An idea worth sharing

beachbum53

For the past few days, I've been giving some thought on how to keep small things organized while on a cruise, particularly things that you don't normally carry around, such as loose change, car keys, etc. In the past, once we would get into our cabin and unpack, I would empty my pockets and toss my loose change and car keys in a drawer, usually the same drawer I put my socks and undewear in. Then every time I would open and close the drawer, coins, keys, and any other small items would slide around. This time however, I've come up with an idea that I think will work just fine for me. I'm going to buy some Pringles Snack Stacks to take with us. Then, after we eat the chips from one (or more) of the little containers, I'll take a napkin and wipe out any crumbs or salt, and have a nice little container (or two) to keep the small stuff in. At the end of the cruise, I'll just throw the container(s) away. :)

Why not just take a ziplock baggie, and use that? Much smaller and easier to pack/carry than Pringles Snack Stacks, and cheaper, too!

True, but then I wouldn't have the Pringles to munch on (there is an ulterior motive to this :D).

Why not just take a ziplock baggie, and use that? Much smaller and easier to pack/carry than Pringles Snack Stacks, and cheaper, too!

Ziplock baggies are great.

Use them to put money in, camera when going to a beach, use them for camera extras such as memory cards, plugs, batteries, charger etc.

When I empty out my pockets, I just put all the loose items in a small pocket of my backpack/computer bag. Then I always know where it is and will be with me when I finish my cruise. I always have 2 backpacks, one for hauling electronics and stuff, the other (a much lighter bag) for shore trips.

I also put my keys, money, cell phone, train ticket home in one of the pockets of my carry-on bag. With the exception of some $ for excursion purchases, I might not even take those things out of the bag until I get back home.

I pack a small plastic tray or little round dish and leave it on the bureau. DH can empty the coins, cash from his pocket for overnight, his package of tums :), whatever little odds and ends seem to land on the countertop. I have various sizes but usually bring one that is 2 x 4" or so. Keeps all those small odds and ends organized.

I also bring a small plastic tray (pretty print) to use on my dressing table in the suite. I can put the odds and ends such as chapstick, lipstick, eyeliner pencil, deoderant etc on it. Only things I use daily or several times a day go on that small tray. Keeps it very neat.

We bring paper cups and/or small paper plates for small things, much easier to use than plastic bags IMHO. They don't weigh much, don't take up much room - cups can be filled with something before going in the suitcase, and we toss them on the last day.

we use a zippered pouch that was given to us by a TA. We keep all of the dollar bills, passports and change in it. If you look in the school supply departments they probably still make the cases that hold the pencils in the old fashion binders. which would also work and would be clear so you could see the contents.

A common item recommended on the Disney boards are over the door clear pocket shoe holders. I packed one on my first cruise and it was really helpful. You can put anything and everything in it and find it easily. ie: sunglasses, sunscreen, jewelry, hair accessories, hair brushes, shoes. Helped keep the cabin free of clutter.

When I empty out my pockets, I just put all the loose items in a small pocket of my backpack/computer bag. Then I always know where it is and will be with me when I finish my cruise. I always have 2 backpacks, one for hauling electronics and stuff, the other (a much lighter bag) for shore trips.

Same here.

Ziplock baggies are great.

Use them to put money in, camera when going to a beach, use them for camera extras such as memory cards, plugs, batteries, charger etc.

We pack with different size baggies for the little things like bandaids and first aid items, highlighters, hair accessories, chargers and socks and under garments. We take them with us and use them for bringing wet bathing suits and water shoes back from the beach. They are great to have in case you go on a boat or get caught in the rain and need somewhere dry for your camera.

My teen daughters were always making a mess in their cabin so I bought a mesh collapsible shower caddie and it worked great for keeping their jewelery, hair accessories and room keys from getting lost. I brought two collapsible laundry hampers this time for them and they used one for their dirty clothes and one to keep their shoes in. They found that these items really helped them keep their cabin respectable. One other thing that we brought was a few plastic suction hangers for wet bathing suits and quick changes.

Your Pringles stackers idea sounds great for change and jewelery, I will keep that one in mind.

I put stuff I do not need on the cruise itself EG car key, house key in a zip lock bag then in the safe ....my jewelry also goes in the baggie

My medication goes in another baggie and into the safe

I put stuff I do not need on the cruise itself EG car key, house key in a zip lock bag then in the safe ....my jewelry also goes in the baggie

My medication goes in another baggie and into the safe

WOW! Exactly what we do! :)

I have a coin purse, and dont keep so much change it doesnt fit. All money, goes into the safe!!!

I put the keys in a zipped place in my purse, and its one of the few things I dont lock up, but they would easily fit in the safe.

I dont need another way to keep them together, safe is good enough for me. OP you must be a man if you dont have a purse to keep things in.

When we travel, my husband tends to lay his ball cap upside down on the dresser, then he drops his keys, wallet, whatever into the cap. He always knows where everything is.

That's a great plan! Thanks for sharing! :)

I have a coin purse, and dont keep so much change it doesnt fit. All money, goes into the safe!!!

I put the keys in a zipped place in my purse, and its one of the few things I dont lock up, but they would easily fit in the safe.

I dont need another way to keep them together, safe is good enough for me. OP you must be a man if you dont have a purse to keep things in.

You're correct. I'm a guy, and I don't carry a purse. I do, from time to time, carry a toolbox, but I'm not planning on taking it with me. If something needs repaired on the ship, I'll let maintenance take care of it, 'cause I'll be on VACATION!!:D

Archived