snorkeling St Thomas---what's available?

trouble1964

We just got changed to St Thomas last week. I'm having a hard time finding something affordable that will suit our needs. We will be there 11/16

We want to mostly go snorkeling, on a catamaran, or a boat that will have shade, a bathroom, lunch, and BEER. We don't want a private charter, as we like to chat with others.

We well be there from 8-5 ship time, and would like something that lasts for more than 4 hours.

I realize that is a lot of "wants". We've been changed twice, and all my research on flew out the window when we were, lol.

If you have something that sounds like it would be for us, or know one that will, please let me know!

Hi

I am on a cruise December and have also been changed twice. On the Holland America website, there are no excursions showing for St Thomas and after reading a number of posts on the condition of the island, I'm not convinced that I will be going to St Thomas and expect another change

We just got changed to St Thomas last week. I'm having a hard time finding something affordable that will suit our needs. We will be there 11/16

We want to mostly go snorkeling, on a catamaran, or a boat that will have shade, a bathroom, lunch, and BEER. We don't want a private charter, as we like to chat with others.

We well be there from 8-5 ship time, and would like something that lasts for more than 4 hours.

I realize that is a lot of "wants". We've been changed twice, and all my research on flew out the window when we were, lol.

If you have something that sounds like it would be for us, or know one that will, please let me know!

NCL updated their St. Thomas list of excursions post hurricanes. There are two catamaran snorkel trips. One to Turtle Bay and one to Congo Bay.

We will be in St Thomas on 11/10. The re-opening of Megan's Bay is supposed to be that day according to RCCL. The excursions weren't posted for several days after the change in our itinerary was announced. Haven't done an excursion in ST for many years as we generally just taxi it or do a snorkel boat trip. Worried about relying on taxis in the first place and relying on possible inaccurate info from the drivers re: what is open and water quality. The posted excursions are Megan's Bay, Sapphire Beach, Secret Sands (John Smith Beach), a snorkel trip to Turtle Bay, a snorkel trip to Buck Island, a two stop snorkel trip tba, and a sail to Honeymoon Beach. There is also a 6 hr island tour. Not sure what we are doing yet but I will post on this site on 11/11 when we return and let you all know what is going on in St Thomas.

Wondering what the snorkeling conditions (water clearity, etc.) are in St. Thomas/St. John after the recent hurricanes?? :confused:

I have had the same thought, reading all the snorkeling threads. I did not want to burst anybody's enthusiasm, but I have encountered cloudy conditions after just a normal, seasonal rainy season in the islands.

I cannot imagine decent conditions this year anywhere near any of the impacted islands.

I have had the same thought, reading all the snorkeling threads. I did not want to burst anybody's enthusiasm, but I have encountered cloudy conditions after just a normal, seasonal rainy season in the islands.

I cannot imagine decent conditions this year anywhere near any of the impacted islands.

Hear you! None of us want to be a "Fun Sponge" ... but people do need know what to actually expect.

The impact on the water clarity is not a concern now, and from what I’ve been told the coral and reefs throughout the US and BVI survived remarkably well...

The foliage and infrastructure took the brunt though...

Thanks as always, my trusted friend.

Hopefully, what you've been told is true!

LuLu

Thanks as always, my trusted friend.

Hopefully, what you've been told is true!

LuLu

Hi LuLu! Yes we can only learn from first-hand experience, for sure. Time will tell, we’re all anxious (as are the residents and businesses there) for these islands to recover enough for tourism to be able to return.

I have been reading about clean up efforts on St Thomas. Something beach goers might consider... that is underwater hazards. While they may clean the beach there may be nails, shards of glass and other debris hidden below the water... and this could change from day to day with the currents and tides. You might want to consider wearing those water shoes, not sure what they are called... but some type of foot protection. Given that the hospital was severely damaged... you don't want to have to seek care for cut foot. Snorkeling off a boat might be a better idea. Also a small first aid kit might not be a bad idea. Okay, perhaps I am overly concerned, but from what I hear from a friend who has a home there.... the damage was substantial and they have a long way to go to recover fully.

You’re not overly concerned at all Kearney, that is a very real concern and a valid point that hasn’t been discussed enough on this forum. We’ve seen the debris scattered throughout the islands and strewn along the beaches, and there is certainly the possibility of being injured by something in the sand. Water shoes are definitely a good idea.