A Regal Review - December 10th - 17th to the Eastern Caribbean

Guest arowe6

Thanks for sharing! Great write up! We're on the Regal 1/14. Was on it last in Feb 2015. I remember many of the parts of the ship from your pics. Thanks for those! I wish we could be in the presidential suite. Nice!!

Thank you for bringing back memories! Needed that today. We were on the same cruise and I agree with you about a lot of it including the guitarist. We never stopped to listen but walking by when she was playing encouraged us to walk more quickly. Loved all of the comedy though!

Your photos are great. The one you took, apparently from the seawalk (posted above the penny slots and below your winning photo) is amazing. I'll have to try to get that shot when I reboard her in November. I really, really like it. I pretty much agree with your review. I had one of my best cruises in October (repo) on the Regal. I sail her every year for the repo, with a large group from CC for the Halloween, known as the Regal Retreaters. I used to love the CB but Regal took the CB's place for my fav. Thanks again.

Maureen

Guest arowe6
Are you all talking about the lady guitarist who did Janis Joplin, Johnny Cash etc.?

Yep... that was her. And I LOVE Janis, just not her rendition. We heard her sing the sameeee things over the course of the cruise too. Not my cup of tea.:o

Guest arowe6
Thank you for bringing back memories! Needed that today. We were on the same cruise and I agree with you about a lot of it including the guitarist. We never stopped to listen but walking by when she was playing encouraged us to walk more quickly. Loved all of the comedy though!

In all the cruises we’ve been on, we’ve NEVER made it to a comedy show. It’s on my list, along with balcony dining...

-Andrew :)

Guest arowe6
Your photos are great. The one you took, apparently from the seawalk (posted above the penny slots and below your winning photo) is amazing. I'll have to try to get that shot when I reboard her in November. I really, really like it. I pretty much agree with your review. I had one of my best cruises in October (repo) on the Regal. I sail her every year for the repo, with a large group from CC for the Halloween, known as the Regal Retreaters. I used to love the CB but Regal took the CB's place for my fav. Thanks again.

Maureen

She is a great ship with great crew! :)

Thanks for your review. We were on this cruise also and and enjoyed the calm seas and nice weather. We tried the Sanctuary this trip and enjoyed the quiet and comfort and service. The speed of the internet was great and we were able to use it on Princess Cays, on the balcony and to stream a TV show with no problems. It was on 24 hours a day at no charge to Platinum and Elite. Dare we hope Princess will continue this system across the fleet?:D

Thanks for posting your review. I almost booked us on this cruise but we went for the extra three days by booking the Royal instead. We're catching up by sailing on the Regal next month. Still waiting for our cabin assignment. We took an upsell to a suite for the Royal but I doubt we'll ever get such as sweet offer again.

Did you do many of the organized shipboard activities? Attend the evening cocktail parties or the LGBT gatherings? How about the production shows?

Edited by geoherb

Sailing with Geoherb on the Regal in Feb. Thank you for your review! Also thank you for the picture of the Royal. We were docked behind you. The window from our suite was on the port side just below the bridge. We had the same view as the Bridge cam with slanting walls in our cabin. I recommend the balcony dining! We've done it to celebrate special occasions and it is fun when we're sailing away from a port at sunset. I also watch the sail aways prior to our cruise on the Port Everglades webcam! Fun to see the ships depart! Watching Men's figure skating tonight after our hockey team got beat 7-1 by the Boston Bruins. Again, thank you for your review! CPASam

Guest arowe6
Thanks for posting your review. I almost booked us on this cruise but we went for the extra three days by booking the Royal instead. We're catching up by sailing on the Regal next month. Still waiting for our cabin assignment. We took an upsell to a suite for the Royal but I doubt we'll ever get such as sweet offer again.

Did you do many of the organized shipboard activities? Attend the evening cocktail parties or the LGBT gatherings? How about the production shows?

Hey there!

Sorry for the delay in responding. Been a busy few days...

I greatly enjoyed following along with your Royal thread. :)

Never did any organized shipboard activities. But they were pushing the wine tasting and chef's table dinner hard.

We did attend the champagne waterfall for the first formal night. Always a good time.

Never went to any LGBT gatherings, but they were daily (I think) and advertised in the patter. And always held at the bar in the far aft behind the Horizon Court. Maybe called the Outrigger?

They had 3 production shows on board (plus the comedian). One show we had no desire to see, one we missed because the dinner in Sabatinis ran long, and one we attended..... but I can't remember any of the names. Sorry that wasn't much help!

Thanks for the great review and photos! We leave on the Regal on the 21st and being 3 years removed from our last Princess Cruise (and our 9th total) I will be interested to see if there is a downgrade of service and quality. The "Princess Way" of doing things is so much the reason that we have usually sailed with them and I would be very disappointed to see any of that going downhill!! Thanks again for your report.

Thanks for the great review and photos! We leave on the Regal on the 21st and being 3 years removed from our last Princess Cruise (and our 9th total) I will be interested to see if there is a downgrade of service and quality. The "Princess Way" of doing things is so much the reason that we have usually sailed with them and I would be very disappointed to see any of that going downhill!! Thanks again for your report.

Super delayed in responding to this, but I hope you're having a wonderful time on your cruise!!! :)

Your reviews are always fun to read! ❤️ the Regal, she was our first ship to sail on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As always Andrew, a fun review, and your usual terrific photos. You should have gotten a hat too.

Karen

Thank you both so much. My little way of giving back to the CC community.

Thank you both so much. My little way of giving back to the CC community.

Thanks so much for your review.

I have to say I agree with many of your comments. In not happy with the nickel and dime thing they have going on, specifically the extra charge in CG and very disappointed in the changes to the drink package.

I’ve been saying the same thing to my husband about trying other lines. I’m curious What cruise lines were you considering?

We’ve done Princess for so long I’m not sure what to do. Don’t think I want to go back to Royal Caribbean or Carnival. I’m not sure about Celebrity, they seem to only care about you with status or a suite. Oceania? I’ve heard if you do them may as well just do Regent. I thought about Regent but the price point is so much higher.

Thanks again for your review

Jenny

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
Guest arowe6
Thanks so much for your review.

I have to say I agree with many of your comments. In not happy with the nickel and dime thing they have going on, specifically the extra charge in CG and very disappointed in the changes to the drink package.

I’ve been saying the same thing to my husband about trying other lines. I’m curious What cruise lines were you considering?

We’ve done Princess for so long I’m not sure what to do. Don’t think I want to go back to Royal Caribbean or Carnival. I’m not sure about Celebrity, they seem to only care about you with status or a suite. Oceania? I’ve heard if you do them may as well just do Regent. I thought about Regent but the price point is so much higher.

Thanks again for your review

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Life got in the way and I haven’t been on CC in a while.....

We’ve been considering both Celebrity and Holland America.

We have friends who’ve cruised nothing but Celebrity and they swear by it. Our friends are very similar to us, work in the same industry, live the same type of life, etc. And they completely rave about it.

For Holland America, I understand it’s an older clientele (don't care about that), and I actually have no friends who’ve cruised that line. But it “comes across” as a bit higher end than Princess. I could be way off, but advertising works wonders. It just seems subtle yet upscale.

We value good service, food, and not feeling like we’re being nickle and dime’ed to death. No problems paying more to get more.

But Unfortunately, Princess isn’t hitting those buckets anymore.

I hope that helps!

I have a question. You said there was an additional charge in the Crown Grill besides the $29/pp? When did that start, and what all is affected by that?

If you have more than one main entree it’s an extra $10.

It’s been like that for a year maybe?

The lobster is gross and rubbery there, in my opinion. So we don’t get it but you can get extra appetizers at no cost

If you have more than one main entree it’s an extra $10.

It’s been like that for a year maybe?

The lobster is gross and rubbery there, in my opinion. So we don’t get it but you can get extra appetizers at no cost

Thanks. Haven't cruised in about 1.5 years, so this was news to me. We usually get an entree each and one to split, so I'm bummed that that would now be $39/pp. Seems a lot of people are frustrated with the nickel and diming that Princess is doing now. I also have a couple of coffee cards left from previous cruises, not sure how to use them now, lol.

Hi Jenny,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Life got in the way and I haven’t been on CC in a while.....

We’ve been considering both Celebrity and Holland America.

We have friends who’ve cruised nothing but Celebrity and they swear by it. Our friends are very similar to us, work in the same industry, live the same type of life, etc. And they completely rave about it.

For Holland America, I understand it’s an older clientele (don't care about that), and I actually have no friends who’ve cruised that line. But it “comes across” as a bit higher end than Princess. I could be way off, but advertising works wonders. It just seems subtle yet upscale.

We value good service, food, and not feeling like we’re being nickle and dime’ed to death. No problems paying more to get more.

But Unfortunately, Princess isn’t hitting those buckets anymore.

I hope that helps!

Hi Andrew, thanks for checking back in and replying!! I appreciate it and always love your reviews!

I’ll be curious to hear how you like either of the other lines. Right now all the cruises we have booked are on Princess but I’m starting to look into Oceania and Regent. I’m not sure I want to pay that much extra yet. I just know I don’t want the masses of kids on Royal Caribbean and Carnival (even though I have my own kids) [emoji23]

I’ve briefly considered Celebrity but the reviews are mixed about their service and food. I think the class of ship makes a difference so I think I need to start researching them as well [emoji6]

Thanks again

Jenny

Thanks. Haven't cruised in about 1.5 years, so this was news to me. We usually get an entree each and one to split, so I'm bummed that that would now be $39/pp. Seems a lot of people are frustrated with the nickel and diming that Princess is doing now. I also have a couple of coffee cards left from previous cruises, not sure how to use them now, lol.

If you only get one extra main, it would be $29 for one person and $39 for the other. Not quite $39 each but still frustrating

You can use your old cards for coffee but no free drip or tea. You can still get them for a hole punch but yes, many frustrated Princess passengers with all the cut backs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk