UBP Price Increase

TheDougOut

The exclusions must not be hurting them....if you just factor in the grats as the price, it’s fairly easy to buy a special coffee or two a day and still be way ahead...Compared to buying the package on other lines and paying the grats...

Oh, and thanks for the Celebrity comments, sorry to get off topic.

Now that we are Platinum there is such a wide difference in points there is no incentive for us to keep cruising NCL to get to Platinum Plus.

Carnival looks better every day....

This makes zero sense to me. You cruised with NCL in a quest for better loyalty perks, but once you became eligible for those perks, you no longer want them?

Based on that logic, I understand your desire for Carnival. And don’t ask me what that means... as I have no idea.

Even though Carnival never "gives" you their drink package and never discounts it, it is a much better deal than NCL's.

Carnival did include drinks up to $50 each but they dropped it down last week to $20 each. Also, Carnival has a limit of 15 drinks per day. For a 7 day cruise on Carnival that is $418 pp.

Rarely does one pay for the drink package on NCL, they get it as a promo. That being said, 7 days on NCL with promo $139 pp max drink price $15 and no limit on the daily drink amount.

Now how is the Carnival drink package the better deal?

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Who buys this outright? Maybe a 3rd and 4th adult sailing free in a cabin?

There cannot be more than a handful of people who buy this outright. I never would. Only take the perk. When I do, I understand that what I'm buying is unlimited drinks for 18 dollars a day per person (20 now). That I can live with (ignore the slightly elevated room price...I'm going to drink anyway). So assuming that 70% of a ships bookings have the UBP as one of the perks a mid sized ship like the Jade will now make an extra 47, 000 per week in fees on the increase. Since these ships pay duty free prices for their booze and charge nightclub or higher fees for their drinks the profit margin is astronomical.

But as NCL knows that the perk of getting the UBP is very popular. No one is going to turn it down due to a 2 dollar a day per person (4 per day per room) increase.

AND don't forget, oil is climbing higher, they'll be nailing us with the fuel surcharge soon. MMMM...can't wait to pay more.

Carnival did include drinks up to $50 each but they dropped it down last week to $20 each. Also, Carnival has a limit of 15 drinks per day. For a 7 day cruise on Carnival that is $418 pp.

Rarely does one pay for the drink package on NCL, they get it as a promo. That being said, 7 days on NCL with promo $139 pp max drink price $15 and no limit on the daily drink amount.

Now how is Carnival the better deal?

How is Carnival the better deal? Because you are paying for the beverage package in your fare on NCL. It's extremely common to see NCL fares 30%+ higher than Carnival. They jack the prices through the roof to cover the "free" perks, then pull gimmicks like this. Their pricing is about double the typical price for the package, all so they can increase the service charge.

Even the internet, I need unlimited so have to upgrade - so yet another $100 or so. Between the 2 "free" perks, I'm out $250 and get slow internet and a highly restricted beverage package. Plus, NCL again, bakes the costs in to the fare so I'm almost certainly paying substantially more. Compare to Royal, where I can get unlimited high speed internet and a comprehensive drink package for $410 on a 7 day cruise... NCL is offering a terrible deal.

There cannot be more than a handful of people who buy this outright. I never would. Only take the perk. When I do, I understand that what I'm buying is unlimited drinks for 18 dollars a day per person (20 now). That I can live with (ignore the slightly elevated room price...I'm going to drink anyway). So assuming that 70% of a ships bookings have the UBP as one of the perks a mid sized ship like the Jade will now make an extra 47, 000 per week in fees on the increase. Since these ships pay duty free prices for their booze and charge nightclub or higher fees for their drinks the profit margin is astronomical.

But as NCL knows that the perk of getting the UBP is very popular. No one is going to turn it down due to a 2 dollar a day per person (4 per day per room) increase.

AND don't forget, oil is climbing higher, they'll be nailing us with the fuel surcharge soon. MMMM...can't wait to pay more.

I'm glad you mentioned that, duty free prices for their alcohol. I'm going to have to look and see if any of the bottles have a tax stamp on them.

Also, with the volume they buy, they have to get rock bottom pricing too. Does anyone know in Florida if you have to buy from a distributor or if you can buy direct from the manufacturer/importer?

How is Carnival the better deal? Because you are paying for the beverage package in your fare on NCL. They jack the prices through the roof to cover the "free" perks, then pull gimmicks like this. Their pricing is about double the typical price for the package, all so they can increase the service charge.

Even the internet, I need unlimited so have to upgrade - so yet another $100 or so. Between the 2 "free" perks, I'm out $250 and get slow internet and a highly restricted beverage package. Plus, NCL again, bakes the costs in to the fare so I'm almost certainly paying substantially more. Compare to Royal, where I can get unlimited high speed internet and a comprehensive drink package for $410 on a 7 day cruise... NCL is offering a terrible deal.

I think what any sensible person should be doing is calculating the TOTAL cost of a cruise. Whether Carnival charges for he drink package and NCL bakes it into the fare, or RCL "includes" the Internet package and NCL has up-charges for different levels, what it all boils down to is the bottom line. Calculate the total cost of the cruise and choose accordingly.

This is just silly now. It has more than doubled in price since I purchased it 4.5 years ago. LOL! Sure, no one buys it anymore, but it's just ridiculous.

Wow if they lost you then they should be worried. You were just defending NCL's drink package a week ago comparing it to other cruise lines.

How could anyone spend $700 plus $140 gratuity = $840 on alcohol in one week. Even if you paid me to drink 14 drinks a day, it would be a challenge and would not do it. Since your cabin mate must also get the package that is $1680. Now the question is do you want to spend money on a package you don't get value out of or take another cruise for $1680. When the alcohol costs the same or more than the cruise you know its wrong :eek:

I think what any sensible person should be doing is calculating the TOTAL cost of a cruise. Whether Carnival charges for he drink package and NCL bakes it into the fare, or RCL "includes" the Internet package and NCL, has up-charges for different levels, what it all boils down to is the bottom line. Calculate the total cost of the cruise and choose accordingly.

Exactly!

Two dollars more per person per day isn't huge, but when you see a fare that includes a beverage plan nearly $1,000 more than a sail away fare, that IS huge. And then it's another $20 a day on top of that. If someone only wanted a few drinks, they certainly would do better by taking a sail away fare and paying for drinks a la carte. Only issue is not being able to pick a cabin.

I think what any sensible person should be doing is calculating the TOTAL cost of a cruise. Whether Carnival charges for he drink package and NCL bakes it into the fare, or RCL "includes" the Internet package and NCL has up-charges for different levels, what it all boils down to is the bottom line. Calculate the total cost of the cruise and choose accordingly.

Yes but when the drink package and total cruise fare is less than NCL you have a winner.

Two dollars more per person per day isn't huge, but when you see a fare that includes a beverage plan nearly $1,000 more than a sail away fare, that IS huge. And then it's another $20 a day on top of that. If someone only wanted a few drinks, they certainly would do better by taking a sail away fare and paying for drinks a la carte. Only issue is not being able to pick a cabin.

When I booked mine, Free at Sea was cheaper than Sailaway. Also, I was comparing against Carnival and I could find nothing remotely comparable that was cheaper, in fact most were more and I would have had to purchase alcohol or the Cheers Package too.

It really just depends upon when you can sail, where from, what itinerary and what promotions are being run.

Wow if they lost you then they should be worried. You were just defending NCL's drink package a week ago comparing it to other cruise lines.

How could anyone spend $700 plus $140 gratuity = $840 on alcohol in one week. Even if you paid me to drink 14 drinks a day, it would be a challenge and would not do it. Since your cabin mate must also get the package that is $1680. Now the question is do you want to spend money on a package you don't get value out of or take another cruise for $1680. When the alcohol costs the same or more than the cruise you know its wrong :eek:

Really? I defended that I like paying the gratuities only instead of the package price. I still maintain that because I'm not a fool.

I think this is what the vast, vast majority of people do, is it not? :rolleyes:

I'm glad you mentioned that, duty free prices for their alcohol. I'm going to have to look and see if any of the bottles have a tax stamp on them.

Also, with the volume they buy, they have to get rock bottom pricing too. Does anyone know in Florida if you have to buy from a distributor or if you can buy direct from the manufacturer/importer?

Only 4 days to your next cruise....I'm so envious. Enjoy

No. NCL's marketing gimmicks would be pointless if that were the case.

No they wouldn't. Just because people book the specials doesn't mean they are getting fooled. I'm fully aware of the costs when I book any trip, cruise or not. I think most people are.

No they wouldn't. Just because people book the specials doesn't mean they are getting fooled. I'm fully aware of the costs when I book any trip, cruise or not. I think most people are.

Not that I don't appreciate your optimistic view of people, but you are giving "most people" way too much credit. There is a reason they offer promos the way they do instead of just a flat rate all inclusive fare with no gimmicks. Just like Royal does all their "sales" that aren't sales at all. One day 20% off is more expensive than 20% off the next day for the same item on the same sailing, based on hidden retail/onboard costs, etc.

In fact, JCPenney was famous for this. Once they did the one low price which was actually a better deal, it was far less effective than the neverending coupon method.

It's pretty basic marketing.

Only 4 days to your next cruise....I'm so envious. Enjoy

Thanks, I plan to.

And I'll probably forget to even look for tax stamps on the bottles. Although I am thinking of posting while I am on board. Gotta get the internet this time for work.