26 Glaciers cruise before embarkation

ikesyd

Has anyone taken the Phillips 26 Glaciers cruise (travelling from Anchorage via rail) on the day of departure on a Princess cruise from Whittier?

If so is our luggage checked in at the rail depot in Anchorage for transportation to the ship, so we only have to deal with our hand luggage for glacier cruise?

Ship is scheduled to depart at 8.30pm how much time will we have after Glacier cruise returns to check in for Princess cruise?

Is that too late to complete boarding?

I don't think so, but check online for when to be on board. I can't find it off hand, but I'm boarding tomorrow and if I remember, I'll check and let you know.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think so, but check online for when to be on board. I can't find it off hand, but I'm boarding tomorrow and if I remember, I'll check and let you know.

Any update on this? Our cruise is scheduled to leave Whittier on the 4th of July at 8:30PM, and if possible, we would love to do the 26 glacier tour ending at 5:30 before boarding. If that is too late/risky, there is a shorter glacier cruise ending at 4:45 we could do. This is not only our first trip to Alaska but also our very first time going on a cruise, so we definitely don't want to be too late!

I am planning on doing 26 glacier cruise after rail and before boarding ship in 2 weeks. I called railroad and they indicated that bags are checked in in anchorage and will be put on ship if you put ship tags on them. Glacier cruise ends at 530 and its right by ship. I called 26 glacier and many people do this cruise before boarding ship.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Many people on this board have done the tour ending at 530 before boarding ship and say its good. I have been on this cruise before and enjoyed it but this is the first time for me leaving from Whittier. I have 830 departure time too. You usually need to board 90 minutes before departure but check the travel summary. Enjoy Alaska.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Any update on this? Our cruise is scheduled to leave Whittier on the 4th of July at 8:30PM, and if possible, we would love to do the 26 glacier tour ending at 5:30 before boarding. If that is too late/risky, there is a shorter glacier cruise ending at 4:45 we could do. This is not only our first trip to Alaska but also our very first time going on a cruise, so we definitely don't want to be too late!

You can definitely do the longer cruise. Enjoy!

I just did the 26 Glacier Excursion this week through Holland America. Of the 335 passengers, only 80 of us were from Holland America Line. The bus ride from Whittier to Anchorage is a little more than 1.5 hours. The excursion ends around 5:30 and the bus is loaded for the trip to Anchorage by 5:50 PM.

It is important to note that the tunnel outside of Whittier is one-way only with Anchorage-bound traffic allowed to enter the 2.5 mile tunnel between 6:00 and 6:20 PM. If there is any delay in the excursion, the next tunnel access for Anchorage will be at 7:00 PM.

Has anyone taken the Phillips 26 Glaciers cruise (travelling from Anchorage via rail) on the day of departure on a Princess cruise from Whittier?

If so is our luggage checked in at the rail depot in Anchorage for transportation to the ship, so we only have to deal with our hand luggage for glacier cruise?

Ship is scheduled to depart at 8.30pm how much time will we have after Glacier cruise returns to check in for Princess cruise?

Have you called the tour company? I would guess that they should know as I am sure that they have dealt w this question many times.

DON

We are doing a back to back with Whittier as our turn around port. We booked the 26 glacier tour through Princess and have a 5:30 end time for the tour. You probably will be on the same boat as others that have a cruise ship guarantee to get back to the ship on time.

I just did the 26 Glacier Excursion this week through Holland America. Of the 335 passengers, only 80 of us were from Holland America Line. The bus ride from Whittier to Anchorage is a little more than 1.5 hours. The excursion ends around 5:30 and the bus is loaded for the trip to Anchorage by 5:50 PM.

It is important to note that the tunnel outside of Whittier is one-way only with Anchorage-bound traffic allowed to enter the 2.5 mile tunnel between 6:00 and 6:20 PM. If there is any delay in the excursion, the next tunnel access for Anchorage will be at 7:00 PM.

The OP is doing a Princess cruise, so leaves from Whittier. I am hearing it's walking distance from 26 glaciers to the ship.

From the little 26 Glacier check-in hut to the sidewalk in front of the cruise terminal is maybe 50 steps. Major Marine is even closer. Believe me, you can’t get lost.

Princess used the 26 Glacier tour as an excursion on Wednesday, and it looked very full as we sailed past. The Major Marine boat was smaller, but we had only 23 on board.

The day prior, I took the 26 Glacier tour with no cruise ships in Whittier, and again had only 30 or so people on board.

I took the train after the tour on Tuesday, and we were back from the tour at 5:30 in plenty of time to make the 6:45 trip back to anchorage. In fact, the coldest part of the trip was waiting outside for the train.

Have you called the tour company? I would guess that they should know as I am sure that they have dealt w this question many times.

DON

Thanks everyone for the confirmation that this tour would be possible. I received an email reply from Phillips Cruises that this is a common tour undertaken by passengers departing on a Princess cruise. We will opt for the train transfer so we can have our luggage checked in at Anchorage and will only have our carry on bags.

Philips IS the ship contractor. I always prefer an alternative option for my boat tours. This does give a very nice look at glaciers, but there are at least 2 other routes offered with the major companies.

Philips IS the ship contractor. I always prefer an alternative option for my boat tours. This does give a very nice look at glaciers, but there are at least 2 other routes offered with the major companies.

I thought there were only 2 companies offering cruises of Prince William Sound - Phillips(26 glaciers & Glacier Quest) & Major Marine. What are the other routes and companies?

I thought there were only 2 companies offering cruises of Prince William Sound - Phillips(26 glaciers & Glacier Quest) & Major Marine. What are the other routes and companies?

No there is also Lazy Otter. Take a look at route maps. They have very different routes. My preference is Surprise Glacier for the usual multiple rafts of sea otters, and the transit via Ester Passage. Blackstone Glacier is extremely scenic as well.

All of them are excellent. I do find Philips, is more on the move though which more time sometimes would be preferred at some stops.

• 4 years later...

I have the same question, but it's 3 years later than the last post in this thread.  The Philips 26 Glacier cruise finishes at 6:20 and my HAL cruise departs at 8:00.  I wanted to book via HAL, but they said they do not offer this as a pre-cruise option now.  The person I spoke to at Philips Cruises said they do this all the time, and will hold our luggage in their ticket office.  But... i don't want to start my first cruise in a hurried rush, or worse miss the ship.

The shorter cruise runs till 4:30, but doesn't go up College Fjord. And Major Marine no longer sails out of Whittier. 

Any recent experience with sailing out of Whittier and Phillips pre-cruise?

Edited by FF_Fred
Typo

I have done this cruise a few times.  There is no big rush.  The ship has to wait for the train from Denali, which normally arrives around 6pm.  I don't think they go into Barry Arm anymore because of the landslide but go all the way up College Fjord.  You should check your itinerary and see if the ship does College Fjord (not usual on a southbound as they would normally do Hubbard).

I wouldn’t worry too much about missing your cruise.  You get off the 26-glacier next door to where you board HAL.  Just a quick trip across the parking lot!  Only will have to wait if you try to board at the same time as the train passengers!  Gets a little backed up!

If Phillips says they do it all the time, I would trust them and go in the tour.  They will make every effort to get you back on time!  (Full disclosure—I took the 26-glacier cruise prior to a Princess cruise not HAL.)

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 4:30 AM, FF_Fred said:

I have the same question, but it's 3 years later than the last post in this thread.  The Philips 26 Glacier cruise finishes at 6:20 and my HAL cruise departs at 8:00.  I wanted to book via HAL, but they said they do not offer this as a pre-cruise option now.  The person I spoke to at Philips Cruises said they do this all the time, and will hold our luggage in their ticket office.  But... i don't want to start my first cruise in a hurried rush, or worse miss the ship.

The shorter cruise runs till 4:30, but doesn't go up College Fjord. And Major Marine no longer sails out of Whittier. 

You will be fine. Cruise lines often offer this for back to back passengers. Also, I have had friends who have done this boat ride on their land trip before they get on a ship. It is timed so people can do this boat ride and then get on a ship. You will not be rushed. You will not be the only one on your ship on this boat.

Edited by Coral

On 2/10/2023 at 4:30 AM, FF_Fred said:

You won't miss the ship. Lots of people do this. Great excursion.

• 4 weeks later...

If I'm reading the description correctly for the HAL excursions, they offer this AFTER our cruise is over in Whittier and it gets us to Anchorage via the catamaran for our very late flight home.  Has anyone ever done this?