attaching GoPro to balcony railings for time lapse sail aways

groryjm

We're sailing on Silhouette in two weeks and I want to try an get some time lapse videos of sail aways and the fjords :cool:

I have seen a few of these types of videos that others have posted and would like to try myself, but I am unsure how to attach the GoPro to the railings securely on an S Class balcony. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I would invest in a Bogen Super Clamp ( now marketed as a Manfroto Super Clamp). The clamp costs about $30 at Adorama and comes with a standard stud that is used to attach the camera to the clamp. BUT, you also will likely need a GoPro tripod kit since I don't think that the GoPro comes with a tripod socket on the bottom like a standard camera.

Hello,

Well what I did was this: Camera attached to a mini tripod (with bendy legs) placed on top the tray that the kettle (and coffee etc) comes on, that was in turn placed on the upturned waste paper basket that was placed on the balcony coffee table. It worked!:D

I recorded the whole sail-out in real time.

Regards,

Cublet

Edited by cublet
more stuff

I'm not sure why anybody would cobble together a variety of items to meet the need (and still be uncertain if it will work) when you can just get something that actually does the job right, not to mention ensure that you don't lose your camera equipment in the process.

As a person that owns a GoPro (but not used to it's full capabilities), I was going to recommend getting a hand/wrist strap to wrap around the railing, but I had to re-think that because cabin balconies and public have a wooden handrail connected by metal and attached to glass panels. The public decks do have open metal rods, but the diameter may be too small to have the wrist strap work (and I am assuming you are looking to do this from your stateroom). Then, my solution to this (after looking at my balcony photos) would be using a suction cup mount on the glass portion of the balcony enclosure. Check out the following items:

Link to the GoPro Suction Mount

to YouTube video demonstration of use

This is the approach I am investing in for my Panama Canal transit. Enjoy your cruise!

I’ve used the small rectangular double sided adhesive mounting pads and mount a gopro mount right to the railing. I leave it on all week and peel it off at the end. I set the photos at 2 frames per second and put it all together when I get home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Walter I see where your coming from but I foresee a snag. I just refound these pics on CC....

RSrail.jpg

The distance from the glass on the cabin side seems too far if you suction it to the back to reach over the rail. I wouldn't want to stick my expensive Hero 6 to the outside glass... :eek: .You could stick it to the cabin window but I was hoping for a view of just the edge of the ship and the Fjords not my back leaning over the rail.....

railgap.jpg

The gap between the upright and the glass seems big enough for a cable tie so I think I will go with Ade's suggestion of a Joby GorillaPod and tie it to the rail for security

Walter I see where your coming from but I foresee a snag. I just refound these pics on CC....

RSrail.jpg

The distance from the glass on the cabin side seems too far if you suction it to the back to reach over the rail. I wouldn't want to stick my expensive Hero 6 to the outside glass... :eek: .You could stick it to the cabin window but I was hoping for a view of just the edge of the ship and the Fjords not my back leaning over the rail.....

railgap.jpg

The gap between the upright and the glass seems big enough for a cable tie so I think I will go with Ade's suggestion of a Joby GorillaPod and tie it to the rail for security

I might suggest that you use the glass of the balcony partition to attach the suction cup mount and then you can extend the arm as needed to take away any of the ship that may be interfering with your field of view... also, you won't accidentally walk into the field of view or bump the camera if mounted to your railing.

Just a thought.

We're sailing on Silhouette in two weeks and I want to try an get some time lapse videos of sail aways and the fjords :cool:

I have seen a few of these types of videos that others have posted and would like to try myself, but I am unsure how to attach the GoPro to the railings securely on an S Class balcony. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I don't have a tip on attachment methods, as you've had plenty of those, I just wanted to suggest a great place to film; the outside deck in front of the gym, we did a time lapse when we went thru the Sounds in New Zealand last year, & they turned out amazing, it's a great spot to get an unimpeded view, & actually better than the Helicopter deck in my opinion :)

Also on this cruise and showed your post to wife. Her first words WOW how much for a copy. LOL See you on board.

Also on this cruise and showed your post to wife. Her first words WOW how much for a copy. LOL See you on board.

You have no need for my cheap attempts to record the wonders of the fjords...... You like us get to see it for real see you in 13 days :) See you on board.

....No charge anyway as I intend to post it her (via YouTube) as a Live from review. Assuming the internet works in ok :D

I do think there is an obligation to say that attaching anything to the railings (in or out of your cabin) is prohibited. You could potentially harm someone below you, not to mention losing your equipment or impeding a lifeboat (depending upon the deck. Unlikely...sure. Still, prohibited.

It's a little more bulk for traveling, but why not just take a tripod and set it up on your verandah? It would be reasonably solidly mounted, as long as you're around to keep an eye on it.. (Or you could probably take a roll of gorilla tape and tape around the legs and to the verandah.)

This one on B&H goes up 54 inches and specifically mentions having a GoPro mount. And it's all of $14.99...

B&H

I do think there is an obligation to say that attaching anything to the railings (in or out of your cabin) is prohibited. You could potentially harm someone below you, not to mention losing your equipment or impeding a lifeboat (depending upon the deck. Unlikely...sure. Still, prohibited.

Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't think anyone was going to remind people of this very important rule.

Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't think anyone was going to remind people of this very important rule.

I appreciate what you are both saying but what prompted me to consider trying this was watching others footage online. On our last cruise I took this shot.....

GoPro.JPG

This stayed attached during the 12 days of our cruise , although the chap removed the camera he left the bracket attached throughout the cruise. Perhaps being an RS on deck 11 made a difference?

This is his film of our departing Vigo (spot the hansom guy with a beard in the next door cabin)...

I appreciate what you are both saying but what prompted me to consider trying this was watching others footage online. On our last cruise I took this shot.....

GoPro.JPG

This stayed attached during the 12 days of our cruise , although the chap removed the camera he left the bracket attached throughout the cruise. Perhaps being an RS on /t// 11 made a difference?

This is his film of our departing Vigo (spot the hansom guy with a beard in the next door cabin)...

Just because someone else ignores rules is not a good enough reason to do the same. In general rules have good reasons behind them (whether we are aware of the reason or not). They are not optional or subject to your own judgment or approval, those would be called guidelines.