Partial vs Full transit

TulipBee

I am keen to do a PC cruise in 2017 and have been looking at options. I've noticed that there are quite a few that are FL round trips that talk about it being a "partial transit". I'd be keen to hear from someone who has done one of these cruises to see if it is still worth it, or if I should keep searching and find a full transit?

The partial transit is certainly a very worthwhile cruise and it is a great second choice instead of a full transit. While it is a great "second" choice, (I have done numerous) it still is not as good as a full transit particularly when you add where you are coming from... IMO I would really want to consider a full transit.

If in the end you decide on a partial transit, the one way you can really see a large part of the Canal on a partial transit cruise is to elect the shore excursion that takes you to the Pacific side for a transit of the Pacific Locks and through Gaillard Cut as well. The different cruise lines call this excursion by different names, but it is essentially a partial transit involving part of the Canal you won't see by the cruise ship. The area the cruise ship covers in a partial transit is confined to the Atlantic entrance, Gatun Locks and a very small part of Gatun Lake. If you don't elect the excursion I noted you will only see about 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal.

Edited by BillB48

If you look down the board there are MANY threads discussing and describing the "partial transit" as opposed to the full transit. I will agree with others that a full transit is more desirable, but a partial transit is definitely still a worthwhile adventure.

And we have done both, several times. The Canal- particularly the old Canal, is something you just have to see.

With the "partial", you go through 3 set of locks from the Caribbean side...and come back out. The advantage is beginning and ending your cruise from the same home port. Coming from Australia, that may not be an issue for you! A full transit would have you start on one side of the country, and end on the other! Because you're coming from such a distance, that's what I'd do!

It really depends how "into" the canal you are....for me, seeing and going thru the "partial" was ample to "get a feel" of the canal. You may want more than that!

Edited by cb at sea

While I understand that some folks have problems either with flying or vacation time, whenever the issue of "full" versus "partial" transit arises I always feel somewhat sorry for those who select the partial transit. We've done four full transits of the Panama Canal, with a fifth one scheduled for 2017, and we have throughly enjoyed all of them.

One of the things I liked best about my one full transit, was the long time spent in Gatun Lake, which I didn't expect. The lake was beautiful and primeval and quiet, like going back in time. The jungle is close by. I never tired of looking at it and saw some wildlife. I think we were a number of hours just in the lake part, not the lock part. It was great. Had room service lunch on the balcony and it was wonderful. Very peaceful. The ship of course goes pretty slow which also makes it nice.

One vote here for Full Transit! This is such an incredible experience and full of history.

Read "The Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough

One of my favorite authors. Definitely a must-read for anyone interested in a Panama Canal cruise.

Our ship Only had 650 passengers and I swear it seems that every one was reading that book! What an exciting site at 6::30 in the morning as the sun started coming up to look out our balcony and see ships for as far as the eye could see. The Capt said that some had been waiting for days, no ship enters the canal until their funds have cleared. We watched as the pilot and crew came aboard about 5:30 and then at around 7am we sailed under the Bridge if the Americas as we entered the canal. It was amazing !

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I also presume that this is one those cruises where a balcony is a must?

If you choose a balcony, do it for how you would use for the rest of your cruise, not so much for your transit. Otherwise any cabin you are happy with is great. I recommend that you position yourself in areas of the ship that will allow you to be able to see whatever is of interest. At the Canal, spending a large part of the transit on a balcony limits you in seeing only half of what is available. I know a lot of people do enjoy a break on their balcony for some of the more "quiet" portions of the transit such as the Gatun Lake crossing. However, if your balcony happens to be on the "wrong" side of the ship you will never know what you may have missed. You possibly may not see any of the passing ship traffic as you cross Gatun Lake or interesting scenery... below is an example I like to use for items that you probably would like to see on your transit. At the Canal just be available for whatever comes along!

Now if you were enjoying your balcony on the starboard side you would not even know this ship sailed past.

29xybns.jpg

Due to time constraints we took a Partial Transit cruise in December 2014. We enjoyed every minute of it but hope to go back for the full transit experience in the future.

You might be interested in seeing slide shows my wife made for her website with pictures she took on our cruise. The link below will take you there.

Island Princess Panama Canal Partial Transit Cruise

Thanks for all this information. We are doing the full transit in October which came about totally by chance. NCL recently cancelled our 11 night Mexican Riviera cruise and replaced it with a 14 night Panama Canal cruise instead. We will be on the Miami to San Diego sailing. We chose to do that route vs. San Diego to Miami so we can get the long distance flying (from Seattle) out of the way before the cruise. Very excited for this cruise! We have an aft cabin so we will have spectacular views. We have never sailed on the aft before (side balcony on prior cruises) so am glad we are on the aft for this particular cruise.

The partial transit is certainly a very worthwhile cruise and it is a great second choice instead of a full transit. While it is a great "second" choice, (I have done numerous) it still is not as good as a full transit particularly when you add where you are coming from... IMO I would really want to consider a full transit.

If in the end you decide on a partial transit, the one way you can really see a large part of the Canal on a partial transit cruise is to elect the shore excursion that takes you to the Pacific side for a transit of the Pacific Locks and through Gaillard Cut as well. The different cruise lines call this excursion by different names, but it is essentially a partial transit involving part of the Canal you won't see by the cruise ship. The area the cruise ship covers in a partial transit is confined to the Atlantic entrance, Gatun Locks and a very small part of Gatun Lake. If you don't elect the excursion I noted you will only see about 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal.

When I was looking a "partial" is what I initially booked. Then I read about that excursion (and noticed the bus ride time) and when I added in that cost a full transit was only about $300pp more - $60/day for five extra days so I switched:D

Edited by pspercy

When I was looking a "partial" is what I initially booked. Then I read about that excursion (and noticed the bus ride time) and when I added in that cost a full transit was only about $300pp more - $60/day for five extra days so I switched:D

IMO in considering cruises, longer is always better and you will get to enjoy the Canal in its entirety:)!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm confused. I'm looking at a Princess March 8th sailing. It says full transit yet it starts at ends in Florida. Would that be a typo then?

I'd be suspicious! How many days is a big clue! Full Transit is long and usually goes from east to west and not RT

I'm confused. I'm looking at a Princess March 8th sailing. It says full transit yet it starts at ends in Florida. Would that be a typo then?

If you are talking the March 8, 2017 sailing of the Coral Princess(info that would helped us help you), looking at the Princess website, I don't see "full transit" mentioned anywhere for that sailing. It says round trip from Florida, which makes it a partial transit.

The Island Princess is doing the full transits that month.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I'm sure the full transit is a superior choice, but I'm thankful the partial transit is an option. As my wife and I are in our early 30s with work and family obligations the full transit is out if our reach for a while. A PC cruise is a bucket list item and the partial will allow us to take an excursion to the Pacific side without taking more time away from our son and work. I'm sure someday we will do a full transit, but not having the ability now makes the partial a great alternative. Can't wait until Dec.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the interesting comments, as I was going to post this same question. I would love to do full transit, but I found a partial transit that fits into my son's school holidays and was debating on whether or not to book it, or just wait until I get find a full transit that crosses one of his breaks and pull him out for a few days.