Lanyards

dthogue

I you wish lanyards, it is best to bring them along. I've never been offered one. As for what most cruisers do, I have no idea. I put my card in my pocket. I've seen lanyards and I've seen the wristlets that carry a card as well. It is all personal preference. Enjoy your cruise and be sure to come back with more questions for us!

No HAL does not provide free of charge lanyards but they do sell them in one of their shops for aprox $5.00. The ones they have stocked in the past had a plastic sleeve so the cards did not require a punched hole. Several of us use them. I personally had my room card fall out of my pocket on my very 1st cruise and ever since have used a lanyard when onboard. I also find it easier to find my card when I lay it on a counter top in the stateroom. When we go ashore or to dinner it stores neatly in one of the little bags I carry.

We have cruised before but are new to HAL! Should we bring lanyards for our cards or will they be provided? Do most cruisers wear lanyards in HAL?

We took a 15-day Alaska-Yukon-cruise trip, and HAL kindly gave us HAL-logo lanyards, which were very handy, given that we were on and off trains, buses, and planes before we got to the ship. This may be something only for the long Alaska trips.

-bruce

IMHO lanyards are a neon sign saying 'I'm a newbie'. If you can't keep track of your card without having it strapped around your neck, well then.. ;)

That’s harsh, we have been on 9 other cruises and the majority of people both newbies and seasoned cruisers wore lanyards! What do I do with the card if I don’t have pockets!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMHO lanyards are a neon sign saying 'I'm a newbie'. If you can't keep track of your card without having it strapped around your neck, well then.. ;)

This five star newbie uses a lanyard during the day for convenience. I often don’t have pockets and I don’t carry a wristlet around. However, when I dress for dinner l leave the lanyard behind and just use my husbnd's card if I need one.

This five star newbie uses a lanyard during the day for convenience. I often don’t have pockets and I don’t carry a wristlet around. However, when I dress for dinner l leave the lanyard behind and just use my husbnd's card if I need one.
I finally am going to use one on my next cruise..

hardly a newbie also but for me it has to do with keeping the card safe(easy to find as someone else said and to keep it from(hopefully) getting demagnetised

It is the easiest way to keep track of the card and to carry it around. Quite often we are wearing something that has pockets, so where would you keep it? You need to show it getting off and on the ship, so having it on a lanyard around your neck underneath a piece of clothing, out of sight, if that is a problem, until you need it is very handy and easy to reach. We found this to be no problem now for 14 cruises on Hal and a few on other ships as well.

I think more women than men use lanyards. Since you don't need to carry a purse around the ship, they are handy to keeping track of your card when you don't have pockets. I have a glittery rhinestone one that I like. I have been on 24 cruises. Only a snob would criticize someone for wearing one.

You didn't say what ship you are on, but if it's the Koningsdam be aware that you can't punch a hole in the key card because that would mess up the RFID. Use one with a pouch. That's what I use on all ships.

Thank you for that information. Our next cruise is on the Koningsdam. We also use a pouch that we would carry our ID in and funds when we leave the ship. Now we will only need the pouch.

Also need to correct an earlier remark - it should have said "no pockets"

I wear one (pouch style); I can’t imagine caring what anyone else thought about what I was wearing. I find them practical & useful.

As an aside, I live and work in the DC area where visible badges are required for many jobs/workplaces. Men and women wear them as lanyards with professional dress. It just makes sense.

HAL has them for sale in the shops.

We have cruised before but are new to HAL! Should we bring lanyards for our cards or will they be provided? Do most cruisers wear lanyards in HAL?

I've always used a lanyard, as do a large percentage of passengers. Very handy and saves fishing around for the room key to charge something or when going ashore etc. There are also some very fancy lanyards you can use. I don't wear it in the evenings when going to dinner though as I always have a little purse instead. My husband also has one but tends to keep his card in his pocket, or has the lanyard under his shirt. Oh, and I'm not a newbie, got many cruises under my belt.;)

I don't understand why people use lanyards on cruises as a means to hold their card. Do those same people use lanyards at beach hotels? No, never see people wear them at beach hotels. Only at conventions. But to each their own. Just don't understand how you can find a place for your card at a beach hotel but need a lanyard on a cruise. Some people wear pins and medals on them and that's great. Again to each their own. But to say where do I put my card...I lose it otherwise... Put it in the same place you would at a beach hotel that also uses your card for charges.

No editorializing here. To just answer your question, No ... MOST cruisers on HAL do NOT wear lanyards.

You didn't say what ship you are on, but if it's the Koningsdam be aware that you can't punch a hole in the key card because that would mess up the RFID. Use one with a pouch. That's what I use on all ships.

I just got off the Koningsdam two weeks ago. I brought some wristlets from the dollar store and took our cards to Guest Services. They punched holes in them and they worked perfectly fine for the entire cruise. :)

Edited by *Miss G*

I wear one (pouch style); I can’t imagine caring what anyone else thought about what I was wearing. I find them practical & useful.

As an aside, I live and work in the DC area where visible badges are required for many jobs/workplaces. Men and women wear them as lanyards with professional dress. It just makes sense.

HAL has them for sale in the shops.

Most of my career (at least the last 25 years of it), I, too, wore a lanyard with my building key card attached. Most of the companies I worked for issued the lanyards, often emblazoned with the company logo or name, along with the cards (Silicon Valley).

I'll admit to being a "newbie" -- my first cruise ever was in September of this year -- and I used a lanyard for my card. It had a clear plastic "sleeve" on the front, and a small zipper compartment on the back where I could store a few dollars for onboard bar tips. I didn't wear it off the ship since I carried a small bag, but onboard, it was super convenient. I had a small magnet w/ hook attached that I kept near the door, and I just hung the lanyard on the hook whenever I entered the room. It worked so nicely that I'll likely use it on my next cruise, the Voyage of the Vikings next summer. And I saw a lot of folks with them, even some 4- and 5-star folks, so clearly not all "experienced" folks avoid lanyards. To each his or her own.

Didn't realize I'm a Newbie because I always wear a lanyard. It's the most convenient way for me and has worked just fine for over 900 days of cruising. Of course, on Princess, my black card shows that I'm not really a newbie, but frankly, I don't really care what conclusion anyone wants to make.