Must bring items for first time cruiser

trucker den

Do not forget medication against diarrhea, headache or flu. And if you are prone to getting dizzy you can use medication or sea banding.

Also a box against water to keep the cards and the money for when you go to the beach

Do not pack more things that you will not use, remember the restrictions for luggage on airplanes.

TV is terrible. So I bring a portable DVD player which I can plug into the television usually. But not always. Sometimes the tv will take AV inputs, sometimes HDMI. And sometimes it is tricky to get things actually working. If I can't get the tv to work for me, I usually have a lab top that I can play my media on. Otherwise, the portable Sony DVD player only has a small screen but is usable.

Also, I always bring an international power socket converter set. Many X ships only have a single, 2X 120V outlet. But with the converter and plug, I can also use the Europe 240V outlet. Note that power strips with surge protectors may be confiscated.

I vote for the small packable folding cubes. We take them on every single vacation. They weigh nothing and are so helpful for keeping your stateroom, hotel room or even, tent, clutter free. Keycards, sunglasses, lipstick, change, random junk my husband picks up, all get swept into there. I use it in the bathroom at hotels to keep my toiletries from spreading. And when my husband says, "Where's my....?" I just give him a look and point.

I have gone through the list of all the "must haves" on this list and all the many many many "must have" lists on CC. When I tried packing all of the stuff into my suitcase, there was no room for my clothes. Hope that you do not mind that I will be going around the ship naked.

DON

I have gone through the list of all the "must haves" on this list and all the many many many "must have" lists on CC. When I tried packing all of the stuff into my suitcase, there was no room for my clothes. Hope that you do not mind that I will be going around the ship naked.

DON

Maybe post a pic and put it up to a vote?;p

For those suggesting packing cubes. I pack with the various size ones. Is that what you are talking about for storage in the cabins or are there real cubes you mean? We had enough drawers on the Summit but are going on Silhouette next year and want to be prepared.

There are so many opinions of what is necessary. The following is mine:

Medications with several extra days just in case

Outlet adapter to add outlets if you have a lot electric devices

Sunscreen

Lotion for after burning when you forget to put on the sunscreen

Magnetic nightlight - we put it on the ceiling

Sunglasses

If you have to fly to reach your cruise port then a charging block is a good idea

Regarding clothing and packing, you really don't need to bring a lot. Wearing the same outfit twice on a 7 day cruise won't be noticed.

Also, not all cabin walls are metal. Our sky suite cabin walls were not. Only our door and ceilings were metal. We just got off the Summit yesterday.

Toiletries can be purchased in May cruise ports so if you forget anything or just don't want to pack them it's not a problem.

One dollar and five dollar (US) for tips are a great idea but not essential if you have prepaid your tips. In my limited experience though extra cash tipping does help though. Bartenders and other staff seem to remember those that tip.

Most of all I'll echo what has been said before, take a good attitude. Things will go wrong. In the scheme of things you're on vacation so just have fun and enjoy yourself. Don't sweat the small stuff. And most everything is small.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

There are so many opinions of what is necessary. The following is mine:

Medications with several extra days just in case

Outlet adapter to add outlets if you have a lot electric devices

Sunscreen

Lotion for after burning when you forget to put on the sunscreen

Magnetic nightlight - we put it on the ceiling

Sunglasses

If you have to fly to reach your cruise port then a charging block is a good idea

Regarding clothing and packing, you really don't need to bring a lot. Wearing the same outfit twice on a 7 day cruise won't be noticed.

Also, not all cabin walls are metal. Our sky suite cabin walls were not. Only our door and ceilings were metal. We just got off the Summit yesterday.

Toiletries can be purchased in May cruise ports so if you forget anything or just don't want to pack them it's not a problem.

One dollar and five dollar (US) for tips are a great idea but not essential if you have prepaid your tips. In my limited experience though extra cash tipping does help though. Bartenders and other staff seem to remember those that tip.

Most of all I'll echo what has been said before, take a good attitude. Things will go wrong. In the scheme of things you're on vacation so just have fun and enjoy yourself. Don't sweat the small stuff. And most everything is small.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Good List - Especially the attitude part - REMEMBER the STAFF are people, very nice people who are not on the ship just for you ! ASK don’t demand! Life is short so Enjoy the RIDE !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For those suggesting packing cubes. I pack with the various size ones. Is that what you are talking about for storage in the cabins or are there real cubes you mean? We had enough drawers on the Summit but are going on Silhouette next year and want to be prepared.

The s-class ships like the Silhouette has fewer drawers than M-class. The cubes referred to are foldable and measure 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" x 11. We use them in the over the bed lift up cabinets to make that space useable. Four of them fit perfectly on each side. On the S-class ships there are only shelves on the nightstands, no drawers. There is however much more storage space in the bathroom.

The s-class ships like the Silhouette has fewer drawers than M-class. The cubes referred to are foldable and measure 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" x 11. We use them in the over the bed lift up cabinets to make that space useable. Four of them fit perfectly on each side. On the S-class ships there are only shelves on the nightstands, no drawers. There is however much more storage space in the bathroom.

Thanks. We found the storage in the bathroom more than adequate so on the S class, it should be great. I've got 50 weeks to buy the cubes.

I always bring the travel sized duct tape. It's come in handy on several occasions. I also use it on the "Do Not Disturb" sign. Put it on the back of the sign so when you hang it over the handle the backing sticks to the door. The draft of the next door neighbor opening and closing their door always seems to blow them off the handle.

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Don't forget to have a great time and take lots of photos to share with family and friends...copies of all documents are very important, along with any medications that you even think you may need. Also remember to smile a lot and make new friends. If you forget an item, usually you can deal with it. Quite a few who cruise do not have their luggage for a few days due to airline issues or whatever, but it always amazes me how they do go on and have an excellent cruise. This happened to my cousins, but they made the best of it! So, if you see people in the same clothes several days, this might have happened to them!

if your going off the ship you need your passport too so bring something water proof you can carry your passport,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This made me smile. My husband's and my passports were in a fireproof box that was water-damaged in Hurricane Irma. They look a little the worse for wear, but they were ok for a recent trip to England, and worked on the Global Entry kiosk. :)

We've been cruising since April 14, 1912 and take all that we suggested and much more AND only pack and take one airline approved carry-on a piece. But that's another thread.

What airline did you use back in 1912? It's amazing that you haven't gotten bored with sailing in 105+ years!

I used to worry that I was packing too much. Now I take whatever I want or think I’ll need and feel comfortable knowing it’s there! Always take lots of “what ifs” but who cares? Totally appreciate hearing about what others take and have gotten some good ideas over the years. Thanks to all who post those ideas!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh my, I can not top this list. Thank you, DON, that your camera broke! We just had friends return from a cruise where he lost his cell phone and wallet in the water — so bring the best water proof for the valuables!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DON

If you would have packed duct tape you could have made a speedo out of the duct tape. However extreme caution is required when removing. ;p