Must bring items for first time cruiser

trucker den

Hi trucker den

When we first started cruising we wondered the same thing and found these item the most useful thought the years

1. Magnets and magnetic hooks ( they are good to use on the walls)

2. Chlorox wipes/ travel sized Lysol spray (for the hard to reach places)

3. A few extra hangers (or ask your stateroom attendant for some on day one)

4. I also ask my stateroom attendant for an extra blanket on day one as well

5. Tape (trust me lol)

6. Flashlight and or mini battery operated lantern

7. Corkscrew

8. My husband is a beer drinker so he brings a 40oz plastic painters mixing cup that holds one beer and ice. Yes he should just drink faster but oh well

9. Travel sized tide packets

My wife and I are booked on our first ever cruise. What are some essential items to bring on a cruise that you don't bring on a land based vacation? Some things I have read include magnets to hold up dailies and other papers, bungee cords to hold shut drawers and doors in case of rough seas, and clorox wipes to wipe down cabin door handles and surfaces. What else should I bring? what do people use to carry around their seapass card? TIA

Vacation on land and sea are pretty much the same....it is a floating hotel. Bring sun screen..cost you a fortune on ship and in port. The only thing besides good sensible walking shoes I would suggest is for when on excursions water shoes...and if you snorkel or want to bring your own mask and mouth breather........I personally don't won't their mouth piece that has bee used by 100 000s of people.

for my cabin I bring a bottle of liquid hand soap.and bathroom spray.......very small space, spray is a polite thing to do......just sayin. As for the hand soap ..they give you tiny bars but usually no soap dish I hate the mess on the counters........

I take a picture of the main page of our passports and have it on my phone. You could do the same thing with your credit card info. It doesn't need to be coded if your phone is password protected. Also, if you take any prescription meds pack a couple of extra days worth. Never know about travel delays. For any trip involving surrendering your suitcases to a third party, cross packing is always a good idea.

We don't pack 95% of the stuff mentioned on these lists. The only extra we pack aside from normal clothing and toiletries are clorox wipes, a small bluetooth speaker that never leaves the cabin (not even the balcony...people don't want to hear your music). I'm an anti-clutter person so things hanging from the walls and doors would drive me nuts.

I take a picture of the main page of our passports and have it on my phone..

I scan my passport and save to an email. If I need to access it I would just log in to my account. I put nothing on my phone with my personal information or banking etc....even with a password it is easy to hack in if you loose your phone....Identity thieves are everywhere. My husband had his stolen by using his debit card if a very popular restaurant.

I don't agree with many of the must brings, but I always bring a flashlight. After our ship completly lost power years ago off the coast of Mexico it was totally dark except for the green 'Exit' signs. First thing I bought when I got off the ship in Manzanillo was a flashlight.

Always heard you should bring duct tape in case the zipper on your suitcase breaks!

That happened to us a few years ago. Luckily we were doing a pre cruise stay so we were able to find a store in Vancouver to buy duct tape. Needless to say we now pack a roll of duct tape. Something I thought we'd never pack.

Yikes... I want a light suitcase

we always bring magnets and a highlighter plus OTC in case of illness, a few clothespins and a short bit of nylon rope

I don't understand the need to load luggage with cubes. We have always been able to keep our clothes neat and there are lots of drawers in the bathroom for toiletries

The only extras we make sure we bring are some clothes pins to dry bathing suits on the back of our balcony chairs (we bring them inside when we are at night on sea days or windy days), a small non surge protected usb wall outlet charger, a waterproof bag that we can take with us in the ocean if we both want to get wet at the same time, good earphones and a good pre downloaded Spotify playlist. Don't over pack... it is amazing how far one pair of black slacks can go with nice blouses. I will bring a hi-lighter next time...have never done that, but so simple and smart. I also have had to go many times down to guest relations because I constantly forget and demagnetize my key card.. something to keep in mind.

regarding the sea pass cards - I've seen clips on youtube of passengers having these around their neck in a plastic case.... I assumed celebrity provided these sea pass holders - is this not the case?

Nope. However you can purchase them on the ship.

Nope. However you can purchase them on the ship.

ok thanks for that - I think I have a couple here at home that wife & I got when we had VIP seats for a Justin Timberlake Concert a couple of years ago... so I will bring them.

regarding the sea pass cards - I've seen clips on youtube of passengers having these around their neck in a plastic case.... I assumed celebrity provided these sea pass holders - is this not the case?

Save yourself a fortune and get one off ebay for a 1/20 of the price :-)

If driving to the port brink along a slab or two of your favourite non alcoholic drinks, put a luggage tag on them and have them delivered to your room. We find it useful to have plenty of decent water quality bottled water in the cabin.

My wife brings along her favourite coffee blend for the cabin. When sailing from the UK Celebrity put tea and coffee making facilities in the cabins.

We find driving to the port (and parking right next to the ship) allows us to bring along lots of "just in case" stuff (such as medicines and ointments) that can be insanely expensive should you need them on board. If we fly we probably wouldn't bother.

A few of our favourite sweets and savouries sometimes find there way onboard.

Something we've also started packing are those brightly coloured towel clips (You can get a pack of about 8 on ebay VERY cheaply). It can be windy on deck and not only do they keep your towels in place but it also can help identify your lounger (our table mates knew where to find us by looking out for a two loungers with bright red clips on them).

As both my wife and I do a digital detox on holiday - leaving the wifi off and phone only brought for emergencies we tend to bring a note of the price of things we might be interested in picking up Tax Free - Me - camera stuff and whisky / brandy my wife cigarettes and perfume. Some prices on board (and in ports) are not bargains even in the Duty Free Shops!

If there's space in the case we will sometimes pack a few extra coat hangers.

I don't understand the need to load luggage with cubes. We have always been able to keep our clothes neat and there are lots of drawers in the bathroom for toiletries

I have to admit that I too was very skeptical for quite some time, as was my DW, but I finally purchased a set after reading countless posts on CC praising them. By time we returned home from the first cruise using cubes, I was completely sold on them and my DW was demanding a set! After several cruises, we find that they are particularly useful when we stay in hotels for a night or more before embarkation. You can get to any item in seconds without having to worry about unpacking layers to get at it.

Although we purchased them primarily for cruising, they really proved their worth during a two week driving holiday through the Maritimes and Newfoundland last September. Many of our stays were in B&B's with no elevators but often with tight staircases with many twists and turns. Suitcases would have been extremely hard to manage, but a couple of large gym bags were perfect for carrying and, thanks to the cubes, our clothes were as neat as if they had been packed in a suitcase.

My wife and I are booked on our first ever cruise. What are some essential items to bring on a cruise that you don't bring on a land based vacation? Some things I have read include magnets to hold up dailies and other papers, bungee cords to hold shut drawers and doors in case of rough seas, and clorox wipes to wipe down cabin door handles and surfaces. What else should I bring? what do people use to carry around their seapass card? TIA

Depends how long your cruise is and how much you want to make it your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yikes... I want a light suitcase

we always bring magnets and a highlighter plus OTC in case of illness, a few clothespins and a short bit of nylon rope

The cubes are fabric and fold flat and weigh only a few ounces each. DH and I put 4 in the bottom of each suitcase. They take up virtually no space and add little weight. (less than a pound for all 8). I didn't see the need for them either, but tried them on a whim. Now I wouldn't go without them on an S-class ship. They were also very inexpensive since I purchased them at the local dollar store.

For first timer .Be aware of Noro Virus. Do not touch hand rails, elevator buttons (knuckles only) do dot shake hands (fist bumps especially with ppl in wheel chairs). Take good hand sanitizer (research Zoonos 24 hour protection or CVS) for Noro must contain BZK ( just google it). Wipe down plane arm rests hotel and room with Clorox wipes. I am not a germaphobe but when I have spent a lot of money on a holiday I try to minimize chances of getting sick. Sorry this message sounds like a downer but better be safe than sorry. Enjoy!

For first timer .Be aware of Noro Virus. Do not touch hand rails, elevator buttons (knuckles only) do dot shake hands (fist bumps especially with ppl in wheel chairs). Take good hand sanitizer (research Zoonos 24 hour protection or CVS) for Noro must contain BZK ( just google it). Wipe down plane arm rests hotel and room with Clorox wipes. I am not a germaphobe but when I have spent a lot of money on a holiday I try to minimize chances of getting sick. Sorry this message sounds like a downer but better be safe than sorry. Enjoy!

Or just wash your hands with soap and water before eating anything and try not to touch your face. Use hand sanitizer if running water isn't readily available. And relax. You can't sterilize the world, no matter how hard you try. :rolleyes:

Now back to the topic of the thread.

I scan my passport and save to an email. If I need to access it I would just log in to my account. I put nothing on my phone with my personal information or banking etc....even with a password it is easy to hack in if you loose your phone....Identity thieves are everywhere. My husband had his stolen by using his debit card if a very popular restaurant.

Email is incredibly NOT secure, so you might want to re-think this. As email bounces around the Internet it is stored on up to a dozen servers and is in plain text, available for anyone with access to read. I'm a small webhost and can read the emails of every one of my clients.

A photo copy of your passport kept in your possession is a million times safer than in email. A rare exception is the encrypted email services like Proton Mail, and only then if you send from an encrypted email program to that mailbox.

One thing I haven't seen, which is free, and small...packets of salt you get at a fast food restaurant.

The dining room has very chunky salt. Maybe I just don't know how to make the chunks smaller. But it takes up so little space, why not.

deleted