Must bring items for first time cruiser

trucker den

Hi and welcome to cruising! You may want to pack your swimsuits into your carry-on bags so you can use the ship's pool after you board. Also, whatever you want to wear to dinner the first night should also be in your carry-on, or worn onto the ship. Your checked luggage may not be delivered to your room until during or after dinner.

We've been cruising since April 14, 1912 and take all that we suggested and much more AND only pack and take one airline approved carry-on a piece. But that's another thread.

What airline did you use back in 1912? It's amazing that you haven't gotten bored with sailing in 105+ years!

I need to check the dates, but am I the only historian who posts on this board? The Titanic hit the infamous iceberg on April 14, 1912 about 20 - 30 minutes before midnight, and sank during the early morning hours of April 15, 1912.

The first thing we use when we enter the cabin is a small package of Lysol wipes, like other cruisers I wipe everything down, especially the remotes and phone, and all bathroom features twice (never been sick and we're almost Elite). I also use heavy duty magnets to stretch a clothes line for wet laundry on longer cruises and magnets also work as hat holders. An 8 1/2 in by 11 in plastic file pocket is useful for organizing the many papers you want to save and a small Febreeze deodorizer is handy to refreshen the bathroom. This is your vacations and pack a sense of humor and spirit of adventure, think about what you want to see on the ship the first day and develop one or more traditions. We always visit our favorite place for lunch and avoid those rushing to the buffets. My Starbuck thermos is a must for keeping beverages warm on the deck, and I do not do lanyards. Have a wonderful trip.

I need to check the dates, but am I the only historian who posts on this board? The Titanic hit the infamous iceberg on April 14, 1912 about 20 - 30 minutes before midnight, and sank during the early morning hours of April 15, 1912.

No you're not the only historian. I saw the post, noticed the date but thought that I'd let it sink without trace... Now you're trying to explore the wreckage of post from 'neverbeenthere'...

In honor of the Titanic, try reading this pre-Titanic book about an unsinkable ship - http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24880?msg=welcome_stranger

DON

We've been cruising since April 14, 1912 and take all that we suggested and much more AND only pack and take one airline approved carry-on a piece. But that's another thread.

Yes, it was very sad indeed, but neverbeenhere was one of the fortunate ones who survived by making it into a life boat, so he was able to continue cruising, and then many years later start posting on Cruise Critic.

Here is a picture of his rescue boat on that historic day.

http%3A%2F%2Fa.amz.mshcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F04%2Ftitanic-29.jpg

He was very young at the time, but still appears quite spry and youthful to this day, fortunate to still be cruising, considering his advanced age. :eek:

He was very brave and deserves a lot of credit for being willing to cruise again after that horrible experience.

Unfortunately, he was not permitted to take his suitcase off the ship into the lifeboat with him, so he needed to buy a brand new suitcase and an entire new wardrobe for future cruises, including a new tux, because they still had formal nights back then.

Even so, with his superb packing skills he was still able to pack everything, including the tux and special shoes, his fishing, golfing, kite flying and snorkeling gear, inflatable kayak, hammock for the balcony, plus the allowed two bottles of wine, into the one new suitcase for all his future cruises.

I believe he has been the passenger awarded the "oldest cruiser" award at the Captain's Celebration on all his recent Celebrity Cruises, for at least the last decade.

But sadly he loses that competition to other, even older passengers when he cruises with Holland America.

Edited by varoo

The first thing we use when we enter the cabin is a small package of Lysol wipes, like other cruisers I wipe everything down, especially the remotes and phone, and all bathroom features twice (never been sick and we're almost Elite). I also use heavy duty magnets to stretch a clothes line for wet laundry on longer cruises and magnets also work as hat holders. ...

We are elite plus and have never wiped anything down and have also never been sick once on a cruise!

I don't know specifics, but my wife brings some kind of blow up clothes hanger that she uses when she hand washes shirts...supposedly they dry faster than hanging on line??

We also bring small magnets with hooks to hang hats and jacket/windbreakers.

We always bring an over the door shoe holder. Goes over the inside of the bathroom door. All our toiletries are stored in plain view and not cluttering the bathroom shelves. Got this tip on cruise critic many years ago.

88711ca633426adda4749de66f76b6f8.jpg

Me too! One of my favorite tips! I hate the "clutter" that gathers on the limited counter spaces on ships....We leave the middle right hand side pocket open to put our key cards in when we enter the room so we don't lose them. We have lent our shoe holder to so many people, that it has been on almost 20 cruises, even though we have only been on 9, lol!

Yes, it was very sad indeed, but neverbeenhere was one of the fortunate ones who survived by making it into a life boat, so he was able to continue cruising, and then many years later start posting on Cruise Critic.

Here is a picture of his rescue boat on that historic day.

http%3A%2F%2Fa.amz.mshcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F04%2Ftitanic-29.jpg

He was very young at the time, but still appears quite spry and youthful to this day, fortunate to still be cruising, considering his advanced age. :eek:

He was very brave and deserves a lot of credit for being willing to cruise again after that horrible experience.

Unfortunately, he was not permitted to take his suitcase off the ship into the lifeboat with him, so he needed to buy a brand new suitcase and an entire new wardrobe for future cruises, including a new tux, because they still had formal nights back then.

Even so, with his superb packing skills he was still able to pack everything, including the tux and special shoes, his fishing, golfing, kite flying and snorkeling gear, inflatable kayak, hammock for the balcony, plus the allowed two bottles of wine, into the one new suitcase for all his future cruises.

I believe he has been the passenger awarded the "oldest cruiser" award at the Captain's Celebration on all his recent Celebrity Cruises, for at least the last decade.

But sadly he loses that competition to other, even older passengers when he cruises with Holland America. quote]

I hope he had insurance that paid for all of that---Tuxes are expensive...

LOL and how was your cabin on the Titanic?

The only cruise specific extras for me are a battery tea light 'candle' for the bathroom at night cos it's pitch black and I don't want to jolt myself awake with the cabin light, big magnetic clips (so many uses) and a lanyard (no pockets in most sun dresses)

Just OTC meds. Pack simply, layers. Small collapsible umbrella.

Have cruised for 17 days in a carry on and a tote. That included several formal nights.

It is a floating hotel with plenty of food options.

Enjoy your cruise. Bon voyage!

I real hope this is a 100 day cruise. I just can not believe you might need all these items. Well maybe it is for 4 people. Our last cruise I thought I was bring 3 pairs of shoes. I screwed up and only brought 2 pairs. Blue boat shoes and flip flops. I did just fine.

The over the door shoe holder isn’t for shoes. It’s for phones, cameras, hair brushes, suntan lotion, baseball caps, meds, deodorant, yada, yada, yada. Best hint I ever got from CC. Make sure you get see through pockets though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love the shoe holder idea! Will have to investigate for future cruises. I always bring an adapter for the outlet that converts it from one plug to three. That way we can plug in multiple things at once. Others have mentioned alcohol wipes and this is a must! Towel clips are a good idea too. But like many have said, keep the packing light and just have fun and say no to bungee cords! Oh and I do like the magnet idea too...but for me it will be to put on the outside of my cabin door so that I can easily find my way home after a drink package filled day!

Love the shoe holder idea! Will have to investigate for future cruises. I always bring an adapter for the outlet that converts it from one plug to three. That way we can plug in multiple things at once. Others have mentioned alcohol wipes and this is a must! Towel clips are a good idea too. But like many have said, keep the packing light and just have fun and say no to bungee cords! Oh and I do like the magnet idea too...but for me it will be to put on the outside of my cabin door so that I can easily find my way home after a drink package filled day!

If you're sailing on an S-class ship you'll want to use two magnetic hooks in the shower with a piece of twine tied between to make a great clothesline to dry bathing suits of hand washed items.

If you're sailing on an S-class ship you'll want to use two magnetic hooks in the shower with a piece of twine tied between to make a great clothesline to dry bathing suits of hand washed items.

We used a braided elastic clothesline that has hooks on either end - we found plenty of places to hook it in the bathroom, and no magnets needed! Also works great in land-based hotel rooms. I'm pretty sure we got it on Amazon for under $10.

Or roll the items in a towel first so that they aren't dripping, them use the magnetic hooks to hang them from the ceiling near the AC outlet. They'll dry faster this way. You'll want to wait if you are expecting guests! :halo:

Bungee cords - some people use them to secure the balcony door open (if not prohibited)

Over the door organizer/shoe holder - I don't recall which cruise line but a least one listed this item as a prohibited item because it causes door damage.

Passport

$5,000 Cash in Small Bills

4 Zero Ballance credit cards with high limits

Lawyers phone #

Condoms

US Embassy contact info for whatever Country I may be near

Handheld GPS (In case the boat goes down and I miss the life raft.)

Backup battery for Handheld GPS

Compass with mirror

Ceramic Knife

1 Neck Tie

Dye marker

300 yds fly fishing line with 10 good size hooks

Hot Sauce

Towell (it's the most useful thing in the universe)

Flashlight

Extra battery for flashlight

Marine Band Handheld Radio

Extra battery for marine band handheld radio

Drumsticks

Vicodin

Penicillin

Motrin

Solar still

Ceramic MSR Water Filter

2 Rolls TP

1 6" Elastic Bandage

Coban

Gauze

Dental Floss

Lighter

Extra Lighter

Walking Cane, preferably Mahogony

Dryer Lint packed in old film canister mixed with Vasoline

Headlamp

Extra batteries for Headlamp

2 Garbage Bags

6 Medium size zip ties

Duct Tape X 100 yards

Para cord

4 Carabiners

List of phone #'s for charter helicopter services in the planned trip area

6 pieces 6" X 18" cardboard

Maps and Charts of appropriate areas

Suture kit

Reference manual on bridge operations for cruise ships in case I have to take over

Bacon

4 aglets ( I get annoyed if I don't have these)

Copy of Atlas Shrugged

Iodine tablets

Cheesecloth

Bit of Foil

1 bottle Red Wine, only to be used in case of emergency

9 forever stamps

-Just the usuals

Passport

$5,000 Cash in Small Bills

4 Zero Ballance credit cards with high limits

Lawyers phone #

Condoms

US Embassy contact info for whatever Country I may be near

Handheld GPS (In case the boat goes down and I miss the life raft.)

Backup battery for Handheld GPS

Compass with mirror

Ceramic Knife

1 Neck Tie

Dye marker

300 yds fly fishing line with 10 good size hooks

Hot Sauce

Towell (it's the most useful thing in the universe)

Flashlight

Extra battery for flashlight

Marine Band Handheld Radio

Extra battery for marine band handheld radio

Drumsticks

Vicodin

Penicillin

Motrin

Solar still

Ceramic MSR Water Filter

2 Rolls TP

1 6" Elastic Bandage

Coban

Gauze

Dental Floss

Lighter

Extra Lighter

Walking Cane, preferably Mahogony

Dryer Lint packed in old film canister mixed with Vasoline

Headlamp

Extra batteries for Headlamp

2 Garbage Bags

6 Medium size zip ties

Duct Tape X 100 yards

Para cord

4 Carabiners

List of phone #'s for charter helicopter services in the planned trip area

6 pieces 6" X 18" cardboard

Maps and Charts of appropriate areas

Suture kit

Reference manual on bridge operations for cruise ships in case I have to take over

Bacon

4 aglets ( I get annoyed if I don't have these)

Copy of Atlas Shrugged

Iodine tablets

Cheesecloth

Bit of Foil

1 bottle Red Wine, only to be used in case of emergency

9 forever stamps

-Just the usuals

And a Ukulele. Never forget the Ukulele.

Going on our first Celebrity cruise this fall (Solstice) and want to know how many plugs are in the staterooms (Aqua Class if that matters). Are they for American type plugs and where are they located? Is it true that they do not have any USB ports??

Going on our first Celebrity cruise this fall (Solstice) and want to know how many plugs are in the staterooms (Aqua Class if that matters). Are they for American type plugs and where are they located? Is it true that they do not have any USB ports??

Mr Google: "Celebrity Solstice Power Points" are you will see pictures of the items of your desire.