Hotel Service Charge increasing $1

JennysUncle

Announced in Oct 1 travel agent newsletter:

Update to Hotel Service Charges

For all sailings departing prior to December 1, 2018 as well as the 2019 Grand World Voyage and the 2019 Grand South America Antarctica Voyage, the daily Hotel Service Charge is $13.50* per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $15.00* per guest per day for suite guests.

For sailings departing on or after December 1, 2018, the daily Hotel Service Charge is $14.50* per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $16.00 per guest per day for suite guests.

For more details, please visit the Shipboard Life section of Frequently Asked Questions on our website at hollandamerica.com.

Found this by following the "PartnerSHIPS Portal" link at very bottom of HAL website.

Edited by Jenny's uncle
removing extraneous HTML formatting commands

Announced in Oct 1 travel agent newsletter:

Update to Hotel Service Charges

For all sailings departing prior to December 1' date=' 2018 as well as the 2019 Grand World Voyage and the 2019 Grand South America Antarctica Voyage, the daily Hotel Service Charge is $13.50* per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $15.00* per guest per day for suite guests.[/font']

For sailings departing on or after December 1, 2018, the daily Hotel Service Charge is $14.50* per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $16.00 per guest per day for suite guests.

For more details, please visit the Shipboard Life section of Frequently Asked Questions on our website at hollandamerica.com.

Found this by following the "PartnerSHIPS Portal" link at very bottom of HAL website.

Thanks for the info.

I edited your post in my quote to make it a bit easier to read. Hope that is ok.

Here's the full announcement (in red). Note the confirmation that all HSC goes to the crew:

Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as Dining Room wait staff and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account.

For all sailings departing prior to December 1, 2018 as well as the 2019 Grand World Voyage and the 2019 Grand South America Antarctica Voyage, the daily Hotel Service Charge is $13.50* per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $15.00* per guest per day for suite guests.

For sailings departing on or after December 1, 2018, the daily Hotel Service Charge is $14.50* per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $16.00* per guest per day for suite guests.

*The charges are subject to change without notice.

If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage. The Hotel Service Charge is paid entirely to Holland America Line crew members, and represents an important part of their compensation. A 15% Bar Service Charge is automatically added to bar charges and Dining Room wine purchases. In terminals, airports, ports of call and on shore excursions, we suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary local practices.

Edited by kazu

I have no problem with this so long as no crew member expects an additional cent or peso from me while I am on my vacation.

I've never seen a HAL crew member 'expect' an additional tip. what we give (and we choose to do so) is very appreciated but it has NEVER been expected in all my cruises.

Edited by kazu

I've never seen a HAL crew member 'expect' an additional tip. what we give (and we choose to do so) is very appreciated but it has NEVER been expected in all my cruises.

I fully agree.

Yes, the increase isn't huge and I understand an increase, however, I do believe anyone already booked, should be grandfathered in under the gratuity established when booked - especially those fares already non-refundable and paid for in full.

well described and fully agree.

Peter