Lanyards

dthogue

IMHO lanyards are a neon sign saying 'I'm a newbie'. If you can't keep track of your card without having it strapped around your neck, well then.. ;)

A “newbie” wouldn’t necessarily know to wear a lanyard...a seasoned cruiser would! [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of these comments would make a newbie walk away and never consider HAL ever again. Just sayin'.

I can see using a lanyard if you're trying to keep things organized(especially if you're cruising with family)

No kidding. I am shaking my head trying to figure out the monumental importance of whether a person uses a lanyard or not. I'll stick to my first statement: it is a matter of personal preference, nothing more, nothing less.

I agree, I don't want anything hanging from my neck. To me it feels like a hazard.

Vera Bradley has one version of their lanyard that's a breakaway lanyard. It has a plastic piece that will open if too much stress is put on the strap. A VB employee told me that a lot of people on the medical field buy that one instead of the regular one.

I guess I just outed myself as a lanyard-wearer. :eek:

Vera Bradley has one version of their lanyard that's a breakaway lanyard. It has a plastic piece that will open if too much stress is put on the strap. A VB employee told me that a lot of people on the medical field buy that one instead of the regular one.

I guess I just outed myself as a lanyard-wearer. :eek:

LOL on outing yourself :D

I can accept the breakaway idea intellectually. Not so sure about emotionally, you know? But thanks for providing that information, I will think about it. I may not act on it, but I will think about it ;) And I do appreciate knowing about it.

No kidding. I am shaking my head trying to figure out the monumental importance of whether a person uses a lanyard or not. I'll stick to my first statement: it is a matter of personal preference, nothing more, nothing less.

Exactly ;) I don't see the big deal either - wear one or don't. It's all about each person's choice:D

shrimp66, I do the same thing, move the lanyard so that the card is on my back. I just do it automatically when I use the Kindle. I also bring my own punch, very lightweight, and punch the hole and put it on the lanyard as soon as I get it when boarding. Makes it easier to use when I board the ship and have my hands full with purse and carryon bags. I also found that few of my pockets were deep enough for the card to stay put and not fall out and get lost when I sit down.

I bought a sparkly lanyard in a ship gift shop for $10, later found that Walmart and the Dollar Stores sell the same thing for only 2 or 3 bucks.

Some of these comments would make a newbie walk away and never consider HAL ever again. Just sayin'...

Could also cause newbie Posters to walk away from CC and never risk posting ever again. Just sayin' ...

Great Post - thanks for sharing!

Could also cause newbie Posters to walk away from CC and never risk posting ever again. Just sayin' ...

Great Post - thanks for sharing!

Very true about newbies being scared off of Cruise Critic.

As someone said early the data about wearing lanyards versus not is not scientific in the least(but I've seen plenty of lanyards on my-many- HAL cruises.)

While I don't wear a lanyard, many folks do on cruises.

How many wear them just depends upon the passengers on board and their personal wishes.

No one is out of place if they are wearing them nor out of place if they are not. If you want to use one - go for it and if you choose not to, that's fine too. :D

People choose to wear lanyards for their own reasons. It has nothing to do with being a newbie or a seasoned cruiser. It's just a matter of choice.

Why do you always come up with the PC responses? Why not just lay it out there?

It's interesting what topics bring out strong feelings. We've been on 15 or 16 cruises and I always get my key card punched on the first day and wear it on a lanyard during the day.

First mistake.

I tuck it under my shirt when off the ship. That way I always have it and it can't get lost. My husband carries his in his pocket because he always has pockets and they are deep enough that the card doesn't get bent or pop out when he sits down. Two relevant lanyard stories: Once I was on an elevator with a first time cruiser who noticed my lanyard and said: "What a great idea. Sometimes you have to learn the tricks from people who have cruised before." (Just the opposite of the "newbie" remark on this thread.) And I, too, used to have trouble with my card not working. After I went back to the desk for the second or third time the lady who "fixed" my card pointed out that I was carrying my Kindle against my chest and it was demagnetizing the card. Lesson learned.

And you know that how? Is there a survey?

I can say that most passengers on all my cruises have indeed used lanyards.

I stand semi-corrected. On my many Cruises on Holland America, I have personally noticed that most of the cruisers do not wear lanyards.

This is not to say that it is a good thing or a bad thing because it is absolutely a matter of preference.

I did not conduct a survey as it was relatively easy to notice if people had lanyards around their neck. I can’t speak for those who tuck them down their shirts on the ship however it’s still appeared as if most of the cruisers did not wear them.

Of course, There were several cruisers who did wear them.

I hope this clarifies my simple attempt to answer the OP’s question based On my personal experience.

Why do you always come up with the PC responses? Why not just lay it out there?

Pardon my ignorance but what is a PC response.

I thought I was quite clear?

I really don't understand your problem with laynyards. As I said, I don't need them but others find them useful. what's the big deal?

Everyone should do what is right for them:)

Pardon my ignorance but what is a PC response.

I thought I was quite clear?

I really don't understand your problem with laynyards. As I said, I don't need them but others find them useful. what's the big deal?

Everyone should do what is right for them:)

Politically Correct ??? 🤷. But that doesn’t fit with your post. Blame it on the full moon [emoji281]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For decades I wore lanyards in the military and civilian work. The last thing I want dangling around my neck, banging around and getting in the way on vacation is a lanyard.

I think its great people express themselves with lanyards. I just don’t get why lanyardians don’t use them on land at hotels & resorts. Both the ship and hotel have the same plastic cards that have the same functionality. They both work to gain access to your room and pay for stuff. That’s what makes me giggle thinking why they’re worn on a ship and not at land hotels.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a cruise passenger at any hotel/resort near a port pre/post cruise wear one. I did think they were for newbies or status queens. But hey personal preference and what doesn’t makes sense to one, may make sense to someone else…

Go lanyardians - be free.

I also bring my own punch, very lightweight, and punch the hole and put it on the lanyard as soon as I get it when boarding.
If you go on the Koningsdam, have the front desk or concierge do it. Because of the RFID chip the hole has to be placed carefully. Edited by catl331

For decades I wore lanyards in the military and civilian work. The last thing I want dangling around my neck, banging around and getting in the way on vacation is a lanyard.

I think its great people express themselves with lanyards. I just don’t get why lanyardians don’t use them on land at hotels & resorts. Both the ship and hotel have the same plastic cards that have the same functionality. They both work to gain access to your room and pay for stuff. That’s what makes me giggle thinking why they’re worn on a ship and not at land hotels.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a cruise passenger at any hotel/resort near a port pre/post cruise wear one. I did think they were for newbies or status queens. But hey personal preference and what doesn’t makes sense to one, may make sense to someone else…

Go lanyardians - be free.

Status queen? Express myself? What a peculiar view to attach to convenience.

Of course I don’t use a lanyard at a hotel. To begin with I carry a purse whilst staying at hotels and the only thing I need the card for is entering my room. I just sign a slip for purchases and have never been required to show my room key——ever.

As stated earlier, I don’t carry a purse onboard and often don’t have pockets. The lanyard is mere convenience. I suppose I could tuck it in my bra to keep the anti lanyardians happy but that’s a whole other popcorn thread isn’t it

I suppose I could tuck it in my bra to keep the anti lanyardians happy but that’s a whole other popcorn thread isn’t it

Ha ha ha ha ha - that is gold!

I wear a lanyard at work and have been known to use one whilst cruising. I use one with a 'quick release' mechanism just in case.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Forums mobile app