’s Celebrity... which is a great deal, so long as you can stay awake.

I just saw the “new to me” Bliss DBH beer list... and I’m impressed. They’re not going a cheap-way-out there.

Off topic here, but are you implying Celebrity ships are a snooze fest? I like NCL, but am thinking of an 11 day southern Caribbean on Celebrity next fall...I do not want a snooze fest. Equinox is the ship. And yes, I’ll be upgrading to their premium beverage packag...

Off topic here, but are you implying Celebrity ships are a snooze fest? I like NCL, but am thinking of an 11 day southern Caribbean on Celebrity next fall...I do not want a snooze fest. Equinox is the ship. And yes, I’ll be upgrading to their premium beverage packag...
I also cruise on Celebrity and don't consider it a snooze fest.

I've cruised Celebrity twice 7 day so. carib out of san juan and definitely not a snooze fest depsite it being a very port intensive itinerary.

I also cruise on Celebrity and don't consider it a snooze fest.

Yeah, probably unfair of me to say. My last Celebrity was on Summit a few years back.

The CD from our last Dawn cruise, Dan France, is now with Celebrity. Some of his social media posts from parties look to have a fun vibe.

Now that we are Platinum there is such a wide difference in points there is no incentive for us to keep cruising NCL to get to Platinum Plus.

Carnival looks better every day....