Classic versus Premium drink package

dpm321

i had the classic beverage package a couple of years ago and ordered a martini at the Martini Bar. The bartender said he would have to charge me for the drink and did so. Since then I have always used the premium package. On the Eclipse last month, the couple we were traveling with had the classic package and when ordering martinis at the Martini Bar, they were only charged the "difference," $3.00. Does anyone know what the policy is when an ordered drink exceeds the limit on your package? If it's only the difference you could potentially avoid upgrading. Thanks.

I guess I may as well keep on upgrading. I don't drink at home, but I find it so hard to pass the martini bar and not stop for a break.

Many people who comment on the need to 'not upgrade' consistently equate it to alcohol beverages only, there are quite a few other beverages which are upgraded, if one cares about them as well i.e. water, certain coffees, beers, etc..

Take a look at X's website on beverage packages and one can compare the various differences beyond alcohol. Of course, this holds absolutely true (no reason to upgrade), if alcohol is the only reason one chooses, to or not to, upgrades the package.

bon voyage

Celebrity has also changed the selections in the premium vs classic ! if you have a brand, then look and wait until the 20% off to upgrade.

Jack Daniels was always in the classic and is now in premium. Other liquors are also changed.

eaglewar............Rick

You now pay the difference. However, the cost to upgrade is now $14 + 18% instead of $10+ 18%. Therefore, depending on how many drinks you have over the $9 limit, it may no longer be cost effective to upgrade.

Is this price per person per day of per cabin per day?

This is the way I approached the drink packages on my last cruise. Simple math.

The Premium package is $69/night per person. It will cover pretty much any drink plus tip. It says it covers drinks up to $15 but we had no issues on our last cruise. I took an average price of $11. That means I need to drink at least 6 drinks per day to make it worth it. 2 Mimosas at breakfast, 2 cocktails at dinner, 2 cocktails at the blackjack table later in the evening. Not getting sloppy drunk. This is something I can achieve. I can do this even at days we are in port. Days at sea I may have a little more by the pool. I'm also not counting coffees or red bulls or bottled water.

The purpose for me to sign up for the package was to have peace of mind during the cruise and not have to worry about getting a huge bill at the end of the trip. Even if I broke even and my average spend was $69/day or close to it, it was something I didn't have to worry about.

Just do the math to see if your drinking style/preferences make it worth the money. It makes sense for my wife and I so we pay it.

We had the classic last week and had the premium last Dec. I found that you can get several martinis at any bar on the classic package such as dirty martini, regular martini, cosmo, appletini and lemondrop. I also found that the Mexican Firing Squad which is covered on the classic tastes very much like the El Don Julio at the World Class Bar which is only included on the premium package.Therefore, I never did the premium upgrade

I guess I may as well keep on upgrading. I don't drink at home, but I find it so hard to pass the martini bar and not stop for a break.

Obviously there are other reasons to upgrade to premium - such as more expensive wines. But if your only reason is to get $12 martinis, then you would need to order 5 martinis per person per day to justify the cost of the upgrade!

Many people who comment on the need to 'not upgrade' consistently equate it to alcohol beverages only, there are quite a few other beverages which are upgraded, if one cares about them as well i.e. water, certain coffees, beers, etc..

Take a look at X's website on beverage packages and one can compare the various differences beyond alcohol. Of course, this holds absolutely true (no reason to upgrade), if alcohol is the only reason one chooses, to or not to, upgrades the package.

bon voyage

Which coffee drinks can you only get with the premium? I was told all specialty coffees would be covered by the class package.

The ones with alcohol are only Premium, as I remember

There were 2 that you could get with classic only last summer., but maybe this has changed.

I usually got the Cafe Ole and my husband liked the Cafe Kingston--these were the ones on the classic package.

Celebrity has also changed the selections in the premium vs classic ! if you have a brand, then look and wait until the 20% off to upgrade.

Jack Daniels was always in the classic and is now in premium. Other liquors are also changed.

eaglewar............Rick

Rick, do they offer the 20% off to upgrade once you board the ship?