Online Check in and Luggage Tags

Silly question....For awhile now, we've been able to select 'Start Check In' from cruise planner (up to 3 days before). We are now one week away from our cruise. Remind me, why I would do this when still sitting in my house in Toronto? Does it just save time when at the gate? Or is it required? Also, I seem to remember printing luggage tags, but think they also could do this at the gate. Is this required as well? Attaching paper print out of our name/room info to our luggage isn't very comforting as it can rip off easily.

... Attaching paper print out of our name/room info to our luggage isn't very comforting as it can rip off easily.

You fold the paper several times and staple it around the luggage handles.

While not required, you may want to do online check-in, just to be sure you have all the info and ID documents needed. Having the boarding document will also speed your entry into the cruise termnal. Without it, they will need to look up your name on the manifest before they will even let you enter.

You can get luggage tags from the porters.

Those tags can rip off just as easily as the paper printed ones from home.

I do reusable plastic sleeves with zip ties attached (two per bag). Another alternative is to tape the tags with clear packing tape.

I laminate both sides of the paper printed luggage tags with clear plastic shipping tape. When we arrive at the hotel the night before I attach the laminated tags to the luggage with small tie-wraps. They are pretty sturdy and I have never had one come off. When we get our luggage I use a nail clipper to cut the tie-wraps and then throw the old tags away. Don't forget to punch a small hole in the prepared tags to use for the installation of the tie-wraps.

Hi Cruisers. We use plastic sleeves and wire ties for our's but if you are worried about tearing off print your tags. Cover them with clear packing tape, fold them around handle and seal together with another piece of packing tape. You can'r tear them off. You can get the tags from the porters at the terminal but they are in such a hurry to get that next tips from the ones behind you some tags get misplaced. Have a good voyage. Bob & Nancy The Villages, Florida

Thank you so much. Good tips about how to attach the luggage tags for durability.

So from above...neither has to be done beforehand, but will speed things up, right? Sounds safer to do the luggage tags ourselves.

I completed the check in process and printed our documents but cannot figure out how to print our luggage tags. When I phoned Royal Caribbean about them, they said that you can only get the tags at the port. In the past, I have always been able to print them. Am I missing something? I would rather print them myself and put them on at the hotel than have a further delay at the port.

I completed the check in process and printed our documents but cannot figure out how to print our luggage tags. When I phoned Royal Caribbean about them, they said that you can only get the tags at the port. In the past, I have always been able to print them. Am I missing something? I would rather print them myself and put them on at the hotel than have a further delay at the port.
They were on the eDocs when we printed them (or someone correct me as my husband printed them)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Luggage tags appear on Royal's website for download around 7 weeks before the cruise. Might be delayed even longer if you have Air2Sea.

Those tags can rip off just as easily as the paper printed ones from home.

I do reusable plastic sleeves with zip ties attached (two per bag). Another alternative is to tape the tags with clear packing tape.

Guess I have been lucky. In 55 cruises I have never had luggage tags, whether the paper ones printed at home or the ones supplied by the porters, come off my luggage.

Hope I didn’t just jinx myself. LOL

Luggage tags appear on Royal's website for download around 7 weeks before the cruise. Might be delayed even longer if you have Air2Sea.

Thank you. I did wonder if that would happen. They do give an example on the last page of the e-documents but say not to use it. They also indicate that if you forget your tags at home they will print them at the port. That’s why I couldn’t figure out why the person on the phone when I called Royal Caribbean would say you can only get them at the port. Confusing to say the least.

I have used the luggage tag holders for several yeas now and use the Zip Lock ties over the metal loops. Tried with the metal loops when I got the new holders but one got snagged on something in the car and got ripped off and lost. had to get a replacement tag from luggage handlers.