Must bring items for first time cruiser

trucker den

Sorry why did you put DELETED. Was only suggesting something for first time cruisers that would help them not get sick. Duct tape, extra hangers, high liters etc are good suggestions but I was only trying to help . What was offensive about my post for you to Delete!

Sorry why did you put DELETED. Was only suggesting something for first time cruisers that would help them not get sick. Duct tape, extra hangers, high liters etc are good suggestions but I was only trying to help . What was offensive about my post for you to Delete!

I think you'll find that you have misinterpreted the "deleted" post. It simply means that dodger1964 posted a response then changed his/her mind and deleted it.

All that cabin sterilizing stuff is unnecessary.

Extra hangers - just ask the steward for more,

Highlighters - never been able to understand the CC obsession w highlighters as there are ball point pens in the cabin.

DON

A torch....

.... chocolate ----if you're from the UK and you dislike American chocolate ----no offence, it's just different!

The Complete Works Of Shakespeare (or something similiar) to read if you're in a queue to get into a show/going into the show lounge to go on a tour/trying to check something at the Guest Relations desk...

....a huge lens for your camera ----some sort of Freudian compensation? The looks of sympathy some guy had from others on our Greek Islands cruise last Summer!

A large quantity of your own oxygen plus a mask ----in case you inhale the air of others or you wish to improve the atmosphere in a specific venue...

...an American/English dictionary so that we can understand each other better.

Come on, everyone! Share your crazy ideas!

We like to stop at a Costco or Wahlgreen;s by a port and buy economy box or pack of snack bags (Cheezits or whatever). They don't let you bring unbagged unwrapped food off the ship in almost all ports so it's good to have something while on an excursion or in port.

You do want your 2 bottles of wine which you are allowed.

I like to bring a small battery powered alarm clock which has glow in the dark hands so I know what time it is in the middle of the night. The cabins do get dark. Most likely you will be charging your cell phone at the desk so it;s no use to you then. Of course you can get auto wakeup call in the AM.

I like to bring a light weight plastic rain parka.especially in the Caribbean. Cruise Critic sells some good ones but CVS sells just thin plastic ones which are good enough.

I also recommend getting a day size back pack which comes in handy to tote your stuff in port with. but that;s just me.

Like to put sea pass card on a lanyard and have them punch a hole in card . I noticed they started selling these good lanyards in a place right after you check in for about $8-10. To me well worth it. They can punch a hole in card there or at Guest Services on board.

Get extra sunscreen at drug store before boarding.Like posters have said they charge a lot for this on board. I also bring Bonine which I like over all the other stuff for sea sick remedy. It doesn't make you drowsy.

DW likes to bring Tide cleaning stick for getting small stains out.

I like to bring 2 swim suits so I can wear one while the other is drying. Also so I can use one in the ocean (if in Caribbean) and save one for the pool.

Bring a good attitude. Not everything will be perfect and you should not let little piddling stuff ruin your positive outlook and your cruise experience. .Don't be a Wendy Whiner. Some people like to complain and think they are showing how "cruise sophisticated' and "cruise savy" they are. Just Don't. The crew bends over backwards to make things right for you and anyone who abuses the crew is just plain rude and offensive.

Bring a good stack of singles. You will need them for tipping at pier, at hotel in taxi, on board for room service delivery etc.

Of course hat and sunglasses.

Some people like magnets to hold Daily Planner to cabin walls (which are metal).

You need good walking shoes (tennis shoes). Nuff said.

You would be surprised how handy a couple of pens are. I throw in a couple of small spiral notebooks (3x4) to keep track of daily expenses like what you've bought in port and on ship so you can control things from day to day.

The days of formal dressing are over. I don't even bring a jacket anymore.

Enjoy your cruising days.

Edited by NordicPrince

We like to stop at a Costco or Wahlgreen;s by a port and buy economy box or pack of snack bags (Cheezits or whatever). They don't let you bring unbagged unwrapped food off the ship in almost all ports so it's good to have something while on an excursion or in port.

You do want your 2 bottles of wine which you are allowed.

I like to bring a small battery powered alarm clock which has glow in the dark hands so I know what time it is in the middle of the night. The cabins do get dark. Most likely you will be charging your cell phone at the desk so it;s no use to you then. Of course you can get auto wakeup call in the AM.

I like to bring a light weight plastic rain parka.especially in the Caribbean. Cruise Critic sells some good ones but CVS sells just thin plastic ones which are good enough.

I also recommend getting a day size back pack which comes in handy to tote your stuff in port with. but that;s just me.

Like to put sea pass card on a lanyard and have them punch a hole in card . I noticed they started selling these good lanyards in a place right after you check in for about $8-10. To me well worth it. They can punch a hole in card there or at Guest Services on board.

Get extra sunscreen at drug store before boarding.Like posters have said they charge a lot for this on board. I also bring Bonine which I like over all the other stuff for sea sick remedy. It doesn't make you drowsy.

DW likes to bring Tide cleaning stick for getting small stains out.

I like to bring 2 swim suits so I can wear one while the other is drying. Also so I can use one in the ocean (if in Caribbean) and save one for the pool.

Bring a good attitude. Not everything will be perfect and you should not let little piddling stuff ruin your positive outlook and your cruise experience. .Don't be a Wendy Whiner. Some people like to complain and think they are showing how "cruise sophisticated' and "cruise savy" they are. Just Don't. The crew bends over backwards to make things right for you and anyone who abuses the crew is just plain rude and offensive.

Bring a good stack of singles. You will need them for tipping at pier, at hotel in taxi, on board for room service delivery etc.

Of course hat and sunglasses.

Some people like magnets to hold Daily Planner to cabin walls (which are metal).

You need good walking shoes (tennis shoes). Nuff said.

You would be surprised how handy a couple of pens are. I throw in a couple of small spiral notebooks (3x4) to keep track of daily expenses like what you've bought in port and on ship so you can control things from day to day.

A friendly smile & a happy disposition

Over the years, we've discovered less is best. The few things we do take are OTC meds. I got sick once and the stores were shut and I had to spend my time in port looking for a pharmacy. I get trial sizes and pack them in a zip lock. Magnet for the lanyard. Goes on the hook when in the cabin and grab it when we leave. Sunscreen because it costs a fortune on the ship. Two bottles of wine and a decent corkscrew which I buy in the port city before boarding. Extra pair of glasses as I tend to lose them and I hate having to have someone read the menu to me. I carry my own hair dryer, which is a tiny travel dryer and my own shampoo and conditioner. I mix and match the clothes but carry two swimsuits (one to wear, one to dry). I use the itinerary to form my packing list, depending on what kind of excursion or activity we have planned for the day.

My wife and I are booked on our first ever cruise. What are some essential items to bring on a cruise that you don't bring on a land based vacation? Some things I have read include magnets to hold up dailies and other papers, bungee cords to hold shut drawers and doors in case of rough seas, and clorox wipes to wipe down cabin door handles and surfaces. What else should I bring? what do people use to carry around their seapass card? TIA

I've learned to take as little as possible.

Essential:

• Identity documents: passport or birth certificate, driver's license or other government photo id (even if taking a passport)
  • Credit card
  • Prescription medications with a few days extra
  • Medical and assistive devices (CPAP, etc.)
  • Cell phone (my timepiece, alarm clock, activity reminder, flashlight, ebook, camera, email client; even if I don't use voice & text services)

Pretty much everything else can be acquired during the cruise f necessary.

Non-essential, but often useful:

• Sunglasses, (wear them outdoors, helps prevent cataracts)
  • Sunblock and aloe lotion, even when not in the Caribbean
  • Small first aid kit (bandages, alcohol swabs, analgesic)
  • Nail clipper and nail file

Other than undergarments, I generally take only a few days worth of clothing Onboard laundry services do a reasonable job with most stuff. Although I would not trust them with anything delicate or that I really liked.

regarding the sea pass cards - I've seen clips on youtube of passengers having these around their neck in a plastic case.... I assumed celebrity provided these sea pass holders - is this not the case?

you can purchase a lanyard on board for about $8 , but your better off getting one from dollar store and when you get on board go to guest services and they will punch a hole in your card for you. or your can go to walmart and get one with the plastic ID card holder still about $3.....I went to Michael's and bought some silver chain and lobster claw hooks and anchor charms and made my own...little fancier so it looks nice when I dress for evening and some times I just keep it in a wrist-let purse cause I always have my camera or phone with me

You will definitely need to bring an extra suitcase to carry all the useless items that people will tell you to bring.

DON

Why are you so negative Don If you don't want to read these questions or reply's then don't :) but keep your negative words to yourself and your life may be happier :)

Why are you so negative Don If you don't want to read these questions or reply's then don't :) but keep your negative words to yourself and your life may be happier :)

Yes, it seems a couple people got upset, thinking others were packing too much. If I end up taking an extra suitcase because I've packed extra items I feel I'll need based on my other cruises, so what?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

sorry i meant to delete the whole post, not just the comment...

I found NOTHING to be offensive, but if you really want to know.....I was just trying to make a joke about not being a germaphobe...but I find jokes don't come across the same way as if we were sitting and having a drink vs. reading on a message board.

Edited by dodger1964

sorry i meant to delete the whole post, not just the comment...

I found NOTHING to be offensive, but if you really want to know.....I was just trying to make a joke about not being a germaphobe...but I find jokes don't come across the same way as if we were sitting and having a drink vs. reading on a message board.

No worries. I wasn't offended. [emoji846]. You saying items that others find necessary for them are useless can be construed maybe differently than you intend.

Waterproof money box for the beach - ebay

Good idea on the waterproof case. It does tell you that OP will have to eventually decide for themself as many will say, they don't need one. I like opinions, for it is like betting on a horse race, everyone has an opinion even if they don't express it.

Bought mine, thin style, at a dive shop. It is great for any off ship trip to hold credit cards, sea pass card, cash. It has a lanyard attached and I loop it around my shorts pocket and put in front pocket. It goes with me when snorkeling too as my swim trunks have a cargo pocket and a D ring.

Yes, it seems a couple people got upset, thinking others were packing too much. If I end up taking an extra suitcase because I've packed extra items I feel I'll need based on my other cruises, so what?

Good attitude!

We are actually taking a 3rd suit case on our next cruise as we are bringing snorkeling gear including fins which we typically do not bring. That decision allows me to bring a few other items I might have left at home, like another pair of shoes, duct tape, bungie cord with clips for drying stuff, etc.

Have a great cruise!!:)

Good attitude!

We are actually taking a 3rd suit case on our next cruise as we are bringing snorkeling gear including fins which we typically do not bring. That decision allows me to bring a few other items I might have left at home, like another pair of shoes, duct tape, bungie cord with clips for drying stuff, etc.

Have a great cruise!!:)

Twice we have brought along air mattresses to use at beaches and that means a third suitcase! But we enjoyed them. Our next cruise is in a week and we aren't taking them this time. Sometimes we can do 11 days with just carry on, sometimes we check one or two bags. But we always have fun! Hope your next cruise is great!!

You should make this a checklist! This is great. I'm going to C&P your post and use it when I pack. :halo:

While I might have worded it differently, Don isn't totally wrong. The OP originally asked what was ESSENTIAL to pack. Many PPs seem to either be posting "nice to haves", or have an inflated sense of what is essential. And an undiscriminating newbie might believe that these items are essential, necessitating an entire extra suitcase (or 2). Only to find out that 99% of the stuff was never needed. Thus not essential.

You may enjoy schlepping extra baggage around (and paying a lot of $$$ to the airlines for the privilege). Some of us don't. And since this is a discussion forum, I don't see why Don can't voice his opinion, whether you agree with it or not.

While I might have worded it differently, Don isn't totally wrong. The OP originally asked what was ESSENTIAL to pack. Many PPs seem to either be posting "nice to haves", or have an inflated sense of what is essential. And an undiscriminating newbie might believe that these items are essential, necessitating an entire extra suitcase (or 2). Only to find out that 99% of the stuff was never needed. Thus not essential.

You may enjoy schlepping extra baggage around (and paying a lot of $$$ to the airlines for the privilege). Some of us don't. And since this is a discussion forum, I don't see why Don can't voice his opinion, whether you agree with it or not.

Applying your definition - essential items - Nothing other than your passport, ticket and credit card- if you forget anything else or need any clothes there's shops on board or you can try asking your cabin steward.

Emphasis on the OPs use of the word "ESSENTIAL " is misleading as the OP goes on to talk about paper magnets and sea pass card holders - I think most people of sound mind might agree that whilst these might be useful they are not strictly essential . So I think the OPs use of the word essential has some scope built in.

We park within 50ft of the ship so taking extra luggage for us is an essential luxury that we don't get to have when we take a land based holiday involving flying

Edited by DYKWIA

There are clips on youtube from a lady who has done heaps of cruises on Princess cruises mainly and she does tips on what to pack / what not to pack

she said for a 7 night cruise she can get by with just a carry on.... ours is 12 nights... wife & I are taking a suitcase each plus a carry on. Wife is planning on going to factory shops in Sydney Australia after our cruise!

Applying your definition - essential items - Nothing other than your passport, ticket and credit card- if you forget anything else or need any clothes there's shops on board or you can try asking your cabin steward.

Emphasis on the OPs use of the word "ESSENTIAL " is misleading as the OP goes on to talk about paper magnets and sea pass card holders - I think most people of sound mind might agree that whilst these might be useful they are not strictly essential . So I think the OPs use of the word essential has some scope built in.

We park within 50ft of the ship so taking extra luggage for us is an essential luxury that we don't get to have when we take a land based holiday involving flying

We had a guy in the immigration line with a carry on, he’d done 12 nights and his daughter was celebrating the fact he did it. I on the other hand want choice. Bring whatever you think will work for you. Last cruise I made a list of what was not used and it won’t be getting packed again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums