Solo traveller & dining

NukeTim

Any recommendations for a solo traveller for evening dining in the dining room? I don't think I'd like eating alone, but wonder about "sharing a table" as the main dining room host would ask? I'm on As You Wish dining.

Any recommendations for a solo traveller for evening dining in the dining room? I don't think I'd like eating alone, but wonder about "sharing a table" as the main dining room host would ask? I'm on As You Wish dining.

You can certainly join tables.

Have you joined your roll call for your cruise? We have had several solos and they were often invited to other tables of roll call members who were doing anytime dining (open dining).

they joined us at PG lunches, Master Chef's Table, etc. and we all had fun.

At the risk of being flamed it's one of the advantages of a good roll call ;)

No problem at all though to join other tables ;)

As a frequent solo cruiser, I recommend that you surely accept being seated with others since you are plan to be a As You Wish Dining guest. It is interesting meeting with others. You might even connect positively enough with some other guests that you would choose to meet them elsewhere during the cruise and/or have dinner with them again.

A negative, at least for me, with As You Wish Dining is the nightly repeat of "Who are you? Where do you live? Have you cruised before? and etc. For me, that gets very old, very quickly.

For me, I find fixed seating a better choice inasmuch as a less superficial relationship may develop with my table mates and surely with my dining room stewards.

The negative of this, however, is the possibility of being seated with others that one finds not compatible. If that should happen, an immediate after dinner visit with the MDR Manager or his/her Assistants should happen to request a different table assignment and your reason for doing so.

I've dined as a solo any number of times over the years, for periods ranging from 7 to over 30 days. I would suggest asking to be seated at a table for six. That number usually gives a good mix of people, but is few enough that you can still hear the conversation. More people at the table can result in more than one conversation going on, and the solo gets left out of both of them.

Instead of open seating (what you referred to as 'As You Wish') you should consider fixed seating. With the same tablemates every night you get to know them better, and get past the continuous first-night pleasantries. You run into each other, and may actually spend time together outside the dining room.

If you decide it's not a good table you can switch to another table, or to open seating. It's easier to move one person than a larger party.

I've sailed as a solo on HAL and other mass market lines, and I encourage you to accept the opportunity to dine with others. I generally prefer Anytime to Fixed dining (due to my own preference to stay late in ports but have the option to dine whenever is convenient for me). It's nice to meet others; the "introductions" generally only take a few minutes, and it's also nice to see familiar faces around the ship. I usually get to meet quite a few fellow cruisers this way.

Although I have been fortunate as a solo cruiser to be with friends my last two cruises I have made some observations. I have noticed that at main fixed seating, at tables for six to eight, not the same people appear each evening. This was consistent over a 26 night cruise. It could be due to alternate dining onboard and folks just wishing to dine in their cabins. I would go with anytime dining and be assured you would not be sitting at a table by yourself.

I've been solo 3 times and have tried a number of options. My first solo cruise (20 days) I ate in the Lido all but 3 nights. It was mostly out of preference ( pick my own food and enjoy the fabulous views) and a reluctance to do the MDR as a solo. (I'm kind of shy.) When I got up enough courage and did the MDR, it was at a table alone. And I did enjoy it.

The next cruise I decided to give a shared table a try, and survived. :o Actually, when I realized the first night EVERYONE was in the same boat, it made it less difficult. ;)

Since then, I've gotten more comfortable and have done mostly shared tables, occasionally a table for 1. On each of my last 2 cruises we had a group that had so much fun together we met again later in the cruise to do it again.

(And even funnier, I ran into 2 ladies from the previous cruise last time, and had dinner one more time!). You just never know.

I much prefer fixed dining because I don't want to have to eat with different people each night. I have been very lucky to have great tablemates. On one cruise I was able to change to fixed dining once on the ship. I was put with three couples and was afraid I would be the odd one out. Turned out to be one of the best experiences I have had. This was the only cruise that they would not guarantee me fixed seating in advance. On my other solo cruises I have been put with other solos which is also nice.

I have done many solo cruises. I highly recommend fixed time in the MDR. As someone said, if evening 1 or 2 (1 can be missed by jet lagged people) don't work out then ask to change. And you still have the Lido buffet as a backup option...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

I always travel solo and prefer the as you wish dining as I don't want a set dining time because I prefer the flexibility it gives you. When dining in the MDR I always ask to join a table, and have met some very nice people that way, and although you don't get to know them as well as you do with fixed dining you do get to meet a lot more people that way.

HAL solo cruiser here, and I prefer the open seating option where I ask to share a table with others. I used to prefer the fixed seating until I got a really onerous table on one cruise. Some of the people had me nearly in tears, and I should have asked for a change or just gone to the Lido.

Roz

HAL solo cruiser here, and I prefer the open seating option where I ask to share a table with others. I used to prefer the fixed seating until I got a really onerous table on one cruise. Some of the people had me nearly in tears, and I should have asked for a change or just gone to the Lido.

Roz

Roz - you are not alone in this. I'm sorry you got stuck with those people. I travel solo and, after having one table of nasty folks who drilled me on why I was alone, saying I was so "brave", didn't I have any friends to cruise with... On one cruise, I did a mix of asking to join a table and sitting solo. I decided I prefer my own company at dinner. My conversations with myself are always polite and nice and never boorish ;)

Roz - you are not alone in this. I'm sorry you got stuck with those people. I travel solo and, after having one table of nasty folks who drilled me on why I was alone, saying I was so "brave", didn't I have any friends to cruise with... On one cruise, I did a mix of asking to join a table and sitting solo. I decided I prefer my own company at dinner. My conversations with myself are always polite and nice and never boorish ;)

Slider Girl, that is exactly what I experienced! I felt like I was the odd animal out on Noah's Ark. :( I didn't know if they thought I was some kind of freak or someone to be pitied.

Roz

Roz

Didn't bring me nearly to tears, but I also had "the table from Hell" that even the MDR Manager avoided missing during his periodic table visits. I have since vowed that I will never allow myself to be placed in such a position again. A visit to the MDR Manager for a table change would be that evening's after dinner priority for me if I ever experience such a situation again.

I much prefer fixed dining because I don't want to have to eat with different people each night. I have been very lucky to have great tablemates. On one cruise I was able to change to fixed dining once on the ship. I was put with three couples and was afraid I would be the odd one out. Turned out to be one of the best experiences I have had. This was the only cruise that they would not guarantee me fixed seating in advance. On my other solo cruises I have been put with other solos which is also nice.

Second Seating dining on Star Princess, I was seated at a round table for six as I had requested. My table mates were a family of 5: Mother and Father and 3 children all of whom were either teen-agers or "late" pre-teens. How was I going to fit? Would this work? Those were my initial thoughts that first evening.

It worked extremely well! I did not feel like a "5th wheel". The younger members at my table were polite, well mannered, and when finished with their dinner, their parents excused them from the table to "do their own thing". Mother and Father and I had interesting conversations that included the children during dinner. And, those conversations continued while we enjoyed our desserts and coffee after the children left.

One never knows what to expect when one travels. But, isn't that part of the fun of traveling?

Thanks for all the replies and input. As of now, I think I'm gong to stick with 'As You Wish' dining. I like the idea that I can go at anytime and possibly could be joined by other solo travelers I meet. I will take your advice to ask for a table of 6 to 'share'. Seems to be a good number and not too large and not being stuck with just one couple if it's a table of 4. If i want to eat alone I can do that either in the main dining room or in the Lido. Since I'm on a 12 day cruise, I know I can always change to fixed dining if the above isn't working out. Thanks to all who replied.

Thanks for all the replies and input. As of now, I think I'm gong to stick with 'As You Wish' dining. I like the idea that I can go at anytime and possibly could be joined by other solo travelers I meet. I will take your advice to ask for a table of 6 to 'share'. Seems to be a good number and not too large and not being stuck with just one couple if it's a table of 4. If i want to eat alone I can do that either in the main dining room or in the Lido. Since I'm on a 12 day cruise, I know I can always change to fixed dining if the above isn't working out. Thanks to all who replied.

You don't have to choose among fixed dining, As You Wish, or Lido dining if you wish to dine alone. It's your choice. As a solo diner for second seating fixed dining, there ought not to be a problem. For first seating, yes, that could be impossible to arrange. Certainly for As You Wish, as long it is not within the prime dining times, a solo table ought to be made available for you. Just a word of caution about such, however. I asked for a solo table for breakfast one morning and found myself close to Siberia. The table was in a nook by itself, off the beaten path of my Steward (or any other ones). Not pleased with my seating and I expressed my displeasure to the Assistant DRM who placed me in that spot when I left the dining room.

Other options for solos include eating in the Lido, which on HAL has much of the same foods as the MDR, so I usually make a Lido visit early or late to sample each of the soups, since I know it will be warm, and the same is true for prime rib and lobster, which are cooked on the grill to your specifications while you're there (and you can get multiple lobster tails if you want). Dinners at the Lido aren't as crowded as at lunch, you can usually get a good window table, they upgrade the place settings at night, and I find the servers more friendly and female (some love to sing and joke and have fun, which I rarely see among the exclusively male waitstaff in the MDR).

The other solo benefit of HAL is being able to order MDR dishes sent to your cabin, if you don't want to sit in the MDR and just want a quick and relaxing meal in your cabin with a good movie, or if you don't want dessert right after dinner (I like ordering creme brulee, cold soups, and specialty salads, which aren't available in the Lido).

Both options give you the flexibility to not feel rushed (trying to get to shows or an Adagio/Lincoln Center performance, or be locked into an early dining time where you miss wonderful sunsets and sailaways and precious daylight, or end up in a long line if you go Anytime during peak times. You also get to eat when you're hungry, and Lido and room service allow me to sample more appetizers and desserts than I might ordinarily do, spread out through the evening.

I've dined as a solo any number of times over the years, for periods ranging from 7 to over 30 days. I would suggest asking to be seated at a table for six. That number usually gives a good mix of people, but is few enough that you can still hear the conversation. More people at the table can result in more than one conversation going on, and the solo gets left out of both of them.

Instead of open seating (what you referred to as 'As You Wish') you should consider fixed seating. With the same tablemates every night you get to know them better, and get past the continuous first-night pleasantries. You run into each other, and may actually spend time together outside the dining room.

If you decide it's not a good table you can switch to another table, or to open seating. It's easier to move one person than a larger party.

I completely agree with RuthC. I'm a solo sailor too and I always prefer a fixed dining, 6-top table. I usually get seated with 2 other couples, and sometimes we get another solo, sometimes not. Having an empty spot at the table usually bodes well for gala nights as an officer can get assigned to your table and that's always fun, especially when they're buying the wine! Hahahaha.

I've done the As You Wish Dining, and I get REALLY tired of the same old questions being asked every night. Short of making up a new name, new hometown and new career each night for fun, I much prefer a fixed dining table. I've become friends beyond the cruise with a number of my past table mates.

Yeah, I get the "you're so brave" a lot. Yawn. I tell them hey, life is short and you never know what tomorrow will bring, so when I want to travel, off I go, be it alone or with friends.

While some say that anytime dining is a good way to meet more people, my rebuttal is that I tend to meet a lot of people doing lunches shared, and breakfasts shared and keep my dinner at a fixed option. You can also meet people playing trivia, or sitting in the library, or going to happy hour. Lots of ways to meet others if you want.

I'm an early diner and I am hungry at 5:00 PM so I don't have the issue of rushing to make dinner when in port. That's just me.

• 9 months later...

This thread seems to be largely about solo travelers who want to dine with others.

I have a very different question: Can a solo who (for whatever reason) prefers dining alone select a solo table for fixed dining and be guaranteed that solo table. Being sent to the Siberia of the MDR is not as much an issue as being assured of the ability to dine alone.

Thanks.

As one who sails solo often, I prefer fixed dining with the same table mates. I have the kind of career that invites a lot of questions and comments and personal stories, and when I have open dining, I get so tired of telling my life story and hearing the same questions and horror stories each night anew, that I've decided it would be easer lying about what I do for a living...or...fixed dining so I only have to tell the story once. : )

I love being able to walk in, go to my table, and know (and get to know better) my table mates. But that's me.